spot to be nasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you're right about multiple dogs being different, although I somehow doubt that 20 Manchesters eat much more than two Fila and a GSD :D as I've got well in excess of 300 pounds of dogs to feed, lol!

There are times that I may be eating ice, but the dogs have good food, after all, they look to me to provide for them and I won't fail them if it takes my last breath.

yuckaduck said:
I have to agree with Manchester again on the use of crates. I love my crate even if Yukon doesn't. It is my saving grace and if it were legal I think I would lock the kids up too. lol
You've got one of those last resort situations with poor Yukon . . . but you'll get through it and he'll be fine and one day the crate will end up gathering dust or holding toys, lol!

Adrienne

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the cancer running rampant and the food you feed may be connected? Pedigree is junk food as well, a child can be raised on McDonald's their whole life and be sustained but they will not thrive and will be more likely to develop problems like cardiomyopathy, liver disease, ESRD, etc.

To post a picture on a thread copy the URL address and then click on the button on your toolbar, the yellow one with the moutain and sun in the background, paste your link there and press enter. Should work fine.

Edit to add that I am a mulitple dog household with three mouths to feed currently, a GSD pup, an APBT, and a Caucasian Ovcharka. At the most I have had about 12 dogs in my house at one time. How many dogs you own should not bear weight on what quality of food you feed. You should only own an amount of dogs that you can appropriatley feed good, quality food in my opinion.

Debi said:
I just had to giggle cause he leaves his air conditioned house, into his air conditioned car, to get to the air conditioned office. Now...THAT really IS funny!!!!!!!!!! I had to ask 'how do you even know it's hot???'...guess he hears it on the news.
Yep thats me!!!!House to car to store, back to house....Hot i didn't know it was hot:D

And the Dogs, Out to do their business and knocking on the door 2 min. Later....Let me in, let me in. Their not dumb, they know where the cool is..Take after me!!:)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
only i have to hold my breath inbetween..with our heat is mold..i am poisoned by the very atmosphere..so i really try to park close!

M

Manchesters

Genetics

Adrienne said:
Did you ever stop to think that maybe the cancer running rampant and the food you feed may be connected? Pedigree is junk food as well, a child can be raised on McDonald's their whole life and be sustained but they will not thrive and will be more likely to develop problems like cardiomyopathy, liver disease, ESRD, etc.

To post a picture on a thread copy the URL address and then click on the button on your toolbar, the yellow one with the moutain and sun in the background, paste your link there and press enter. Should work fine.

Edit to add that I am a mulitple dog household with three mouths to feed currently, a GSD pup, an APBT, and a Caucasian Ovcharka. At the most I have had about 12 dogs in my house at one time. How many dogs you own should not bear weight on what quality of food you feed. You should only own an amount of dogs that you can appropriatley feed good, quality food in my opinion.
Well now, there is not enough space to go into the genetics of the inheritability of the various types of cancers. And since I did not feed my dogs great grandparents, all of whom died of cancer of one form or another, I most certainly cannot make the suggested connection.

As I said, I have fed hundreds of dogs of all ages and condition for at least 20 years on Pedigree. Scores of dog people I know have also used it. You call it crap. How many litters have your bred from parents fed Pedigree? How many litters have you raised on Pedigree brand food????????? Check out my website, and see for yourself the condition of my dogs. Those pictures show what kind of food Pedigree is. And considering what they say the food we HUMANS eat does to us, what chance do our dogs have of getting 100% pure food?

Speaking of food, the pair of crows is back. I put dry dog food on the roof of my carport for the larger birds and squirrels, and a couple of crows discovered it the other day. Those things are HUGE! I will have to start buying an extra bag of food a month just for the crows, rofl.

Anyway, the debate about what to feed dogs has been going on for hundreds of years. All I go by is what a particular food does for my dogs. Are they in good weight.......are they energetic.......do their coats and eyes shine........do they have good poop........what amount of poop do they produce.........and of course back when I was breeding there were the conditions involved in breed that were also of consideration. So.......different foods for different folks and their dogs, I guess. Just because a food is expensive and can't be bought at a grocery store does not mean it is a top quality food. Over the years I have seen many supposedly GREAT foods come along that eventually actually did harm to the dogs. Killed their kidneys, lactating dams that had no milk, etc, etc, etc. I stick with what works for my dogs! Has nothing to do with what I think of the food.......only has to do with what the food does for my dogs!

Fran27

Oh come on guys, open up about crates. Seriously when I read lots of posts here, I feel like I am an evil person for crating my dog in a crate 10 times his size when I can't watch him.

It's not always easy to have a puppy proof room. I don't have one. I could use the bathroom but it's so tiny that the space the dog could have would be maybe twice the size of the crate... Plus with the door closed, it's worse for dogs, at least in a crate they can look around. So, I make do with the best I have, which is a room where all the electrical cables are hidden under wood panels, but there are still shelves and chairs they can chew, and if I left a puppy here too long he would probably be able to go under the wood panels to play with the computer cables. So, I'm sorry but in my case it's much safer to leave a pup in the crate, until I am 100% sure that he won't go after the furniture and the wood panels.

