Potty Training Issues, Please Help!

Abberz

Please help me with my doggie. I have a yellow lab, she is almost a year old. We decided not to have her spayed, incase we decided to breed her. During her first cycle, we discovered that she has vaginal hyperplasia, and that she tries to give birth to her organs, the cure was to have her spayed. We also had her dew claws removed. Before the surgery we let her in during the day when we were home, but she slept outside at night, and was out while we were at work. She has been excellent at learning to go to the bathroom outside, and letting us know that she has to if we have taken too long to let her out, also she never ever uses the bathroom during the night. But lately she cannot hold her pee if she gets excited, like a visitor comes, or if she is, or even thinks that she is in trouble. We contacted our vet over the matter and he said that because of the lack of hormones from having her spayed, she is bulking up and when she tenses her muscles are pushing the pee out of her bladder. He suggested us getting hormone pills for her to be given once a day for the first week, and then once a week after that. They have helped, but still no luck. Are there any other suggestions? I am really tired of cleaning my carpet because she thinks she might be in trouble, and I don't feel that I can punish her too much for it, but she is driving me insane! HELP!

Manda0304

Hi,
we had a pomeranian he was a yippy dog so he got excited a lot to and would be but also was not very good about using the bathroom out side so we wher atleast claning the carpet 5 times a day and it got to where we had to get rid of him because we wher trying to train for a year 1/2 and never got better all we would do when he did go potty is say no not yell just a little firm but of course we didnt hit or anything but what may help is when he is in the house and he lets you know he needs to go out put treats in your pocket when you take him out and only if he goes give him one or a 1/2 of a treat but do not if he did not go and dont give him treats for tricks untill he is potty trained and wont go when he gets excited either.
We found him a wounderfull home we told the people why we had to get rid of him and they wher fine with having him because they only had hard wood flooring so it wasnt so bade if he went all they had to do is wipe it up.
Mandi

I thought Shiva was the biggest puppy(?) to have the excited piddling problem. It really makes you feel silly when a 100 pound puppy gets so wound up she piddles all over the place! She's younger than your lab, but her breed isn't nearly as exciteable as the lab, so you might take that into consideration. I thought she would never quit piddling when she got excited! I'd never had a big dog with that problem. As she's gotten a little older and closer to maturity, it's stopped. Finally!

You've got to remember, too, that anesthesia is extremely traumatic, as is major surgery. You don't mention how long it's been since her surgery, but that could be part of the problem, along with some possible lingering soreness and loss of muscle tone in her abdomen. And you have to figure in, also, that sometimes women who have hysterectomies have this problem due to surgical trauma.

You may have to restrict her to parts of the house that aren't carpeted for awhile, or keep a spray bottle of cleaner handy.

Abberz

To tell you the truth, I am not sure when we had her spayed, but she is fully healed from it. I want to say that it was late december, or early january, but I am not sure on the precise date.

Thanks for the reply!

That's not so very long ago; remember, she's had the equivalent of a complete hysterectomy. It takes quite awhile to recover fully from something that major, even though dogs do tend to be much hardier than we are.

Members online