First breeder contact

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
What do you say? I usually typically contact people when I am ready for the dog. Right now I'm looking at 2014. But one breeder I like a lot (my first choice if I go with that breed) says on their website that the waiting list for the 2013 litter is full. They rarely breed so I am wondering if it is too soon to contact them?

I also have a tendency to ramble and want to avoid sending a novel to them. But I also want to make sure they know I'm serious. What do you include in your emails? I'm thinking talking briefly about my current two and then where we train. What I'm interested in in a puppy. Add that I would be glad to answer any questions the breeder has.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Usually I compliment their dogs, something specific I like about them. Then I ask if they ever make it to shows/trials and express interest in meeting some dogs if possible (if they're a breed that is shown).

I'll mention that I'm trying to find the right fit for our family and am investigating a few different breeds to see which is the best fit. Then mention my other two dogs, a few key things about them (like Strider being SS intolerant), traits I am looking for in a dog, and thank them for their time. They usually get right back to me and I learn a lot even if it's not the right fit. They understand I'm not intent on a puppy right now but gathering information.

ETA: It's never too soon to contact. I was in contact with Kaia's breeder for a couple of years before she was born, and we became really good friends and she became my mentor with Strider even though I didn't have a dog from her at the time. Also, people back out after puppies are born. We had a waitlist of 17 people for Kaia's litter, and several backed out because 4 or 5 people wanted boys, and we only had two boys born. So that meant people on the backup waitlist got puppies that time around.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I usually start with just a hello, where you're from, what you are looking for in a dog, something about their breeder program I like..and then ask about future litters and let them know my time frame for future puppy.

I don't have much experience with this because the breeders I looked at mostly had questionnaires, which I prefer lol I hate drafting emails.. I too end up with novels.

Barbara!

What if the breeder you like is all the way across the country? Do you ask to ship or make a trip out there? Or do they make a trip to you? ...idk. Lol.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
All the breeders I'm looking at are across the country at this point. ;) I figure we'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Basically I say why I'm interested in the breed (their drive, intelligence, independence, whatever), what I am interested in doing with puppy (companionship, agility, therapy work...), basic info about my dogs and any training or specific awesomeness they possess, then I mention my timeframe and inquire about any future breeding plans they might have lined up or if they keep a waiting list.

Then I end with "I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have for me. Your dogs are beautiful and you must be proud of their accomplishments!"

But I too prefer questionnaires lol.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I know this is a little older... But I just wanted to comment. I don't think it is ever too early to contact a breeder. Especially if they have a large waiting list, you have a specific time frame, or both.

I guess I'm opposite. I like emails more than questionnaires. But then again, in email I feel you can better explain what you are looking for.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I like to get some evidence of competent, conscious breeding decisions in flock management, but it can be very hard to pin people down, especially if they have some beautiful photos on their webpage. It is easy for someone to buy some rare or fancy birds, knowing little or nothing about them, and start selling hatching eggs when they dont really know what theyve got. A professional website can lend a dilettante the aura of competence, and glib but elusive chat can imply much more experience than the person really has. So I try to ask specific questions -- how long the breeder has been raising the breed Im interested in, where and when he got his first birds, what he does each year in selecting his new birds... A lot of people will not answer such questions straightforwardly, and thats usually a discouraging sign.

Since my own project involves restoration of an endangered breed, I dont very much care about a lot of details other than whether the flock may contribute some extra genes to the genepool I am trying to refill. So thats less confronting. However, I really like to know how big the birds are -- it is amazing to me how many people raise production breeds and dont weigh them -- so I have made it a policy now, for myself, to not buy from people who wont weigh their birds.

My best advice to you is to figure out what you are really hoping the new birds will contribute to what youve got. What would really disappoint you about them if you found it out 6 months after receiving the chicks? And then you will know what you need to ask.
:rofl1: Okay this spam made my day. It is EASY for someone to buy rare birds and know nothing about them and sell them as PUPPIES, guys, so watch out!!!

Members online

No members online now.