When Boris was little, here is a list of what Boris managed to do when he wasn't crated - climb on the desk, steal random objects from the desk (tissues, computer mouse), eating my computer headphone, chewing the shelves, move the wood panels covering the cables, pull on the curtains... And that's in my best puppy proof house (I did remove the curtains eventually though), and I was with him. The kitchen is full of spaces Tips could fit in to go behind the stove, fridge etc (I hate the kitchen, but can't afford to change it at the moment). The living room and the bedroom both have cables that we can't hide as well. So it's not like we have a choice.

Also, I'm totally against encouraging a pup to see in the house, which is what I would do if I let the pups in the room at night, until they are housebroken. I fail to see the point of preventing the pup from peeing on the floor all day to let him free to do it at night. With all the people against crates, I have yet to find any argument for that, and training a dog to pee on newspapers or pads is unacceptable to me - in the crate, I know they won't pee.

In a perfect world we would all have wonderful houses with rooms easy to puppy proof. But it's not a perfect world, and some people just don't have the choice but to use a crate, for the safety of the pup. I really don't care about the furniture that much, but I don't want my pups to swallow matress fillings, or chew on cables. Once the dogs are old enough that I know they won't do such things, I will stop putting them in the crate. Until then, it's just the safest place I have for them.

So I'm sorry that for some of you, just because I have a not-so-great house, I am not good owner for my dogs.

Manchesters said:
Speaking of food, the pair of crows is back. I put dry dog food on the roof of my carport for the larger birds and squirrels, and a couple of crows discovered it the other day. Those things are HUGE! I will have to start buying an extra bag of food a month just for the crows, rofl.
Ugh I got crows, starlings, and pigeons coming to my backyard cuz I made the mistake of feeding my dogs outside a couple times. They wont leave.

Debi

I have my doubts that very many people are feeding their dogs organic human food. So, my point was that the junk in the supermarket (which obviously most people are eating cause it sure is crowded in there) is 'human' grade, and I don't believe it's a whole lot better than some dog foods. I also have my doubts as to true organic human food being much more than good marketing....throw an organic label on = ask more money = just profits at the expense of people once again. I still do believe in adding meat to the dog's diet (if I have to eat what's out there...guess they do to) along with a kibble you are comfortable with. Don't believe all the 'laws' regarding what is labelled organic. The FDA is less than efficient, and some of the organic food products aren't even given their haphazard quality checks. I think most people agree that they want to feed their pets the best they can....like we try to feed ourselves the best we can...given what we have to choose from. Sadly, both human and pet food leave alot to be desired........but ya gotta eat, right.

I dont think they are saying you shouldnt crate, just some dont want to crate their dogs. I have never used a crate and my puppies have never peed in our bedroom. I dont use newspapers or pads to pottytrain either. I just keep a close eye on them at all times and take them out often and they learn quickly where to go out.

Debi

I think Bimmer has the right idea to have the occasional groundhog delight for dinner..it's probably as 'natural' and healthy as you can get. LOL

Well here is my opinion on crates....

When we adopted Colby, she was two and a half months old. We bought a large wire crate for her and trained her to be used to it. Last September, we bought another crate, as Tippy had just been fixed, May always sleeps in the wire crate, and they always "fought" over the wire one. We bought a large plastic one this time with a wire door, different lock design than the wire.

I cannot tell you how much my girls love those crates. May is very much a "den dog". She loves finding little spaces to sleep. Other than the crate, she appreciates corners to curl up and nap in. Colby is more of a stretcher, she likes to lay on her side, pressing her paws on the couch, but she sleeps in a crate at night and likes to use the crates if she wants to "get away from it all". May also sleeps in a crate at night. Whichever one they go into, they sleep in.

Here is what we have in the crate to make sure they are perfectly comfortable:
Bedding (pillow-type bed with cover, or if those are dirty, beach towel and large old sheet made into a nice fluffy bed)
Water (the plastic crate has a cup that attaches to the door, the wire crate we put a food bowl in the front and fill it)
Toy (I'll leave a kong or a chew bone)

Tippy and May have a habit of annoying each other at times, and we don't want them to do that while we're gone. Therefore one of them has to be crated or locked in a room. We usually prefer a room, so they can wander around, but Mayberry does not like to be seperated from Colby, so if she were to be locked in a room, she'd have to have Colby with her.

If properly used and if the dog is trained well to enjoy the cage, it can be a great training tool and a nice place for the dog to nap. They are also a safe way to transport dogs to say, the vet. Believe me it is not easy to try and keep one dog from jumping over the backseat, hold onto the leash of dog that is sitting on the seat next to you AND keep a third dog on the floor :). It is much easier for us to take out the backseat, but in the two crates, have two dogs ride in the cages, and the other sit up by me.

For dogs with Seperation Anxiety, crates are not recommended for good reasons.

Fran27

becca_4321 said:
I dont think they are saying you shouldnt crate, just some dont want to crate their dogs. I have never used a crate and my puppies have never peed in our bedroom. I dont use newspapers or pads to pottytrain either. I just keep a close eye on them at all times and take them out often and they learn quickly where to go out.
Same. But I can't afford to get up every hour at night, and Tips can't hold more than two hours if he's free to run and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.