Need help on deciding between Retrievers

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason

gaddylovesdogs said:
And BTW, that list is for all retrievers.
Do you know anything about a FCR? On some web sites they listed that it is a slightly better watchdog. I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems that nobody really knows anything about this breed.

While they may be a slightly better watchdog, retrievers weren't meant to be watchdogs, therefore they aren't too great at it.

gaddylovesdogs said:
Jason, Please Ask Yourself....

How much time do I have to exercise a pet every day? [a border collie wouldn't work for someone who can walk the dog for only a few minutes every day. Pets also need mental stimulation!]

How much time do I have to groom a pet every day? [a lab would not work for someone who cannot groom at least monthly]

How much time do I have to clean up after a pet every day? [puppies and kittens make lots of mess! Certain breeds do, too!]

How much time do I have to train a pet every day? [all pets need to be trained, some more than other, and some breeds more than others too. Terrier dogs need lots of training to be well-behaved]

How much money can I spend on veterinary care every year? [for three dogs, my family spends $4,000 to $5,000 a year. The cost of veterinary care is usually based on the supplies used and time spent. Veterinary care for your chihuahua can and probably will cost as much as veterinary care for your friend's great dane]

How much money can I spend on general supplies (toys, leashes and collars, etc.) every few months? [puppies and kittens need lots of toys to play with. Collars and identification tags are important for boths cats and dogs, and dogs should be exercised daily]

How much money can I spend on food every month? [it can cost often over $50]

Can I enroll in a training class? [training classes are a good idea for certain breeds of dogs and they're good for socializing puppies]

How many hours would the pet be spending alone every day? [don't leave your pet alone for long periods of time!

If more than 6-8 hours, can I hire someone to walk the dog or feed the cat? [you could hire a trustworthy neighborhood kid to walk Fido while you work, or to feed Kitty when you're out late]

Do I travel frequently? [pets and frequent travelers most often do not mix]

Are there any young children around? [certain breeds like terrier dogs are generally not good with small children]

Are there other pets? [always introduce pets on neutral territory, and know your pets. For example, pit bulls are dog aggressive and cannot be left unsupervised with other animals]

Are there elderly humans around? [hyper animals and elderly people are usually not good matches]
Please post your answers to these questions. :)

Here is a breed description for the Flat-Coated Retriever from another site.
BREED DESCRIPTION

Credit for development of the Flat-Coated Retriever is given to a sportsman, S.E. Shirley, whose other noteworthy accomplishment was the founding of The Kennel Club (England) in 1873. How the Flat-Coat was developed is unclear, but it is thought that the breed is a mixture of various sporting breeds combined with Collie breeding to give added working ability and a straighter coat. Until World War I, this was among the most popular of show dogs in Britain, as well as a favorite in the field. Since then, both the Labrador and Golden Retrievers have surpassed the Flat-Coat in popularity, but the breed retains a loyal following. Fanciers value the Flat-Coat as much for its working ability as for its handsome appearance. The breed is upstanding and balanced but not extreme in any feature. Weight ranges from 60 to 70 pounds. The coat is dense, fine, glossy, as flat as possible and resilient to the touch. The occasional bath and frequent brushing keep it in condition. The Flat-Coat is loyal, protective, affectionate and good with children. It adapts well to city or country living, provided it gets lots of outdoor activity.
And from another site...
Temperament
Character is a primary and outstanding asset of the Flat-Coat. He is a responsive, loving member of the family, a versatile working dog, multi-talented, sensible, bright and tractable. In competition the Flat-Coat demonstrates stability- and a desire to please with a confident, happy and outgoing attitude characterized by a wagging tail. Nervous, hyperactive, apathetic, shy or obstinate behavior is undesirable. Severe Fault-Unprovoked aggressive behavior toward people or animals is totally- unacceptable.

J

Jason

gaddylovesdogs said:
Jason, Please Ask Yourself....

