Lower Leg Protectors?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Talons lower legs (the part below the hocks but above the foot) are constantly getting sores on them after he slides hard and gets scratches or just irritated skin he licks till they are wounds. We have been using some vet wrap to protect the area, but it is not a long term solution.

Anyone know of any product that would work without limiting his movements and still be comfortable for him?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Could you just cut the feet off of socks? Kid socks should be skinny enough to do the trick. Here are ones specifically made for dogs: http://www.alldogboots.com/Dog-Leg-Warmers-s/77.htm

Depends how much he would try to get them off, though. These aren't going to be tight--just cover it up.
Well when he stops he just goes as flat as possible and skids on all his legs because apparently he can't just stop, he has to stop on a dime or he becomes impatient. :rolleyes: So socks or those would likely just slide up and not protect him.

Flyball skid boots? I think the brand we used was Z-stop skid boots or something like that.
That's the exact kind of thing I'm looking for, but do you know if they can go on the back legs as well? He definitely needs them for both the front (he tears his stop pads up bad) and the back legs as well. >_<

iriskai

When I run my guys, I tape their front legs with vet wrap and a bit of cushion tape on top to keep them from tearing up their stopper pads, depending on how the ground is. I don't use anything on the back, but I have a friend who also vet wraps her boy's back legs because he has a tendency to hit the ground with everything. She also uses Desitin on his inner thighs in back for the same reason.

I've used Musher's Secret to 'lube' them up a bit and reduce friction when stopping.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
When I run my guys, I tape their front legs with vet wrap and a bit of cushion tape on top to keep them from tearing up their stopper pads, depending on how the ground is. I don't use anything on the back, but I have a friend who also vet wraps her boy's back legs because he has a tendency to hit the ground with everything. She also uses Desitin on his inner thighs in back for the same reason.

I've used Musher's Secret to 'lube' them up a bit and reduce friction when stopping.
We tape with vet wrap now, which works fine, but I don't want to be wrapping his legs for the rest of his life every time he goes to play anywhere. He is a habitual power slider that doesn't seem to feel pain. :rolleyes: I'm looking for something a bit easier than using vet wrap every time we go to play :)

FG167

That's the exact kind of thing I'm looking for, but do you know if they can go on the back legs as well? He definitely needs them for both the front (he tears his stop pads up bad) and the back legs as well. >_<
They do! I have the leather reinforced for Kastle who has ripped all the hair and skin off his back legs, work great! Make sure you measure precisely! I have a video of Kastle skidding into his box turns

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
They do! I have the leather reinforced for Kastle who has ripped all the hair and skin off his back legs, work great! Make sure you measure precisely! I have a video of Kastle skidding into his box turns
Sounds just like Talon! :p

That's really good to hear! I'm going to order some so the dope doesn't hurt himself anymore. ^_^

The leather reinforced are those from the Z-control skid boots place as well? Are yours the 2mm or 3mm? I'm thinking the 3 mm would be best though I'm not sure if they would affect his flexibility too much.

FG167

Sounds just like Talon! :p

That's really good to hear! I'm going to order some so the dope doesn't hurt himself anymore. ^_^

The leather reinforced are those from the Z-control skid boots place as well? Are yours the 2mm or 3mm? I'm thinking the 3 mm would be best though I'm not sure if they would affect his flexibility too much.
Here's the video! Look at about 0:40 seconds
[YOUTUBE]paOMSi1XV_Q[/YOUTUBE]

Mine are 2mm. Pan had 3mm but his dews ripped through them and the sewing couldn't hold up to the trauma. I think they were too rigid.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Here's the video! Look at about 0:40 seconds
[YOUTUBE]paOMSi1XV_Q[/YOUTUBE]

Mine are 2mm. Pan had 3mm but his dews ripped through them and the sewing couldn't hold up to the trauma. I think they were too rigid.
That;s good to know about the 3mm! Thanks

haha, Kastle really slides just like Talon! :rofl1:

Members online