Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-28-2013, 01:25 AM
Top Dog

Zander has been loose to roam for most of his life. And in larger houses he is just fine. Often times didn't matter if I put him in a room because he can open doors.

In this apartment, though, there is so little space that there isn't a "no Zane" space. And it is just easier to have him out of the way when we come in. So he is kenneled now.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:45 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Yes, Morgan is left loose (indoors) when we are out of the house. That said, we have to do a quick pick-up routine every time we prepare to leave. There are a few specific items that he. CANNOT. resist if they are within reach. (Mostly laundry.)
Old 06-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Top Dog

Jasper has always been left loose, he never destroyed anything (I swear he was never a puppy...).

Yarrow needs to be crated, although he has gotten out of his crate a few times and he hasn't gotten into anything. As long as he's well exercised, I think he would be fine for shorter periods.

Onyx of course is crated, being a puppy and all.

None of them really get left alone very often though.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

StiXxX, Nat + Zellie haven't been crated in years.

Kaia + Gunnar are crated, and will be for the foreseeable future. Kaia would probably do okay, actually, but Gunnar has proven himself untrustworthy by chewing up a hat, a pair of shoes, a pair of sunglasses, a TV remote, a Wiimote, a cordless phone, a maglite flashlight and some paper. Oh, and PoopALooza a couple of weeks ago, when he broke through his kennel and shat all over my house.
my delicate little flower

Old 06-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

Lately, yes. They're in my room, since my parents' animals are in the rest of the house, but they're as loose as they can get. Occasionally I'll crate one or the other. If I'm taking one of the dogs, the other is always loose. I don't even have two crates available right now (FINALLY!). I have a second crate stacked on top of my large crate, but it's small, unstable, and Gwyneth's enclosure is in it. I should just put it in the basement for storms.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:01 AM
Top Dog

Now yes. When Biko was still alive we had to keep him separate, just because I was afraid he'd get trampled or hurt and trigger someone's prey drive.

I feel very fortunate in that all 3 can be loose together no worries. If Bates & Lunar did get in to it (which they haven't in years), they're typical boys in that they'll stop on their own. They're also very typical boys in that they won't argue with Breez.

Of course, Bates and Breez periodically make some uh... fun... decisions together. Only my dogs will leave the trash alone but spread the plastics recycling bin all around the house. Or leave the block of cheese on the counter alone but shred the brand new, still in the plastic $35 air filters.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 06-29-2013, 09:08 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
I feel very fortunate in that all 3 can be loose together no worries.
Same here. Really nice to not need to worry about them, and to not need to go through the extra steps of separating everyone when we leave.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Millie, absolutely. She's only been in a crate once in her life, and that was just a five second experiment to see how willing she'd be to go in one. She has full run of the house.

Fable. . .no, no, no. I don't even trust her to be in a different room than me (for example if I go into the bedroom I won't leave her in the living room for even a minute). I hope one day she'll be able to chill in the house when I'm gone, but that day is definitely not now, plus I would not leave Millie and Fable alone together.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:27 PM
and Fozzie B!

Lol I thought you meant loose outside at first... that would be sketchy. 0_o

Both of mine have been trustworthy inside since around 6 months old. Fozzie will not do anything while I'm gone, except nap on my bed, I've seen it for myself on webcam! Gonzo will occasionally get into trash/diapers/food if it's left on or around the floor, but that's my fault.

I almost forgot how mischievous puppies are. NOT looking forward to that!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Ozzy and Enzo have free roam of the house except for our bedroom, all the time. I don't have to worry (usually) about either one of them.

If I take both the girls somewhere though, Ozzy is locked up. He can get p*ssed off or maybe has some SA from the girls or something, because the one time we left him alone he did a bunch of bad things he hasn't done since puppy hood.

Jones, no. He'd probably be fine, but if he has to go, he has to GO, and if he's crated he'll hold it, but loose he's going to pee in front of the door.

Indy is a counter surfering, garbage can opening, table checking out, levitating meerkat, so she's crated if she's not with me. During the day, they can all be loose in the house while we're home, but if we're gone, or at night Indy and Jones are crated unless Indy's in the bed with me.