Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
She's adorable! She looks like a little firecracker! What is a "working line" dachshund--where would one find a breeder?
Oh she is, for sure! She's a real handful (think a Border Collie packed into a 9lb package), but I wouldn't change her for the world. She keeps me on my toes, that's for sure!

Working line is like any other working line breed. Nola is technically from working and performance lines. Her breeders hunts and tracks with their Dachshunds, but also does Agility, Earthdog and Rally-O with their dogs, very successfully I might add! Nola seems to have gotten the more performance type, but still has her hunting moments (like the time she snatched a cardinal out of the air in mid flight).
Nola's grandparents were also German imports.

I found her breeder almost by accident; I handled for a Bloodhound breeder who also did tracking and SAR with her dogs, and she knew Nola's breeders. One thing led to another, and her she is!

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 06-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Top Dog

I've dealt with a few mini dachshunds, and most of them have been great little dogs.

If you keep in mind that they aren't going to be as biddable as a border collie or a lab, they're very intelligent and can be extremely trainable...if you figure out how to deal with them. IME they don't work to please you, they work to get something out of it - but they're also really affectionate with their families, so many will work for attention and play.

Prone to some health issues, obesity a main one, plus back issues. My ex's dog had seizures, but I don't know if that's a breed thing. The healthy ones live a long, comfortable life.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
My ex's dog had seizures, but I don't know if that's a breed thing.
It may be, Chloe's had several seizures. I'm convinced that feeding grain-free helped but it may just be a timing thing. (She had seizures when we got her, I started feeding grain-free, she stopped. We ran out of food and started feeding her stuff that wasn't grain-free, she has 2 seizures in 2 days. I started her back on grain-free and she hasn't had one since.)

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

Giselle's seizures were also diet related - I think it was if she had too much fat in her diet, which is a pretty unusual cause of seizures as far as I know.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com