Need Advice On Walking Issue!

Kathy74

Okay, when Jersey was 6 mths old, her early training was interrupted by me getting sick and being basically bed ridden for 7 mths. The girls wouldn't leave my side and my husband had to pick up the slack around the house, which didn't leave him with much free time. Since May, I've been back to normal and we've been training, walking, back to our old life! That said, we tried to socialize the girls as much as we could, but were obviously not overly social ourselves when I was sick! Well, today one of the side effects of our 7 mths at home was painfully obvious! I had been walking the girls very early in the morning when it was hot, but now that it is colder we are walking later and encountering a lot more. Jersey has always cried when she saw other dogs, or children, but there's so many people out and about now, it feels like she's crying for half the walk, and I feel so bad for her. Since May, we've had tons of people and dogs over and gone to visit people with dogs, and she's always great. It's just when we're walking that it is so bad. And today, a very large choc lab was walking towards us ( on leash with his owner) and she started crying like she was being tortured, which got Serene's hackles up, because she didn't know what was wrong with her Jersey! I'm just sad for her, and want to try to fix this, if it's not too late! I would just walk her out in the country where we wouldn't meet anyone, but soon we may be moving to a larger center and then I wouldn't be able to walk them at all!

Sounds like it will take a little time for Jersey to get used to the activity. Try taking him for shorter walks or very close to the comfort of home and venture out more and more as she can stand it.

Chazhound

I'd strongly suggest walking them separately, too. Serene is getting upset by Jersey's crying and it's going to hamper her sociability. And Jersey may need to have your undivided attention until she looses her fears. She may also get over them more quickly if she doesn't have an attentive audience . . . lol . . . amazing how they'll learn to manipulate each other (you can guess how I know about that - Kharma's an expert)! :D

Members online