Dog biting-Please help

I have had my 9 month old Choc Lab since she was 8 weeks old. She is super friendly, well loved and very socialized. She goes to the dog park and daycare since she was 16 weeks. This past week, I picked her up from her half day daycare and was told that she had bitten the attendant in the arm. This occurred when another dog was being picked up and all the dogs were crowded at the gate.
The next day I took her back and picked her up to learn she had bitten one on the leg when they were letting another dog out. She has never been aggresive or given me any reason not to trust her.
I need help with this one cause she cannot be left at home all day in her crate. They suggested therapy for her but wanted to see if any of you had advise.
Thank you

If she's never exhibited any aggressive behaviour, I'm more inclined to wonder what is happening to her there than anything else.

It could even be that there's just a sensory overload and it's all too much for her when things get crowded and excited.

Is there a room in your home, like a laundry room or bathroom, that can be puppy-proofed?

I called the vet today to find out more details about the event. I should hear something Monday. I'm using the gentle leader wherever I go. The thing that sucks is now she can't go anywhere for daycare cause its in her file. I really can't believe that she would do that, she is so sweet. Hopefully I will find out more Monday. We have a big yard but our fence isn't tall enough. If we left her alone I would be scared she would jump the fence. The homeowners association has rules on fence height. I am going to work on puppy proofing a room and see how that works.
Thank you

It would be interesting to know if, and how many, other owners have had this problem at this particular daycare, and which handlers it occured with.

As far as being in the house goes, Bimmer and Kharma are fine left alone inside the house, but we have to put Shiva in the laundry room. She rummages through the kitchen if we don't.

Make sure she's got some toys to keep her busy. There are different types of puzzle toys now that can occupy dogs for hours on end, and there's the ever faithful Kong frozen with peanut butter inside.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Not to offend you, but even the sweetest dog can be difficult and aggressive when their owners aren't there. I don't necessarily blame the dog for that, but it CAN and DOES happen.

So, before you say 'I can't believe she would do that", I would look into exactly what they said she did. What situations she was in, what people she bit, and what the environment was like at the time she bit. Those are usually big factors in WHY a dog bites. (Most don't bite without a reason. Even though the reason might be ridiculous and need lots of training to correct, it might make sense to a dog)

I would either get a crate or dog-proof a room. The ups of a crate are that the dog can be in any room, and you don't have to puppy proof so diligently, but if you work 8 hours a day, that's pushing the limit on how much crate time the dog should have.

The puppy proofed room is also good, but you lose your room because mostly everything has to be removed from the room so the dog doesn't chew on it, and if the dog isn't reliably house trained, you'll come home to find piddles all over the place. :p

pitbulliest

I think Rip's Girl has given you some excellent advice and comments..especially concerning the different factors which may have caused the dog to bite...if it was even a bite..just remember that you weren't there..and alot of times, people can't even distinguish a bite from a graps or a nibble...could she have been playing? Was she over excited? there are so many things to consider here...

Not to mention, if it didn't draw blood, then I wouldn't really consider it a bite to be honest..as my dogs have both grabbed onto my arm or leg more than once and it did hurt, but it never drew blood...and it was because we were all playing..the dogs were excited..and they confused my arm for a rope toy...

We can't always blame the dog..we have to look at other factors like rip's girl has mentioned...definately look into dog proofing a room in the home instead of taking her to a doggy daycare...I find that when there are ALOT of dogs together..it becomes overwhelming for some of them..too many new smells and new faces...that's why offleash dog parks tend to be the number one place that fights begin or people get bitten..hey like I always say, its better to be safe then sorry..

I hope you keep us updated and try not to worry too much just yet...monitor her and see how she continues to behave...good luck.

Millie

I have a yellow lab that was the same way. When he was a puppy he really was a sweet little thing. A friend of mine picked him up and rubbed noses and he bit her. That was the day his new name was Freddy Krueger from nightmare on elm street. We would not let the little neighbor kids play with him. He would tackle them to the ground. Then a few weeks later another freind came over. We said DON'T PUT THE DOG BY YOUR FACE. Well he got bit. Fred is not aggresive he just plays to rough when he was wound up. It took 2 years before he got over it. I have heard that lab puppys are more prone to biting.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Actually, many dogs can bite aggressively without drawing blood. My Border Collie has play-bit me several times and ripped my hand open, but my Chow mix went after one particularly nasty kid once, bit him, but didn't break the skin. I think what matters most is the dog's intentions, not the severity of the bite.

Debi

I'm just wondering the situation....how they were handling the dogs. I had a friend who owned the sweetest dog in the world. Until one day when we were having a snowball fight and ran quickly into her house. (we were 12) The dog just got too excited at that moment and gave my sister an awful bite on her leg. The dog was never aggressive before or after that incident......just got too excited and we frightened it. Maybe the way we ran in making noise, the dog was protecting my friend..in it's own mind. If that's the only place your dog is showing aggression (IF it is that, as mentioned in the other posts) and there ONLY.....I'd wonder about that place. Not meaning to sound as if I'm picking, but there are enough stories about child neglect, etc. at daycare centers........just imagine what could go on regarding abusive treatment to animals that can't speak up. that's just a thought.

Hammie still plays too rough sometimes and also grabs my arm or hand instead of the rope toy. He is much better, but still a goofy puppy sometimes. He always looks surprised when he hears my 'OUCH!' and stops immediately. Never breaks the skin.......but does hurt. I'd not call it a 'bite' tho. Addie would sometimes play too rough until she was about 1 1/2 yrs. old.

I also agree........you don't know how your dog will act away from you. When someone tells me their dog would 'never' bite....I totally disagree....YA JUST NEVER KNOW. Just like some children who are better behaved at home but act up sometimes when away from parental supervision.

The truth is, I just don't trust anyone but myself, Charley or my parents to handle my dogs. I have never trusted anyone with my dogs, and seriously doubt I ever will. It's even been an adjustment for me taking them to Dr. Pilkington, since he takes them back to an examination area without the owners. I quit worrying about it when Bimmer went back without a qualm, though, since he trusts NO ONE!

Too many people who work in the dog daycare are well-meaning, but have absolutely no clue about the real world of dealing with dogs. There is no specific training, per se and anyone who "just loves doggies" can open one for business. Most of these people are well-meaning, but really just don't have any reality-based idea of how to handle all those dogs. Add into this the characteristic that many breeds have of bonding only with their owners and you've got a recipe for dog bites, fights and other mishaps.

Some more news

Thanks to everyone that responded. I talked with the vet this morning and she told me that it definately the problem with the gate. They think it is her way of getting attention. The other dogs are jumping and barking but there is noyone biting so she thinks she can bite. They reassured me that my dog is super friendly and plays great with the other pups. They just dont want the problem getting out of hand so they banned her until its fixed. The problem I see is how can it be fixed unless she is in that situation. They told me I could come back there to check how the dogs respond but that doesn't really help her.
I also think she has no boundaries so I am looking at the way she is trained. Reading a book called " leader of the pack" which is giving me some suggestions.
Let me know if any of you have advice
Thanks again

Renee is right, There is a doggy daycare here in Kingston, sometimes they have no dogs, sometimes one, sometimes two, but it seems to be that there is never a worker in there playing with them, the dogs poo or pee on the floor, and this is petcetera here!!! It's known around ontario and maybe the rest of canada who knwos but... It baffles me, they just hire random people sometimes becuase they can work a cash register, the dogs sit at the window and cry wanting to get out and nobody even gives a crap. I'd rather have my dog rip apart my room than to take him there and pay like 14 dollars a day for someone to ignore him

Members online

No members online now.