New here

rn1012

Hi, my name is Randi. I have a Pit/Boxer mix named Jake, he's almost two years old now. I just adopted another mix (we think he is part Rottie), named Toby, on Saturday. We think he's about a year old.

I have a problem though. Toby keeps jumping our 6ft block fence. Any ideas on who I can keep him in my yard? I had to leave him home in his kennel today and he really hates his kennel. We're still working on training him and I'm going to take him to a dog trainor in a couple weeks.

Thanks

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Hey, my pit jumps my 6ft privacy fence too. I think I am going to have to put a hot wire around the top. Hopefully that will keep her down...

rn1012

We tried the hot wire and he still jumps the wall. The hot wire will only work if the dog is still touching the ground. He cleared the wire with no problem. We have resorted to only taking him outside on a leash, but that is going to get old real fast. Any other ideas?

You may have to try the underground fence with the collar. If you do, run it far enough inside the perimeter of your existing fence that Toby/Houdini gets zapped before he's in the act of jumping.

There are some dogs that just won't stay inside a fence no matter what, and your best bet in that case is erecting a run with a top on it that you can put him in when you need a break.

JRT_Rattie_Mom

Terrier Lover!
Welcome Randi!

Wishing you the best with your new "escape artist" but I don't have any fence jumping experience to share. My own escape artist weighed just 4.5 pounds when we had this problem, and fit between some of our fence boards. Chicken wire "all around" the entire fence solved our problem... but was about ready to try the "invisible fence" if needed, as I would rather give a little shock as needed... rather than see her plastered to the pavement by a car! :(

Members online