What are you sick of hearing in regards to your dogs?

Ugh, the only other thing, while we're venting... and this actually kinda... hurts? I guess? Is when people learn that Blossom was supposed to be a foster and they basically act like of course, I just couldn't help myself, I'm that crazy dog girl! I would have just kept any dog that I fostered, because all that goes on in my head is LOLOLOLOLOL DOGZ DOGZ DOGZ DOGZ :mad:

Usually, I shut them up with, "Actually I've fostered before and didn't have any real issues with rehoming the dogs, though I was sad to see them go. This is dog is just very well-suited to me and the things I like doing, so after carefully considering if I should/could keep her, I decided it was a good decision."

Ugh. Shut up, a-holes! LOL. It's not the same tone that dog people use regarding foster failures, it's more like, "oh, of COURSE :rolleyes:" Um, please, I probably put more thought into keeping this one dog than you put into buying/obtaining all the dogs you've had in your entire lifetime.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that, but I am totally in the same boat. When people hear we have 5 dogs (especially living in Mexico with the abundant number of street dogs) I feel like they assume we just randomly collect them off the street without any thought at all. No, a lot of consideration goes into what would be best for the dogs and the family and no one is worse for wear. If my family doesn't mind the extra sacrifice of time, energy and money then why do people need to judge?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
This thread is interesting...

Honestly, I love talking about my dogs with people. I've gotten rude comments here and there, but most people mean well and are just interested in my dogs....and they should be, Sally and Jack are awesome. :D

I'd probably annoy the crap out of most of you. I tell people their dogs are beautiful, cute, and have adorable features like fun ears. I ask them what breed they are and occasionally try to guess. I even ask what mix they are if they are mixed. I do the same with horses, and asked tons of people about their birds at the bird fair. Frankly, I enjoy the exchange from both ends--I'm not a great conversationalist and common ground like animals is a great way to socialize and often learn something in the process.

Maybe it doesn't bother be so much because I worked at a public riding stable for 10 years and got uses to explaining 473718474582 times that ponies are not baby horses, fly masks are not blind folds, horses can live into their 30s, geldings are "fixed" male horses, etc, and it just doesn't faze me.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
"Was he abused/a rescue?"
I can't imagine being annoyed by any of the above comments unless you were obviously in a hurry to go somewhere! Sure, they might not all be true, but most of those are just genuine questions/comments or even in a few cases what seems to be an attempt at a complement! Since when do people get up in arms over a compliment!?
I hate the assumption that my dog is an abused rescue dog just because she is wary of strangers. She is NOT from a rescue, she's from a breeder, I've had her since she was 8 weeks old... so the implication is then that something must have gone horribly wrong in her life in order for her to be shy. And well, since I've had her her whole life, that means that *I* must have done something wrong.

It is annoying as hell.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
#1 and always.

'You have Jrts? OMG they are so hyper.'

Yeah no, my dogs are not hyper, they don't need nor require hours of exercise to calm them down. They are NOT bouncing off the walls, if they were I wouldn't have them because I actually hate that. I just sold one of the pups to a world agility champion..........says he is THE easiest pup she has ever had (her first jrt) and loves his off switch. Loves how he is couch potato until it is time to work/play, then goes back to being a couch potato again.
At the boarding kennel where I work, we have a JRT like that who boards every so often. He is a fairly quiet dog and he'll sleep until we're doing walks, then he's raring to go! His name is Martin, and he seems fairly well bred. His looks really remind me of Dekka's dogs. He's a JRT I would totally love to own if I was a terrier person, wanted a little dog, and didn't want multiple dogs (he doesn't like other dogs much).

I hate the assumption that my dog is an abused rescue dog just because she is wary of strangers. She is NOT from a rescue, she's from a breeder, I've had her since she was 8 weeks old... so the implication is then that something must have gone horribly wrong in her life in order for her to be shy. And well, since I've had her her whole life, that means that *I* must have done something wrong.

It is annoying as hell.
I know what that's like. I got the "was she abused?" question a lot with Daisy. No, she just has a poor temperament, I've had her since she was a 9 week old puppy and she's always been this way. I'm sure had I known then what I know now there were things I could have done to make her less fearful, but I certainly didn't do anything to make her hate people.

Remind me if I meet any of you not to comment or ask about your dogs! :eek:

I didn't read through all the comments, but so many of these just seem like nice people trying to start up a nice quick conversation. I think the only time I've gotten annoyed with a stranger over a dog related "comment" was when a bunch of teenage guys started to "bark" at Boo as I walked her down the street. That was uncalled for. Of course, I'd probably also get annoyed with a stranger "arguing" with me, but as of yet that hasn't happened...

I can't imagine being annoyed by any of the above comments unless you were obviously in a hurry to go somewhere! Sure, they might not all be true, but most of those are just genuine questions/comments or even in a few cases what seems to be an attempt at a complement! Since when do people get up in arms over a compliment!?

