I've been debating this for a while...I would like your oppinion

LaylaMuddy

Show Quality Weimaraners!
I've been debating whether or not I should breed Ashanie to Muddy or not.

Muddy is a Long-haired Weim & Ashanie is a Short-haired Weim.

Do you think I should go ahead & breed them,or should I stay Short-haired to Short-haired & long-haired to long-haired?

LaylaMuddy

My don't have a distinct long coat,but the have a longer coat than my other 2.I've shown both of my long haired weims in AKC shows & never been disqualified.

RD

Are you dead yet?
OK, so Muddy's coat is his flaw. Is he a stable dog otherwise? You probably show them, so is he, outside of his coat, a good example of the Weimaraner breed?

Personally I wouldn't breed a longer coated weim if I was looking to breed dogs for conformation, because according to breed clubs, their coat should be short and smooth.
BUT, if I was breeding working dogs, focusing mainly on temperament and drive, I wouldn't think twice about breeding a superb working dog with a conformational flaw like a longer coat.

pitbulliest

Uhm... Oh gosh..here I go again..

Have you shown your dogs? For how many generations (or, for how many generations have the dog's lines been showed, etc)? Have both the dogs been completely health tested including FDA, and have you studied the family history including hereditary medical problems and temperament of parents, grandparents, great grandparents..etc? Have you done a temperament test on both dogs? Are you planning on creating a specific contract for potential buyers that tells them they are to neuter/spay the pup they buy from you OR ELSE they will be taken to court and fined? Do you have a contract that tells the potential buyers that if in any case they cannot keep the dog, then they MUST return the dog to you and you WILL take it under any circumstance and have it properly rehoused or keep it yourself if need be? Are you going to do thorough house checkups and potential buyer screenings before you place ANY of your puppies?

You need to answer yourself these questions and MORE if you're ever considering bringing MORE puppies into this world when there are clearly enough..unless you are breeding to better the breed, and know exactly what you're doing..have experience, and are responsible and reputable..then I sincerely suggest you fix your dogs and forget about it..

pitbulliest

I've read the post that you linked us to there...it sounds like you really do love these dogs. I just hope you do whats best for the breed...and for the puppies that you bring into the world.. at this point, it seems I shouldn't be one to judge you. I have to admit, your dogs are quite beautiful.

LaylaMuddy

I do love the breed.I love my dogs.They have 40 acres to roam.An Agility Center.When I have a female who is going to whelp.She has a private house,The Whelping House,it has A/C & Heating.Both my long-hairs that I'm retiring at the end of this year are SAR dogs.

As for the puppies.I usaully have no more than 5-6 puppies in 1 litter.I have the buyers lined up 3 weeks BEFORE I even breed my female.

The litter you see in my siggy is the LARGEST litter I have ever had!Yes,they all went to good homes.

I have a rescue,help me screen potential buyers,before I give them an answer.

LaylaMuddy

I'm not going to breed Ashanie to Muddy.They got into a little brawl this morning,so they aren't being friendly to each other.

I would love to see photos of your whelping house and facilities. We're going to be breeding Filas and simply must get some things built to accomodate them.

Several members have had questions about agility, too, and would probably love to hear about your training course and see some photos of it, too.

LaylaMuddy

I'll try to get pictures as soon as I get the grounds cleaned up.We had a fight in the Agility Center this morning.So EVERYTHING is messed up.The Whelping House hasn't been cleaned since my last litter went home.So I'll try to get the cleaned out & get pictures for everyone.

LOL They can create chaos when they want to! My Shiva is a one-dog wrecking crew, and when she and Kharma both get tuned up and rollicking, the walls shake. I'm VERY glad my two are so copascetic. I'd be completely worn to a frazzle if I had to worry about these monsters fighting. They're like we are, though, sometimes personalities just clash and sometimes there's just a disagreement.

I hope there were no real injuries.

Members online