How much time do I have to exercise a pet every day? [a border collie wouldn't work for someone who can walk the dog for only a few minutes every day. Pets also need mental stimulation!] I would say 30-60 minutes daily between myself, my wife, a dog-walker, and day care.

How much time do I have to groom a pet every day? [a lab would not work for someone who cannot groom at least monthly] We could do about 10 minutes about five times a week. But if more was necessary we'd do it.

How much time do I have to clean up after a pet every day? [puppies and kittens make lots of mess! Certain breeds do, too!] As much as needed.

How much time do I have to train a pet every day? [all pets need to be trained, some more than other, and some breeds more than others too. Terrier dogs need lots of training to be well-behaved] We'd take the puppy to obedience classes and whatever else was necessary on the side. We'd talk to the instructor about this.

How much money can I spend on veterinary care every year? [for three dogs, my family spends $4,000 to $5,000 a year. The cost of veterinary care is usually based on the supplies used and time spent. Veterinary care for your chihuahua can and probably will cost as much as veterinary care for your friend's great dane] Whatever it takes for a healty, happy, and loving dog.

How much money can I spend on general supplies (toys, leashes and collars, etc.) every few months? [puppies and kittens need lots of toys to play with. Collars and identification tags are important for boths cats and dogs, and dogs should be exercised daily] This dog will be spoiled rotten. Remember, we don't have kids yet.

How much money can I spend on food every month? [it can cost often over $50] Whatever it takes to feed the dog as perfect a diet as possible.

Can I enroll in a training class? [training classes are a good idea for certain breeds of dogs and they're good for socializing puppies] Definitely. Already have the names of some good trainers.

How many hours would the pet be spending alone every day? [don't leave your pet alone for long periods of time!] I would say about two or three days a week, the dog would be left alone for about eight to ten hours.

If more than 6-8 hours, can I hire someone to walk the dog or feed the cat? [you could hire a trustworthy neighborhood kid to walk Fido while you work, or to feed Kitty when you're out late] I would never just leave the dog home alone for that period of time. We'll probably take him to doggie day care starting at the appropriate age, but until then we'll have a professional dog walker twice a day.

Do I travel frequently? [pets and frequent travelers most often do not mix] We do and that's a bummer. We'll just have to travel less.

Are there any young children around? [certain breeds like terrier dogs are generally not good with small children] Children in 1-2 years.

Are there other pets? [always introduce pets on neutral territory, and know your pets. For example, pit bulls are dog aggressive and cannot be left unsupervised with other animals] None

Are there elderly humans around? [hyper animals and elderly people are usually not good matches]None
I thought I just needed to ask myself? :)

Fran27

Jason said:
I think it's irresponsible of you to generalize in this way. You're essentially deeming that all breeders of Labradoodles are corrupt and greedy. Is it not possible that some breeders of Labradoodles love dogs and treat them well? Aren't all breeders essentially in it for the money? I think we can all agree that "puppy mills" are a terrible thing. But that is a far cry from the Labradoodle breeder I'd do business with.
All dogs definitely shed and I don't see anyone making claims to the contrary. But I guarantee that this mix will shed less than a purebred Retriever.
Obviously you didn't read my post, the breeder you mentionned is anything but responsible. He breeds labradoodles to make more labradoodles, and of course there is no way of knowing that the parents have no health problem - obviously they haven't done any tests.

So, as I said, if you want a labradoodle, get one from someone who will have done tests on both parents at least.

For golden retrievers - they shed a lot, hate being alone, and are not so good at watchdogs - although Boris will bark if someone goes next to the yard or is at the front door.

I'd like to add that you seem like a responsible owner though, just make sure you get your dog from a good place.

Jason, thanks for answering the questions!! You seem like a pretty responsible person. However, could you answer these questions more specifically?

How much time do I have to clean up after a pet every day? [puppies and kittens make lots of mess! Certain breeds do, too!]