The first one was mine, I'll answer for it - I don't mind grooming clients asking, when they ask politely. Its when a friend or family member comes over and looks at the five of my four leggeds and says, with clear disgust, "How do you DEAL with all the hair?" Its annoying, and rude. Just tired of people coming over who clearly don't like my dogs. Newsflash - I probably don't like you.
Also, unlike most of the other commenters, I HAVE started responding to people this way. Were in not IN MY HOME, I wouldn't, I'd behave myself and be polite, but again ^ rude friends and family should know me well enough to know that I won't sit back and take their crap, so if they're shocked by it, they can stuff it.

Sorry if that came out rude in any way. Its been a very long day full of telling people either "Yes, the facebook post had EVERYTHING to do with you, please don't bother to come by again until you can keep your rude comments to yourself!" Or "NO, you've never said a mean word about my dogs, feel free to keep coming over."

Also, am I the only one who wants to answer the security question sarcastically? >.< LOL!

Bubba Love

Wubba Wuv!
sympathy for having a blind dog

"Aww I'm so sorry"

"that's terrible"

and the worst
"poor guy"

he is the happiest dog in the world, he doesn't care that he is blind.

another one is
"I'm going to steal your dog"
even if it is a joke i just want you to realize... that i just pondered killing you

Tell these dang puppies to grow up so that I can tell if I like them enough to breed them then!

Also. The Pip comments made me remember my other huge annoyance. People don't just let it go when you say your dog is a mix. They must know what they are a mix of and will keep staring at you uncomfortably until you answer.
Oh yes this too, people ask what Gage is I say mutt, well he must be a bull mastiff or Great Dane mix ( because those two breeds totally indistinguishable from one another), I say he's English Mastiff and Rottweiler, or so he's a cross breed then is their reply, and I say, that right, he's a mutt.

Diesel, well when I tell people Diesels a poodle yorkie mix, inevitably there is one donkey who has to 'inform' me that he's a purebred yorkiepoo, this person I give a throat punch to in my head.

Bubba Love

Wubba Wuv!
Oh yes this too, people ask what Gage is I say mutt, well he must be a bull mastiff or Great Dane mix ( because those two breeds totally indistinguishable from one another), I say he's English Mastiff and Rottweiler, or so he's a cross breed then is their reply, and I say, that right, he's a mutt.

Diesel, well when I tell people Diesels a poodle yorkie mix, inevitably there is one donkey who has to 'inform' me that he's a purebred yorkiepoo, this person I give a throat punch to in my head.
or a porkie

Grab

It is annoying as hell.
My MIL was like this when she visited a few years ago. Julian is from a poor breeder. This has reflected in his temperament. He's not a fan of any stranger. He barks and spins. He's always been like this. Although he's well behaved and well trained in many other respects, headway has never been made on that point. After almost 12 years we just accept it as him and make adjustments.

She was so sure that his barking and neurotic behaviors meant he was abused. "I really feel that dog has been abused". When informed that, no, he's been in the family since just a wee guy, she did the harumph... I assure you, that dog has never experienced anything more than a harsh word.

I think she still secretly feels he's a beaten dog.

FG167

With Eden I just get comments on her stumpy legs (which are adorable) and the rest is usually super complimentary. UNLESS they are Corgi people. Corgi people have almost all been rude to me, saying how I never feed her and she's sooooo skinny. We used to run together and I got comments on how cruel it was to make her short legs run that far...hi, SHE'S pulling ME and my short legs around!

With Limit I get comments on how striking he is, or what awesome shape. Occasional guesses of Dobe or Rott mix. Nothing else really.

Ah Kastle, we get loads of comments. A lot of the time I get compliments on how pretty and sweet he is. Which is, of course, lovely. That is OFTEN followed by people petting his fluffs and touching their nose to his. Luckily, he likes this, but I always think it's a strange thing to do to an unknown GSD.

The stuff that upsets me...having someone tell me blatantly that I am wrong, there is no such thing as a long coat GSD, he is a Terv. ARGH NO HE IS NOT! Or that he's too pretty to be a boy, he should be a girl...I m never sure what to say to that. I've had someone laugh at me when I said he was a boy and tell me he is way too small (at 60 lbs). That stuff bugs me only because I bought him for a sport in which he WILL be judged on his power and masculinity. My other fave is when we are playing and someone says "he's a lot of dog, you're pretty/small/young/a girl, are you sure you can handle him?". No, I brought him out in public and let him load up off his ball because I was hoping to lose complete control of him. Ergh.

Tazwell

Oh I forgot. Adrian ALWAYS gets the comment, "Is she part albino??" Then I have a hard time explaining the double Merle thing.

Aleron

This is something that I can feel you on. People that feel he need to tell you that they dislike your breed of dog. I have a Pit Bull and an ACD, and it seems like someone ALWAYS hates one or the other and feels the need to tell me about it. I don't care if you dislike my dog's breed, as there are some dog breeds I dislike too, but why do you have to tell ME about it?
Yeah I go that with the GSDs a lot too. It seems a lot of people don't like GSDs, including pet professionals and dog people. "Oh you have a GSD? Those dogs are horrible. I'm sorry, you probably love your dog but I just don't understand why anyone would want one!". Also a lot of implications that all GSDs are sketchy, freaky dogs who can never be trusted. And the "Oh police departments don't use them any more because the breed is so ruined". Ummm actually...our county has a GSD police dog... People still say stuff like that to me about GSDs. I was recently told that "GSDs are the breed most likely to turn on their owners" at an agility trial.

