Interesting article about pekes

Mach1girl

I didnt say this was the truth...did I? I said this is what I have read IN more places then one. More times then once. Have you actually done research other then one article on the breed? Because there are so many myths and ideas about this breed, you would be surprised. I'd say no, because if so, you would have seen that mentioned befroe.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
If you've passed high school biology you would immediately discredit ANY source that suggests that.

A giraffe does not have a long neck because it stretched it trying to reach leaves.

Mach1girl

And now that I am trying to find this info I cannot. I havent looked anything up about a Peke in 18 years. Like I said, I dont know if it is true or not, and I really do not care.... It is just something that I read that has always stuck with me for some odd reason.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I didnt say this was the truth...did I? I said this is what I have read IN more places then one. More times then once. Have you actually done research other then one article on the breed? Because there are so many myths and ideas about this breed, you would be surprised. I'd say no, because if so, you would have seen that mentioned befroe.
Well, you presented it as though it were fact. I mean, that's what I take when people say "I found out" rather than something like "some people believe".

I did ALOT of research, and found ut that the flat muzzles were actually from the chinese, they would smack the muzzels "flat"to make them like that...and pics from hundreds of years ago, show them like that as well.

Aleron

The chinese wanted to make the dog resemble the lion, and would smack their muzzles "flat" Years and years of this leads to the flatness of the muzzle. I am not 100% that this is truth, however I have seen it mentioned on many occasions.

Another "myth" is that somehow they were bred with a monkey, which explains the bowed legs. But that is actually found in a book of myths. The muzzle part, I have seen elsewhere & cannot actually find that in myths.

If you think about it, I suppose actually smacking their muzzle over all those years can indeed change the way they look. I mean, didn't the American Bulldog actually have similar when all the years of docking their tail, many are born without tails now adays?? Kinda the same, but not lol..
o_O

There are many, many myths about the originals of certain breeds. Some are sort of like fairy tale stories. Like Corgis were the dogs fairys rode. Some are likely due to people not knowing or understanding the originals of the breed or why they might look the way they do. And often these people were not educated and had no concept of genetics or inheritance. At a time, some believed that PyrSheps were descendants of bears and foxes. There is documentation saying people believed this and maybe you could find some who still do. Or maybe it's more like Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories. How the Leopard Got His Spots. How the Camel Got His Hump. How the Peke Lost His Nose.

Really though, sometimes when reading things you have to consider why people of the time may have thought or believed that. And that maybe sometimes it's just more fun to have a fairy tale. Pekes are not really any different from other Brachy breeds in terms of why their head shape is what it is.

It doesn't matter if I've done absolutely no research on the breed whatsoever. What you described is not possible regardless of the breed.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
What, you didn't know that dogs became merle because people used to splash them with bleach until part of their fur washed out? Over time they were just born that way. It's also why double merle is lethal...too much bleach in the dog's DNA and it gets in their eyes and blinds them.

/nods
:hail:

crazedACD

The chinese wanted to make the dog resemble the lion, and would smack their muzzles "flat" Years and years of this leads to the flatness of the muzzle. I am not 100% that this is truth, however I have seen it mentioned on many occasions.

Another "myth" is that somehow they were bred with a monkey, which explains the bowed legs. But that is actually found in a book of myths. The muzzle part, I have seen elsewhere & cannot actually find that in myths.

If you think about it, I suppose actually smacking their muzzle over all those years can indeed change the way they look. I mean, didn't the American Bulldog actually have similar when all the years of docking their tail, many are born without tails now adays?? Kinda the same, but not lol..
Lamarckism has generally been disproved. Years and years of selecting dogs with the shortest muzzles would lead to a really flat muzzle. Acquired characteristics aren't passed on.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I'm kind of jealous that Rory isn't from a bleached line, like Steve :(

Chihuahuas are so small because the Aztec's would squish their larger dogs. Eventually they just started becoming smaller naturally.

Hounds have floppy ears because the breed creators would hire children to pull and stretch the ears on dogs with pricked ears. Eventually they just started flopping naturally.

True stories :p

Tahla9999

LOL, don't worry, I read the same thing a long time ago which confused me greatly.:p

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
Stop backpedaling. You presented it as FACT and made yourself look completely batty. Own up to it, have the grace to look sheepish, and lets move on. :rolleyes:

Oko

Silence, peasants.
What, you didn't know that dogs became merle because people used to splash them with bleach until part of their fur washed out? Over time they were just born that way. It's also why double merle is lethal...too much bleach in the dog's DNA and it gets in their eyes and blinds them.

/nods
Yes, which is why if my border collie is merle I will name her 'Bleach' for her heritage, and for the ones that were over-bleached and died for her coloring. And here I thought this was common knowledge.

Mach1girl

Stop backpedaling. You presented it as FACT and made yourself look completely batty. Own up to it, have the grace to look sheepish, and lets move on. :rolleyes:

O please now! Let's get all bully-ish and show your a$$ over a statement that clearly has turned out to be a myth, however has been circulating for so long that consideration could possibly been given. Why the need to be all mean? O, internet balls!:rolleyes:

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I actually read it as "this is something I've read, not sure if its true".

Members online

No members online now.