Beagle Training

t0ca

I Recently Got A 10 Month Old Beagle From The Humane Society. A Great Dog Minus All The Problems He Is Giving Me. I Wonder If Anyone Is Familier With These Problems I Have:

Biting/Agressive,
Chewing On Objects,
Eating Garbage Off The Street/Park,
No Bowel Movement When Humans Are Present,
Sleeping On My Bed,

Im Just Wondering If Anyone Had This Problem. I Would Like To Train Him To A Certain Extent, If I Can Eliminate The First Three Then The Other Two Are Not A Big Problem.

If Anyone Has Some Tips Or Advice

It sounds like you've taken in a dog who wasn't treated well in the past. The biting, bowel movement holding and aggressive behavior, especially in a Beagle, sounds typical of a dog who's nervous and fearful. Lots of reassurance, kindness, reinforcement of good behavior and gentle, but firm, correction of unacceptable behavior will most likely take care of these problems with time and patience. Do keep him supplied with plenty of squeaky and chew toys to satisfy the chewing urge, though. Puzzle balls are great helps, too. They really keep them busy and interested, trying to figure out how to get those treats out. A Kong toy filled with peanut butter is also great.

The only thing that would really worry me about the shy bowel movement problem is that he might become constipated. Praise him lavishly when he goes. My guess is that someone has abused him for going in the yard or has been extremely harsh during house training.

Dogs are scavengers by nature, so the love of garbage may or may not be the result of not being fed enough or mistreatment by his previous owner. A spray bottle to squirt him with, along with a firm "No!" whenever you catch him in garbage might help. Another dog owner here is using a squirt bottle to correct a dominance behavior problem and is getting good results. As he gets more secure in his new home with you, it will become easier to correct his behavior. When you take him out, try to get him involved in a game of some sort to get him used to the idea that there is more to the outdoors than garbage.

As for sleeping on your bed, well, it sounds like he's becoming attached to you and his new home very firmly. Has he got a bed of his own? You might try putting an old T-shirt or two that has your smell on it in his bed. You may just have a little dog that sleeps on your bed, though!

Every bit of love and effort you put into your little Beagle will be returned a thousand times over. Keep at it and enjoy your new life with your new best friend.

Maybe Mason's will see this thread and give you some better advice. How 'bout it Mason's?

ddaloia

beagles

kinda wanted to disagree. Sounds somewhat like my beagle. I have had her for 6 years. I also have a new 3 month old beagle going through the same issues as my first dog. About the 6 year old: The bitting of objects went away with time, it was more of a puppy thing. She has never hurt anyone nor will she ever. But on occasion she will be stuborn. Somewhat similar to the pooping issue: if it is raining, my dog has a hard time going to the bathroom. Eating garbage: Not as much anymore probably because of using the NO command but still if something has a strong smell beagles tend to put right in the mouth. Also, only when they are young can they be left with out any supervision. They follow their nose where ever it takes them. As for sleeping on the bed: sounds just like my dog. I let her sleep on the bed so I can not really relate. But if she needs to get under the covers, she will wake me up to do so.

MEG126

the not wanting to "go" in front of people thing i've seen before. i was taking care of my friends' dogs this past week and they had their driveway re-sealed, so the dogs couldn't walk on it. i was staying with them in the house and i thought they were acting like they needed to 'go'. so i got a leash, and took them out in the front yard. they have an electric fence, so they aren't used to having the limits of a leash to do their business. needless to say my grand idea didn't work and they just ended up holding it. also when my golden was younger, we'd take her out on a leash in the front yard to do her business when she was a little puppy (we have a nice-sized fenced in yard) and it got so that she wouldn't go in the backyard because she didn't want to pollute it. lol she's used to it now because she just stopped getting the walks and figured she had to go out there. it worked. :)

my golden also has a similar problem to picking the garbage off the street when on walks. except it's aLOT grosser. she has a tendency to pick up roadkill and bring it home for us. lovely little presents. :eek: we avoid such 'treats' as much as possible.

she also sleeps on my bed with me. i didn't like the idea of her taking advantage of her spot and sorta claiming her territory. i wanted to make sure she knew that it was a priviledge so i made sure that she didn't get up until i told her she could. i taught her 'wait' whenever she would try to get up and if she got up without permission, i made her get back off. basic stuff like that.

good luck!! :)

Members online

No members online now.