Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Photography

Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Active Pup

Default Cameras and lenses

I LOVE photography. My current camera is a Sony DSC F828. It was a good first "real" camera, but, well... it sucks. It's super slow between pictures (I can only take 1 picture, and then wait about a second for it to process, and be ready to take another picture). It has been malfunctioning for a while. Not horrible, it's still usable, but it will turn off randomly(usually right when I'm about to take a picture, of course) and it is sooooo slow to process anything, and switch settings.

Sooo... I am looking into getting a new camera. Not sure how soon this can happen, as I am on a very tight budget. I'm looking at used/refurbished ones. I love Nikons. I'm pretty sure I want to go with a Nikon... no idea what kind. I also don't have a clue about lenses.

Any recommendations?

I photograph mostly outdoors, and 99.9% of my pictures are of dogs(lots of action shots).
Old 07-28-2013, 09:17 AM
rotties are my kryptonite

I have a Nikon D90 that I love, along with a few different lenses (Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 & 28-75 f/2.8, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 55-200mm & Sigma 70-300mm). The 50mm was only about $150 new, and the Tamrons were bought used off of CL for about $300 each.

I don't really have a lot of luck with action shots, and have been told by pros that it's due to my equipment, although I have seen great shots come from a D90. I think it's mostly operator error.

Maybe look for a refurb/used D90, or even a D7000. I'm not sure what costs look like these days, but keep your eyes Craigslist, maybe?
my delicate little flower

Last edited by RottenFlower; 07-28-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Top Dog

I like the Canon Rebel line for starters
Old 07-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Active Pup

I much prefer Nikon over Canon. I have got to try out both (training friends with nice cameras). Is there a specific reason why Canon Rebel is a good "starter line"? I'm no pro, but I have gotten decent pictures with my crappy old Sony. I don't intend to do pro photography but I don't want a camera to only use on the auto setting either I love taking pictures, and want to learn more on how to properly use settings on a "real" camera...

I LOVE the pictures I have seen from Nikon D90s! After looking up the price, I can see why!

What is more important, a better camera body, or a better lens?
I was looking at used Nikon D5000, which might be something I can afford. Is that model any good?
Old 07-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaShea View Post
I much prefer Nikon over Canon. I have got to try out both (training friends with nice cameras). Is there a specific reason why Canon Rebel is a good "starter line"? I'm no pro, but I have gotten decent pictures with my crappy old Sony. I don't intend to do pro photography but I don't want a camera to only use on the auto setting either I love taking pictures, and want to learn more on how to properly use settings on a "real" camera...

I LOVE the pictures I have seen from Nikon D90s! After looking up the price, I can see why!

What is more important, a better camera body, or a better lens?
I was looking at used Nikon D5000, which might be something I can afford. Is that model any good?
I switched from Canon to Nikon also, but found the Rebel line to be smaller/lighter/easier to use for when I was learning. That said, I started with Nikon D5000 and then bought a Nikon D7000, used a D90 a lot also. They are all three great cameras. I adored my D5000 and just upgraded for the lower light options. I was thrilled with my D5000 though and would have been just as happy with the D90 I think.

I vote get a serviceable body, get the best glass you can afford.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Active Pup

Is the D5000 not good in low light? I would like to be able to take photos at indoor dog shows (although not completely necessary, I prefer taking pictures outdoors anyways)
What lens did you use for your D5000? What would you recommend for photographing dogs, mainly outdoors, lots of action shots? Not generally shooting a very long distance away (although it would be helpful at schutzhund!)
Old 07-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaShea View Post
Is the D5000 not good in low light? I would like to be able to take photos at indoor dog shows (although not completely necessary, I prefer taking pictures outdoors anyways)
What lens did you use for your D5000? What would you recommend for photographing dogs, mainly outdoors, lots of action shots? Not generally shooting a very long distance away (although it would be helpful at schutzhund!)
I haven't noticed a significant difference actually between the two bodies. But, I'm not the most knowledgeable photographer either. I've been shooting Manual only for about 7 months now. My favorite lens for indoor stuff (I shot Flyball) was with my 50mm
Old 07-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

I have/use a D5000. And I'm poor so only have the kit lens, lol. I'm perfectly happy with it (though I'm looking at additional lenses)
Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Active Pup

I am really liking the looks of the D5000... The only thing I don't quite understand is lenses. Is it best to go with a Nikon lens, or a "Non mfg" lens? What is the kit lens? Buying used doesn't include a lens, so I'd have to buy one separately.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Top Dog

The kit lens is the 15-55mm lens.

I believe that other lenses will work fine, but it will only auto-focus with the nikon af-s lenses. (someone can correct me if I am wrong, though ) If you generally use manual focus, it wouldn't matter.