keeping dog food fresh..????

luvmydogs

when i buy a 40 lbs bag of food i usually leave it in the bag and roll the bag back up. should i put it in a large storage container? will the food lose its nutrients if i leave it in the bag, or in a big container???? :confused:

I usually leave my dogs' food in the garage, because our garage is REALLY cool.
But it doesnt take that long for my dogs to finish bags of food, because I have 3 dogs.
But i dont think you need to put it in a fridge..

M

Manchesters

How Long.........

Does that 40 lbs of food last you? The best bet is to keep it in the bag, and put the bag into a trash can to keep it safe from vermin. It should be safe for at least a month. You will know if it goes rancid--the smell is quite distinctive.

Saje

Island dweller
We go through at least one bag every two weeks but I keep it in a large rubber bin. keeps the cats out of it. If it lasts you a long time you might want to do that same but if you go through 40lbs like I do I wouldn't worry. Just make sure the rodents can't get in it. :)

RD

Are you dead yet?
I buy the biggest possible bag of food and freeze half of it. My boys take two months to go through a 30lb bag of Innova EVO, but I don't buy the smaller bags because they're horribly expensive. (I'd be spending $100 more per year on food, if I bought the smaller bags.)

I just put half of the food into the dog-food container we have, and freeze the rest of it.

avenlee

I use one of those big rubbermaid containers that you flip the top open and then you can clip it down. I love it. I have one for the dogs and one for the cat and a smaller one for the bird.

Well, we used to use a big huge bin and just dump the food in there, it worked really well, now we use a smaller bin.

I use a 14 gallon rubber maid container for 40lbs of food. Both dogs eat the same food, my dog will not eat Baileys food, it is kept open in the bag. Bailey trys to sneak past Blue to get at his food because its fresher. Blue dosent mind unless he is eating, its a little hard for both dogs to fit in the kennel.

M

Manchesters

Food Containers

I have a feed bin for the girls that stay in the living room with me. The boys have their crates in the back bedroom, with food bowls and water pails in each crate. I get the food in 20 pound bags, and one bag pretty much fills all the guys bowls, which lasts them for several days.

The feed bin can hold up to 25 pounds, and the girls empty it about every 4 days. The idea is that the food needs to be surrounded by air so that it does not go rancid. Even the bags it comes in are not air tight. A fellow from Purina gave a talk to our Dobe club, and he was the one who recommended keeping the bags of food inside a trash can. That way the food would be safe from rodents and bugs, but would still have the needed circulation of air.

luvmydogs

Manchesters said:
Does that 40 lbs of food last you? The best bet is to keep it in the bag, and put the bag into a trash can to keep it safe from vermin. It should be safe for at least a month. You will know if it goes rancid--the smell is quite distinctive.
well it doesnt last too long. but i was wondering, because its pretty hot inside my house, even with the AC on. but i stored it in a dark closet in a rubbermaid container. thanks guys

Mordy

Quigleyfied
generally, the more you can restrict exposure to oxygen, the better.

if you open and close a container once or several times a day you aren't going to be much better off than leaving it in the bag.

if you really want to make a difference with storage, you'd take one smaller and one larger container. store a week's worth of food in the smaller one. this is your container that you'll be accessing on a daily basis. the rest of the food goes into the bigger container, which you only open once a week to refill your smaller one.

i wouldn't recommend storing more than about 2 month's worth of food outside of an unopened bag - so in other words, if it would take you 6 months to use up a 40-lb bag of kibble, buy a 20-lb bag instead. savings aren't that significant. :)

Members online

No members online now.