Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-02-2013, 04:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I hate the assumption that my dog is an abused rescue dog just because she is wary of strangers. She is NOT from a rescue, she's from a breeder, I've had her since she was 8 weeks old... so the implication is then that something must have gone horribly wrong in her life in order for her to be shy. And well, since I've had her her whole life, that means that *I* must have done something wrong.

It is annoying as hell.
My MIL was like this when she visited a few years ago. Julian is from a poor breeder. This has reflected in his temperament. He's not a fan of any stranger. He barks and spins. He's always been like this. Although he's well behaved and well trained in many other respects, headway has never been made on that point. After almost 12 years we just accept it as him and make adjustments.

She was so sure that his barking and neurotic behaviors meant he was abused. "I really feel that dog has been abused". When informed that, no, he's been in the family since just a wee guy, she did the harumph... I assure you, that dog has never experienced anything more than a harsh word.

I think she still secretly feels he's a beaten dog.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 AM
Top Dog

With Eden I just get comments on her stumpy legs (which are adorable) and the rest is usually super complimentary. UNLESS they are Corgi people. Corgi people have almost all been rude to me, saying how I never feed her and she's sooooo skinny. We used to run together and I got comments on how cruel it was to make her short legs run that far...hi, SHE'S pulling ME and my short legs around!

With Limit I get comments on how striking he is, or what awesome shape. Occasional guesses of Dobe or Rott mix. Nothing else really.

Ah Kastle, we get loads of comments. A lot of the time I get compliments on how pretty and sweet he is. Which is, of course, lovely. That is OFTEN followed by people petting his fluffs and touching their nose to his. Luckily, he likes this, but I always think it's a strange thing to do to an unknown GSD.

The stuff that upsets me...having someone tell me blatantly that I am wrong, there is no such thing as a long coat GSD, he is a Terv. ARGH NO HE IS NOT! Or that he's too pretty to be a boy, he should be a girl...I m never sure what to say to that. I've had someone laugh at me when I said he was a boy and tell me he is way too small (at 60 lbs). That stuff bugs me only because I bought him for a sport in which he WILL be judged on his power and masculinity. My other fave is when we are playing and someone says "he's a lot of dog, you're pretty/small/young/a girl, are you sure you can handle him?". No, I brought him out in public and let him load up off his ball because I was hoping to lose complete control of him. Ergh.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Top Dog

Oh I forgot. Adrian ALWAYS gets the comment, "Is she part albino??" Then I have a hard time explaining the double Merle thing.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
This is something that I can feel you on. People that feel he need to tell you that they dislike your breed of dog. I have a Pit Bull and an ACD, and it seems like someone ALWAYS hates one or the other and feels the need to tell me about it. I don't care if you dislike my dog's breed, as there are some dog breeds I dislike too, but why do you have to tell ME about it?
Yeah I go that with the GSDs a lot too. It seems a lot of people don't like GSDs, including pet professionals and dog people. "Oh you have a GSD? Those dogs are horrible. I'm sorry, you probably love your dog but I just don't understand why anyone would want one!". Also a lot of implications that all GSDs are sketchy, freaky dogs who can never be trusted. And the "Oh police departments don't use them any more because the breed is so ruined". Ummm actually...our county has a GSD police dog... People still say stuff like that to me about GSDs. I was recently told that "GSDs are the breed most likely to turn on their owners" at an agility trial.

I get that less with the Belgians, mostly I think because a lot of people haven't been around many. But there is the occasional "OMG I knew one once and that dog was so bad! Those dogs aren't trustworthy/are sketchy". Yeah ok...you knew one which surely makes you an expert on the breed. Of course that often seems to be the case with PyrSheps too. Someone knows one and that dog is bad. Or they know someone on a forum who knows someone who had to get rid of their's because he was such a bad dog. The GSDs, usually people have more experience with them but generally don't understand the breed's character and that they aren't supposed to act like Goldens. And of course, they mostly encounter pet bred dogs with average or below average owners who fail to properly choose, train, socialize and manage their dog.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
This thread is interesting...

