Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 PM
such sights to show you

I have a feeling that an obese stray I found on a deserted highway in a snowstorm would look better 2 years later no matter what I fed it.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Lord Cynical

Ohhhhh lordy. Not this again.

I feed raw. I love raw. Four of my five dogs (and both of my cats) do great on raw. BUT.... not everyone has the time, space, or money to feed raw... and there's nothing wrong with that. Unless you are going to pay for other people to feed raw, then IMO you need to leave them alone.

Some dogs cannot eat raw... like my corgi. I tried, I really really tried, but I ended up with a very sick dog and had to go back to kibble.

Here's an exerpt from a blog post I wrote a few months ago. I think it applies.

Quote:
This is another part of the "raw feeding subculture" that makes me shake my head and sigh. We all have slightly different opinions on how to feed raw - some feed partial raw, some feed pre-made commercial raw, some people feed ground, some people feed prey model, some people supplement with fruits and/or veggie mixes, some people are comfortable giving weight-bearing bones, some people feed fur-on carcasses, some people feed expired meat from the grocery store, some people only feed human-grade meat, some people give vitamin and/or oil supplements.

... and some people are real asses to folks who don't feed raw exactly the way they do, or heaven forbid feed kibble. I apologize in advance if someone throws a hissy fit because you're not doing it the same way they're doing it. They're your dogs - it's your decision. I personally do not feed veggies or weight bearing bones from large animals. Some of what I feed is ground. Some of what I feed is not labeled for human consumption. I occasionally give my dogs raw goats-milk as a treat. There are people who do not like how I feed my dogs, and that's fine.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)

Last edited by SizzleDog; 03-07-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
You know, that's a good point. Murphy was shiny and soft on Purina, he's more shiny and soft on Taste of the Wild, and on raw he's about the same (but minus the death breath). And all three of my dogs on kibble look better than the picture in the OP.
My dogs look better than the OP's dog, too. And both are on kibble. Gavroche is even on a grain-inclusive kibble at the moment

I'd love to feed raw, but I can't because of space issues (and feeding raw by going to the grocery store every other day is way too expensive, and in my opinion doesn't offer enough variety to do it well). Some day, yes, my dogs will be raw fed. Until that day comes, they do well on high-quality kibble.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Lord Cynical

I have to admit, the OP's dog isn't what I'd consider to be the poster child for raw either - could just be that the dog isn't groomed, but... just my personal opinion.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I have to admit, the OP's dog isn't what I'd consider to be the poster child for raw either - could just be that the dog isn't groomed, but... just my personal opinion.
Your dogs, on the other hand... <3
Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Your dogs, on the other hand... <3
... you mean these sexy bitches?

jIMG_9836 by sizzzle_dog, on Flickr

Err wait.... Poison is still on 1/2 kibble. Doh!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Lol @ Adrianne.

My dogs look better than that anyway, though I think that coat needs a thorough brushing more than anything.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

The picture is a crappy quality one so the dog may look better in person.

Who cares if the op posts only about nutrition? Why does he have to participate in all the other threads? Is it some sort of "pre-requisite" of Chaz to be involved in everything here?

If you don't like that the op only posts about nutrition, don't participate in his threads. Creating such stink over nothing.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
The picture is a crappy quality one so the dog may look better in person.

Who cares if the op posts only about nutrition? Why does he have to participate in all the other threads? Is it some sort of "pre-requisite" of Chaz to be involved in everything here?

If you don't like that the op only posts about nutrition, don't participate in his threads. Creating such stink over nothing.
It's not that he only posts about nutrition. It's that he only posts THE EXACT SAME THING over and over and over again.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
It's not that he only posts about nutrition. It's that he only posts THE EXACT SAME THING over and over and over again.
This. It's more of a spamming or trolling than an actual member posting and participating in the community. It's like a sales ad. Over and over and over.