Eating way too fast

One of our boys, Licore eats very, very quickly. We got Licore when he was 9 months old. He was starving and eating dog poop when we got him. He is 6 now and still eats like I am going to take it away from him. He has his two brothers and they all eat at the same time. Licore is about 95 pounds. He is also alpha and no one goes near his bowl. If I give him some treat food he goes crazy and really scarfs it down. When we first got him he used to get sick from eating too quickly. When we feed him he jumps around the kitchen as though we were feeding him sirlon! Can anyone suggests any remedies for this other than feeding him by hand, which I have done. Many thanks, LL

avenlee

That's real interesting Serena and I can imagine that would work. What I would do and have done is let them eat some, then take the bowl away and tell them OK, swallow! then give the bowl back and so on and so on.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
I have to do that with Beulah. She always eats really fast. So, I give her a little bit of food, let her eat it, then make her sit, then I giver her some more. It seems to be working a little...

thank you

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I will try the cake pan. Right now, I am either feeding him by hand or taking his bowl away at intervals! LL

sarahlou

Hiya, just a few suggstions, I agree with the thers feed Licore in other ways, use a fizzy drink bottle if its dry food and let him work out how to get the food out.
Or use kongs or scatter the food for him to scavenge.
You should never take his food bowl away from him, you could give him a small amount and add to it a few times this would then stop him from thinking that someone is going to take away his food and also get him used to people approaching his food bowl with rewards rather than to take it away. I know you are then giving him more food but he willl only associate you with taking his food bowl away and therefore eat quicker.
Hope this helps

Members online

No members online now.