Honestly, I love talking about my dogs with people. I've gotten rude comments here and there, but most people mean well and are just interested in my dogs....and they should be, Sally and Jack are awesome.

I'd probably annoy the crap out of most of you. I tell people their dogs are beautiful, cute, and have adorable features like fun ears. I ask them what breed they are and occasionally try to guess. I even ask what mix they are if they are mixed. I do the same with horses, and asked tons of people about their birds at the bird fair. Frankly, I enjoy the exchange from both ends--I'm not a great conversationalist and common ground like animals is a great way to socialize and often learn something in the process.

Maybe it doesn't bother be so much because I worked at a public riding stable for 10 years and got uses to explaining 473718474582 times that ponies are not baby horses, fly masks are not blind folds, horses can live into their 30s, geldings are "fixed" male horses, etc, and it just doesn't faze me.
\

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
For Rider:
"I've seen those cattle dogs before. They eat couches and bite people." Or, this one came from a friend... "We rescued one of those cattle dogs before, and it ate our sprinklers and tore up our yard. I wouldn't get one if I were you."
Number one, they are a very intelligent and higher energy breed, so they WILL get bored if not given a job and proper exercise, which will then lead into destructive behavior.
Truth! I feel bad for people with bully breeds, because even with the ACD I get comments like this. My vet even commented when I brought Zoie in, Oh, an ACD mix, sounds like the mix gave you the good temperament! (Or something like that). Ugh. No, I have a purebred ACD at home, he's wonderful. Vet says Oh, I had one before, he was a total jerk. I've gotten plenty of people telling me so and so's ACD was horrible, they bite people, and so forth.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Truth! I feel bad for people with bully breeds, because even with the ACD I get comments like this. My vet even commented when I brought Zoie in, Oh, an ACD mix, sounds like the mix gave you the good temperament! (Or something like that). Ugh. No, I have a purebred ACD at home, he's wonderful. Vet says Oh, I had one before, he was a total jerk. I've gotten plenty of people telling me so and so's ACD was horrible, they bite people, and so forth.
Heh yeah I love the folks who are telling me "I wouldn't get one if I were you" AS I AM HOLDING THE LEASHES OF MY TWO it's like ... Hello??? I have two here LOL ... Silly people.

When I get the whole "I wouldn't get one of those cattle dogs" speeches I always reply with "I guess you don't have what it takes to own one anyway" which shuts most people up.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I was recently told that "GSDs are the breed most likely to turn on their owners" at an agility trial.
Honestly, I don't even know what "turn on their owners" MEANS. Like, they're going to turn informant on me?

Whenever someone pulls that gem out (hasn't happened with my current dogs but I did used to have a gsd/rott mix) I just give them a confused, blank stare.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

LOL I love this idea of a dog "turning" on you because it implies that the dog is hiding their true nature and plotting against you. So funny. Pretty sure my "GSD" doesn't have a brain cell left to dedicate to plotting against me, her head space is full between tugging, fetching, eating, cuddling, working, and guarding.

Thankfully I've only ever gotten "mean" or "vicious" comments about GSDs...have I mentioned I don't HAVE a ****ing GSD?! *facepalm*

Oh, I forgot THIS story... had a guy come into my work for dog food, I think, and he saw Keeva and asked what she was. I tell him, and this asshole rolls his eyes at me and says, "you know, when I was your age, we didn't have these fancy breeds with crazy names, we just had Labs, and Shepherds, and Chihuahuas...none of these crazy designer breeds."

I am pretty I looked like I was sucking on a lemon. LMAO. I said, "oh actually corgis pre-date breeds like Labs and German Shepherds by hundreds of years. They've been in the United States and AKC recognized since the 1930's."

He just was like, "yeah well...Pssssshhhhh whatever."

And for the record, he wasn't an old man or I would have just let him ramble...he was like maybe 40 and totally lucid. LOL

Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Are they related to German shepherds? The answer is Yes. That is all, yes.

I do grow tired of the presumption that every pit bull is a rescue and was at one point abused.

If I say Arnold isn't friendly people reason with me that there must be a history of evil to make him that way. It is tiring.

Venting, it's what's for breakfast.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.