Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Starting disc with an older dog

So Bamm is CRAZY about the disc.... like crazy border collie omg throw the **** disc crazy.

I want to start doing disc with him more. I don't know if we will get to competition stuff though I'm not throwing that idea away completely if he gets to a point where I'm comfortable attempting competition with him.

But... I do want to play disc with him.

Bamm is about 7.5 years old so he isn't an old old dog, but he isn't exactly young either. He is in ok shape... not sport dog shape since I don't do much sport stuff with him at this point.

What would you recommend as far as getting him into this sport? I don't want to push him too hard too fast. Are there any disc moves I should refrain from introducing to him?

It seems like a lot of people start disc with younger dogs and I'm also going to be doing disc with Cricket, but Bamm is really interested so I want to give him a shot. I just don't want to hurt him since he isn't exactly as limber as he used to be.

What would be your advice about starting this sport with a dog that is a little older?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Big Dog

My big black dog is a month away from turning 8, he started disc a little over a year ago. My recommendation would be keep your sessions short. Tired dogs make mistakes in landings, etc. Also, work on your throws like crazy without any dogs. You need to be certain that when the disc leaves your hand, it goes where you wanted it to go. Sloppy throws = sloppy catches = hurt dogs.

Many of the moves can be done safely with an older dog (he does flip catches, but they're certainly not as huge/high as my other dog's flips). He is also learning a back vault right not, however I'm kneeling on the ground for it versus standing like I do for Dex. That's why I love disc, you can modify any move you like and make it fit your dog.