Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-04-2013, 03:27 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
There is NO REASON for a 2 year old to have a service dog. Ever. Period. I said earlier that for older children it can be done right (it can also be done wrong). Once the CHILD is capable of stewarding the dog, it has the potential to work out. But the child should be stewarding the dog, not the other way around.
Thank you for your explanation. I understand now, and I agree with you. And I like the broadness of your statement too, once the child is capable... So it could be a different age for every child

Seems like there has been a little bit of an influx of Paps being used for the one program around here. At first, I didn't understand it at all.... Paps are too small to do a lot of the tasks most service dogs perform. But several of them were trained for seizure-response. One that I actually met as a puppy (who Bailey was afraid of actually ) was doing the seizure response thing awesomely, actually started alerting to the seizures a good 5-10 mins before the seizures. Wow : but that's not the case with all of them
I'm always surprised how many of them don't make it, and have to be placed in pet only homes. Man I would love to have a "drop out" !! Already trained and perfect !

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 05-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
A coworkers daughter just put her dobe through training and he can detect her seizures, bring her pills and water, and all kinds of other stuff. She worked with a program near her in I think north carolina. She is very lucky that he can detect her seizures since thats not really something you can train.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post

Insurance doesn't usually pay for a service dog. .
In Canada, where I'm pretty sure Paige is, many province's health insurance do, indeed, cover the cost of a service dog

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Let it be

Yupp! Good old Canada and our medical resources for the public.

We also have different laws from my undestanding regarding service dogs? You may all correct me if I am wrong on that.

This has been a very interesting read. Thank-you everyone who has written in detail about it.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Sorry, sort of OT, but anxiety support dogs aren't allowed in public? My good friend has a Samoyed that is her anxiety support dog, and she had it trained through some sort of facility (Freedom Service Dogs I think?) and she takes him in public all the time. I was always under the impression that emotional support dogs could be "In-Home" or "Public". Her dog is extremely good for her, she has very extreme anxiety and having him takes the social pressure off of her. Something about him is very, very comforting and soothing to her, she can go anywhere with him where she used to visibly shake going into any job interview, store, anywhere with a large number of people. Now she has an office job, and can even take him to work with her. I find it a little alarming that what he does is not considered "service work"- he has made her life better and has made so she can have a job and a life. Luckily she has never had any issues taking him anywhere around here.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 05-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Sorry, sort of OT, but anxiety support dogs aren't allowed in public?
Yes, service dogs for anxiety ARE allowed in public. IF they're task trained. If she's disabled by anxiety, surely there are tasks a dog can do to help that. Sure, being there DOES help, but tasks are what make a service dog a service dog. If the dog is NOT task trained, then no, it's not a service dog. The only public places ESAs are allowed is airplanes (with a doctor's note), and they're allowed in no-pets housing (again, with a doctor's note).

As an aside, even service dogs - task trained service dogs - for psychiatric disabilities need a doctor's note to fly. This is incredibly unfair, but it's because most fakers claim their dogs are PSDs (under the assumption it's hard to prove they're not). Any other SD does not need a note to fly.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Aware

I'm going to try to make psychiatric service dogs really simple.

Example 1: Person has disabling anxiety. Dog specifically doesn't do anything for the anxiety, but "helps by being there". Legally, this dog is not a service dog.

Example 2: Person has disabling anxiety. Dog is trained to provide deep pressure when anxiety spikes, lead to exits when person is overwhelmed, provides body blocking as needed, all to help mitigate this person's anxiety. Legally, this dog is a service dog.

I hope this clears it up for at least a few people.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Top Dog

Perfect, Julee!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

Also yes, the laws are different in Canada. I *think* they're more strict and not national, but I haven't researched them thoroughly, since I don't live there. But you can look up ones for your province starting here http://servicedogcentral.org/content/Canadian-sd-laws
Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Let it be

From the small reading I have done Canada does have stricter laws.