How much money can I spend on veterinary care every year? [for three dogs, my family spends $4,000 to $5,000 a year. The cost of veterinary care is usually based on the supplies used and time spent. Veterinary care for your chihuahua can and probably will cost as much as veterinary care for your friend's great dane]

How much money can I spend on general supplies (toys, leashes and collars, etc.) every few months? [puppies and kittens need lots of toys to play with. Collars and identification tags are important for boths cats and dogs, and dogs should be exercised daily]

I suggest you check out your local shelter and search www.petfinder.com. Rescuing a dog is one of the best things you can do, with 5 million dogs being euthanized in American shelters every year.

J

Jason

gaddylovesdogs said:
Jason, thanks for answering the questions!! You seem like a pretty responsible person. However, could you answer these questions more specifically?

I suggest you check out your local shelter and search www.petfinder.com. Rescuing a dog is one of the best things you can do, with 5 million dogs being euthanized in American shelters every year.
Are you for real?

J

Jason

Fran27 said:
Obviously you didn't read my post, the breeder you mentionned is anything but responsible. He breeds labradoodles to make more labradoodles, and of course there is no way of knowing that the parents have no health problem - obviously they haven't done any tests.

So, as I said, if you want a labradoodle, get one from someone who will have done tests on both parents at least.
Obviously, you didn't read that web site. I don't always believe what I read but I have a good vibe about them, especially considering my neighbor bought one from them.

Fran27 said:
I'd like to add that you seem like a responsible owner though, just make sure you get your dog from a good place.
Thank you, I appreciate your kind words. :)

Fran27

I did read the site. My first bad impression is that they are breeding mutts and act as if they were purebred. My main bad impression is that nowhere do they mention that the parents have had any tests done. Sure, they are cute and correspond to their standard, but it doesn't mean that they are healthy. Finally, with so many dogs, it's more a dog factory than anything else. They don't have time to give the proper attention and socialization that then puppies require.

I'm asking that you reanswer those few questions because your answers were very simple and didn't really explain.

Fran27

I'm taking his side there though. I would myself have a really hard time putting a number on how much I can pay every month for food, toys etc.

His answers simply didn't give enough information. Retrievers are a medium-large breed, and even with a high-quality brand eat quite a bit every day.

bubbatd

Jason.....I would go the Golden route...through rescue ( you see what you get) or through a very reputable breeder who has history of both lines and has done all the testing.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Well I have to stick with Jason on this one. There is nothing wrong with the lab poodle cross and i agree that you have to watch who you get it from BUT they can be great dogs JUST like any other mixed breed. My uncles girl is wonderful and fits right into their family situation

Jason if you have done your research on the breeds and have asked yourself the questions that gaddy posted then you do what you gotta do man. As long as you realize that you are getting into a long term commitment here that can't just be undone. As long as you know you can take care of this dogs every need then you don't really need to explain yourself to others.

I also agree that rescuing a shelter dog is a great idea but you have to watch the shelters too. we were going to get a puppy from a shelter and they were going to have him neutered at 8 weeks old. well that doesn't fly with me so i said no that i would get my own dog and have him neutered when he was the appropraite age. I just can't see how THAT is in the puppies best interest. I was a little angry at that whole situation. No way should an 8 week old puppy be neutered or spayed.

But like i said before as long as you have done your research and know what it will take to care for whatever dog you choose then you do your thing. Just for the record though Labradoodles do shed less and have less dander so they ARE less likely to cause problems with allergies. My brother has really bad allergies and he is fine with that dog. Good luck on finding your perfect pet :D

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with mixed breeds - I own two mixed breeds myself - but there is something wrong with purchasing one from a "breeder". My two wonderful mixes are rescues, and they're two of the best dogs I've met.

Fran27

Yes, nothing against mixes, I also think that the labradoodles of that site are pretty cool... It's just that asking the price of a pure bred dog for a mutt is a bit much.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Oh i agree that no way should that dog cost 800 bucks thats nuts. specially when my beloved mutt cost us $50 and he is the most wonderful dog in the whole world (well in my world anyway) lol

I think mutts are better than purebreds because you are pretty much guaranteed that your dog is going to be original and isn't going to look just like anyone elses mutt

hooray for mutts :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.