Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 AM
Top Dog

I named King as he from the moment we met him, he just recognizes that no dog is his equal, an attitude he still has at almost 14. He's getting pretty wobbly the last couple of months, but his appetite is still great and he seems to be enjoying his last days. Molly was a name my mother, who lived with me then, picked out beforehand, as we knew we would be getting a male and a female dog. She's even frailer than King is at this point. I know time is getting short. I get upset just thinking about it.

My last dog Gus, well, the name just seemed to fit him. He was almost named "Popeye", for the overly thick forelegs he had, and because his eyes would bulge in and out when he would chew on stuff. We decided on Gus, short and to the point.

Blackie, one of my dogs before Gus was named by a friend of mine, who owned her mother, a black Lab, and I owned her sire, Farfel, my Beagle. My other dog was named Joe, short for his papers name, Lemon Joe. I didn't like the Lemon, so I dropped it, it fit too well, as he had health issues his entire life. Only dog I ever really paid any real money for, ironic he should be the biggest dud I ever had, health wise.

Blackie's daddy was Farfel, a kind of jewish noodle. A name that totally didn't fit as he was anything but soft. Almost as self confident as King is, except much more tolerant of puppy nips. He would do, and did, about anything to defend one of his friends, regardless of the size of the dog threatening them or him. The biggest Beagle I have ever seen at almost 40 rock hard pounds, he started out the runt of runts, about half the size of his sister when I picked him out at 3 months of age. There was something about him, even then he thought he was a tough guy, that wouldn't come for about a year, after he lost a battle in the backyard with the biggest German Shepherd I have ever seen. Odd thing was, after she tore him up pretty good, they became good friends. One day, there she was lying down in the back yard with him.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Active Pup

Chase got her name partly because I like boy names for girls, and partly because she likes to chase.
Mostly I just liked the name, and I considered anything an improvement on the name she had when we adopted her. Tala. Before that she was Spirit.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:17 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

After our first visit at Gipsy's breeder a song came on the radio, from the Gipsy Kings. For some reason the name Gipsy seemed to suite this little brown ball of fur that we had fallen in love with from the first second. she choose us and it seemed the perfect name for her.
Once we brought her home, she grew and grew and soon started walking us through the neighbourhood and not us her. So her full registered name became "Gipsy Queen of Highwoods". Highwoods was our neighbourhood - and I always thought it sounded pretty grad. I mean - we have a royal in our family.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Animal Lover

We were looking for a large dog to adopt. Was talking to a shelter manager and she started singing the praises of a 11 month old dog named "Dunbar". It was meant to be... "Dunbar" is a family surname in our son-in-law's family and is his and our grandson's middle name. The shelter didn't know why they named the little pup "Dunbar "when he was found by the side of the road, but we drove 2 hours to adopt our boy,Dunbar. Just to add to the story, Dunbar was adopted when he was a puppy, but was returned to the shelter at 7 months old because he "got too big". He's not too big for us...He's just perfect.

Visit Us at Dog and Cat World
Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I think I've responsed to this thread before but don't feel like sifting through all the pages to see. Figure I'll post again since I have another dog now.

Bamm Bamm was named before I got him. His original name was Gideon, but his foster changed it to Bamm Bamm because she had a dog named Pebbles and it just suited him. He was a bit of a troublemaker when he was younger. His name is still Bamm Bamm but I just call him Bamm.

Cricket- Cricket was originally named by RD as Poppy. A lot of you that were here around that time probably remember that little brindle monkey that she originally posted on the forum that I instantly fell in love with. I had been in contact with a Papillon breeder because we were wanting a smaller dog at the time, but when I saw her something inside me lit up and I couldn't stop thinking about her. I named her Cricket because anytime Grace gave me updates on her it usually included her jumping or climbing over something. Her favorite trick in the world actually is jump and she will leap straight up into the air.

Joey- he looks like a kangaroo and is so bouncy. Caliterp actually suggested he looks like a Joey when he stayed with her for a few days and the name idea just stuck. If you get to know him and his derpy personality he definitely is a Joey.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 11-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Big Dog

I named Lucy because her mother was Lulu. When I got her sister I could not find a name starting with "L" that I liked so I named her Noelle (No L)
Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Active Pup

The neighbors over the road had a accidental litter as there husky came into heat really early.... anyway 2weeks later they got told they had to move and the dogs had no where to go and would of had to go to the pound.... I spoke to my hubby said that the pups where only 2 weeks old and I didn't want them to have to go to the pound so we talked to the neighbors and deiced to take mum dad and the pups in just until they could find a new place and the pups where old enough to leave mum.... we too care of the pups and feel in love with the lightest one of the litter... who we nick-named GT as in GT Falcon as she has a GT stripe running the length of her back just like the car

The best news came when the neighbors said we where able to keep the pick of the litter due for free due to the fact we took care of them
Old 12-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

When we decided we were definitely ready to get a puppy we spent most of the drive from Ohio to NY tossing names out. I am terrible at naming things, it took me like 3 months to name poor Nova. Anyway, I was talking to my mom on the phone and she suggested going with a NY name and she tossed a few things out, but I didn't really like them. Then one day on my way to work the name Hudson popped into my head. We live near the Hudson River and in the Hudson Valley, but we hope to move back to Ohio in the next 5-10 years, so he'll always be our NY dog.

His registered name is KENNEL NAME's Angels in Gotham which is a nod to the last Doctor Who episode with Amy & Rory, Angel's take Manhattan.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 01-02-2013, 12:49 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Neccy Becky came with the name Neckbone, which I refused to call her, since Nessie, she isgnored, then Neccy she became. She is far to lovely of a girl to be called Neckbone.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 AM
Active Pup

Hello Everybody,
Currently i have no dog. he has died. And his name was Tommy. I don't know why we gave him this name but. I like this name a lot. In future if i will take any dog. I will gill this name to him again.

dog-runs.ie