I get that less with the Belgians, mostly I think because a lot of people haven't been around many. But there is the occasional "OMG I knew one once and that dog was so bad! Those dogs aren't trustworthy/are sketchy". Yeah ok...you knew one which surely makes you an expert on the breed. :rolleyes: Of course that often seems to be the case with PyrSheps too. Someone knows one and that dog is bad. Or they know someone on a forum who knows someone who had to get rid of their's because he was such a bad dog. The GSDs, usually people have more experience with them but generally don't understand the breed's character and that they aren't supposed to act like Goldens. And of course, they mostly encounter pet bred dogs with average or below average owners who fail to properly choose, train, socialize and manage their dog.

GoingNowhere

This thread is interesting...

Honestly, I love talking about my dogs with people. I've gotten rude comments here and there, but most people mean well and are just interested in my dogs....and they should be, Sally and Jack are awesome. :D

I'd probably annoy the crap out of most of you. I tell people their dogs are beautiful, cute, and have adorable features like fun ears. I ask them what breed they are and occasionally try to guess. I even ask what mix they are if they are mixed. I do the same with horses, and asked tons of people about their birds at the bird fair. Frankly, I enjoy the exchange from both ends--I'm not a great conversationalist and common ground like animals is a great way to socialize and often learn something in the process.

Maybe it doesn't bother be so much because I worked at a public riding stable for 10 years and got uses to explaining 473718474582 times that ponies are not baby horses, fly masks are not blind folds, horses can live into their 30s, geldings are "fixed" male horses, etc, and it just doesn't faze me.
\:hail:

crazedACD

For Rider:
"I've seen those cattle dogs before. They eat couches and bite people." Or, this one came from a friend... "We rescued one of those cattle dogs before, and it ate our sprinklers and tore up our yard. I wouldn't get one if I were you."
Number one, they are a very intelligent and higher energy breed, so they WILL get bored if not given a job and proper exercise, which will then lead into destructive behavior.
Truth! I feel bad for people with bully breeds, because even with the ACD I get comments like this. My vet even commented when I brought Zoie in, Oh, an ACD mix, sounds like the mix gave you the good temperament! (Or something like that). Ugh. No, I have a purebred ACD at home, he's wonderful. Vet says Oh, I had one before, he was a total jerk. I've gotten plenty of people telling me so and so's ACD was horrible, they bite people, and so forth.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Truth! I feel bad for people with bully breeds, because even with the ACD I get comments like this. My vet even commented when I brought Zoie in, Oh, an ACD mix, sounds like the mix gave you the good temperament! (Or something like that). Ugh. No, I have a purebred ACD at home, he's wonderful. Vet says Oh, I had one before, he was a total jerk. I've gotten plenty of people telling me so and so's ACD was horrible, they bite people, and so forth.
Heh yeah I love the folks who are telling me "I wouldn't get one if I were you" AS I AM HOLDING THE LEASHES OF MY TWO it's like ... Hello??? I have two here LOL ... Silly people.

When I get the whole "I wouldn't get one of those cattle dogs" speeches I always reply with "I guess you don't have what it takes to own one anyway" which shuts most people up.

I was recently told that "GSDs are the breed most likely to turn on their owners" at an agility trial.
Honestly, I don't even know what "turn on their owners" MEANS. Like, they're going to turn informant on me? :p

Whenever someone pulls that gem out (hasn't happened with my current dogs but I did used to have a gsd/rott mix) I just give them a confused, blank stare.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
LOL I love this idea of a dog "turning" on you because it implies that the dog is hiding their true nature and plotting against you. So funny. Pretty sure my "GSD" doesn't have a brain cell left to dedicate to plotting against me, her head space is full between tugging, fetching, eating, cuddling, working, and guarding.

Thankfully I've only ever gotten "mean" or "vicious" comments about GSDs...have I mentioned I don't HAVE a ****ing GSD?! *facepalm*

Oh, I forgot THIS story... had a guy come into my work for dog food, I think, and he saw Keeva and asked what she was. I tell him, and this asshole rolls his eyes at me and says, "you know, when I was your age, we didn't have these fancy breeds with crazy names, we just had Labs, and Shepherds, and Chihuahuas...none of these crazy designer breeds."

I am pretty I looked like I was sucking on a lemon. LMAO. I said, "oh actually corgis pre-date breeds like Labs and German Shepherds by hundreds of years. They've been in the United States and AKC recognized since the 1930's."

He just was like, "yeah well...Pssssshhhhh whatever."

And for the record, he wasn't an old man or I would have just let him ramble...he was like maybe 40 and totally lucid. LOL

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Are they related to German shepherds? The answer is Yes. That is all, yes.

I do grow tired of the presumption that every pit bull is a rescue and was at one point abused.

If I say Arnold isn't friendly people reason with me that there must be a history of evil to make him that way. It is tiring.

Venting, it's what's for breakfast.

Members online

No members online now.