Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Nope, nor would it bother me if somebody did.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

Honestly, so far I haven't gotten any outright "ugly" comments on my dogs, but I have gotten a couple that bothered me greatly. One of my neighbors had come over for some free overstock eggs, and as she was getting out of her truck looked over at Enda who I had out and was holding by the collar and she yelled out something along the lines "Is HE good?" I then tried to quickly explain that yes "SHE" is good, but does jump, then she scramble for some explanation that honestly didn't need to be made and kept stating "Well I saw the ears" "you know, the ears" "those ears" "ears"...

The other was while I was at a show with her last year, indoors so I took her out to potty between showing and groups. As I was trying to coax her to pee, I could hear a child yelling something and looked up to see a full family walking towards the building and a little girl with them just kept yelling "THAT'S A BAD DOG! Mom! Look, look at that BAD DOG! Over there, see it, BAD DOG!" as she pointed at and stared down Enda, really upset me, I still shake to this day trying to fathom why, the closest I can come up with, her uncle plays "the bad dude" (as my mother puts it) in Marmaduke, however IMO she looks nothing like him .
Old 11-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Top Dog

Luckily I have only heard nice comments when it comes to Trent's appearance (or "woah! Big dog!" comments), but I think that can be also attributed to the breed popularity and how he simply resembles the generic dog. Plus, the people we run across are those just around the neighborhood, at a pet supply store, at a park, etc. I'm sure if I walked into a German Shepherd specialty or even an all breed show, I'd be bound to hear a lot of insulting jabs. I think a lot of it has to do with what people are used to seeing and consider the norm. For the record, I think Joey is stunning and sighthounds are usually my favorites aesthetically.

It would absolutely upset me if someone (especially a family member) called Trent ugly. Only I'm allowed to do that, and I insult my own dog enough for the whole world
Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 PM
such sights to show you

I've never gotten "ugly" comments, but I do get a lot of "what IS that?!" kind of questions, especially with Pip. I don't mind if people ask, but it's amazing how important it is for people to have resolution to that question and how pushy they can get about it - which DOES annoy me.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Cloudcandy

Coco gets the whole "rat" thing or "what is that?", I find it really insulting.
I would neverrrrrr say anything mean about someones dog in earshot of them, so rude!

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

I have gotten more of "why would you own *that* type of dog" comments ... Not so much that they are ugly, I have often rude ugly COMMENTS about having rescue dogs "hey are interior or "broken") also have gotten comments for having breeder dogs (tho I have only had two) (how dare you buy a dog while so many ate killed each year!) etc ...

Some ppl are jerks , I don't let it get to me I love my dogs ... No matter how or where hey came from. I also find it shocking what "general society" finds ugly I don't find any dog ugly ... Not even the ones who compete in the "ugly dog" contests LMBO

Old 11-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Nope, nor would it bother me if somebody did.
This^

Except for one person....my daughter the first day I brought Chulita to her place. She didn't know I was getting a Chihuahua and there I was at her door. She said, "OMG! What did you get that ugly thing for?" She regretted it later and said how sorry she was and that she was just so shocked. I had never had a toy breed before. It wasn't long though until she fell in love with little Chuli, which made her look prettier in her eyes as well. She adores this little dog and Chuli is obsessed with Emily. But it kind of hurt for a moment when she first said that since I was there to show her my new dog. But I quickly recovered. LOL.

Now...if someone were to say something as rude as your sisters or some of the other comments I've read here, I think I wouldn't give them the time of day.

I loved some of your ideas for come backs. Hahahahaha....How about this one: rude person: "your dog is so ugly." you: "Could be, but she has good self control. And she never thinks, much less says a rude thing to anyone." And walk away.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I have gotten more of "why would you own *that* type of dog" comments ... Not so much that they are ugly, I have often rude ugly COMMENTS about having rescue dogs "hey are interior or "broken") also have gotten comments for having breeder dogs (tho I have only had two) (how dare you buy a dog while so many ate killed each year!) etc ...

Some ppl are jerks , I don't let it get to me I love my dogs ... No matter how or where hey came from. I also find it shocking what "general society" finds ugly I don't find any dog ugly ... Not even the ones who compete in the "ugly dog" contests LMBO

Same here. I know one thing though. I am so very satisfied with my dogs, their behavior, their temperaments, personalities, even their looks. They are my constant companions, never judging, always cheerful, always there. They mean so very much to me that nothing anyone else could possibly say will alter that...not one iota. And "that" is all that matters, not the opinion or the remarks made by some ignorant human who isn't to me what my dogs are to me.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Big Dog

I've not gotten any ugly comments but I have had my dobe called vicious and I"ve gotten some pretty ugly comments about his ears. I just blow it off and cannot recall an instance in which it's ever bothered me. I love my dog and I know he's awesome, if somebody doesn't want to get to know him than that's their loss.

I can completely understand how hurtful it could be though to hear words like that, especially from family. I"m sorry, OP, that you had to deal with that.

Dreizehn & Ruthless
Old 11-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I think the biggest reason it bothered me is because it's coming from family. I don't know.... maybe I wouldn't let it bother me so much if it was coming from someone else, but family.... well... different story... especially when they know how much I love my dogs. If they don't think Joey is a good looking dog then that's totally fine. I understand that people have different tastes in dogs. But... I will stand by that it was absolutely rude of them to voice it especially when they KNOW me well enough to know that I would be hurt by it.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle