dog keeps on making big holes

Well, the reason she's doing it can be found in her name, American Pit Bull Terrier. Terrier is from "terra" for earth. All Terriers, no matter how the breed has been manipulated to do different tasks, are at heart, diggers who will follow prey into the earth. Each individual dog is different, of course, and some are more driven to dig than others.

That's not to say that you can't curb her enthusiasm for the digging. Typically, we're told not to scold a dog unless we catch it in the act. Sometimes that's just not practical, though, and an APBT - or any Terrier for that matter - is bright enough to understand what they're being reprimanded for. Take her over to her latest dig, make her look at it, point at the hole and tell her firmly that there is to be no digging. Make her sit there and watch you fill in the hole, then walk her away and get an acceptable toy and play with her. It may take a few sessions, and she may never completely stop, but you should be able to cut down on the excavations.

Just remember, though, if she senses prey underground, it's going to be difficult for her to resist going after it. That's what Terriers do! :D

avenlee

I have a West Highland White Terrier (and you tell me that isn't fun!) Although she's not into digging YET (only turned one Sept. 29 :) ) she sure loves to roll in dirt, dirt and the dirtiest dirt. I'm forever bathing her. I haven't had her groomed yet (she was just spaded 2 months ago, so was pretty shaved on her belly and backside), but hate the thought of spending $30.00 only to see her rolling rolling rolling :rolleyes: But their so darn cute even dirty! lol

I had a Lhasa Apso when my husband and I lived with my in-laws and would dig sooo much in the backyard, he dug straight down to the septic tank. No lie.. I remember my father-in-law was out in the yard and I let Spencer out the sliding glass door, went back to my dishes and looked out the window and all I could see through the window was dirt flying! I ran out the sliding glass door and all I could see is Spencer's butt by the side of the foundation with dirt flying out from under it. I had to quietly stop her and bring her in without my father-in-law noticing. Then fill it in of course. ;)

Renee made a very good suggestion and would try it. We moved from our in-laws shortly after and Spencer really wasn't out of my site at our new place and didn't dig any holes. He eventually grew out of it, but then again, he isn't a Terrier.

Good Luck !

Debi

Addie is a digger...boy, she loves it. Sometimes it is because she is digging up around a tree where there are chipmunks. But, she will also dig for pleasure. I went in to clean the pen yesterday, and she has a hole that is truly at least a foot deep and two feet wide. I looked everywhere and was amazed that there isn't any extra dirt anywhere! I can't imagine how she can dig such a hole, and even with dirt flying in all directions you don't see any. The hole is smack in the middle of the pen. If she ever starts digging near the fence, we're gonna have to take steps to put something under...or even rebar driven down every 6 ins. or something. She is a husky mix, and I think it is just part of her hunting instinct. One nice thing.........she never needs her nails clipped during the warm months! She also is a dog that likes to bury things. I've never seen Hammie the least bit interested in the dirt. Good thing........or they'd have a pen we'd have to step down into. lol :)

Members online

No members online now.