Hello

Greetings from Oakville, Ontario, Canada. My name is Julia and I have a black standard poodle puppy named Jet. He is 4 months old.

He had an x-ray on his hips on Friday at the same time he was neutered and the vet found a slight sulbexation on one hip and prescribed him with glucosomine. Has anyone else had this problem with a puppy?

lc212

No thank goodness ,good luck with your pup . LC
jet-on-devon said:
Greetings from Oakville, Ontario, Canada. My name is Julia and I have a black standard poodle puppy named Jet. He is 4 months old.

He had an x-ray on his hips on Friday at the same time he was neutered and the vet found a slight sulbexation on one hip and prescribed him with glucosomine. Has anyone else had this problem with a puppy?

NikNak

Hi Julia...Nikki (NikNak) from San Antonio Texas...sorry about your pup. We have a Great Pyrenees. He was diagnosed with hip displasia ( in both hips) at also, 4 mos. Unfortunately for us, his subluxation was so severe, it was not "treatable" with any kind of meds. His only hope for a "normal" life was surgery. Thunder has now undergone surgery on both hips...T(triple) p(pelvic) O(osteoctomy). His first surgery was the last week of February, 2003 and the second hip was April 10th 2003. (my birthday). He now has a metal plate/6 screws in each hip. Fortunately, seeing him today, you would NEVER know it. He certainly doesn't act like he has hip displasia! He is now 17mos old and 90lbs! We have 5 dogs and he can out play them all! He is also on a glucosamine/chondroitin regimen. He gets 2 tablets a day (1780mlgs) and his food (Nutro for large breeds) is also made with glucosamine. Any treats he gets, also include glucasamine. Our vet says that Thunder is doing excellent, as does his surgeon. We consider ourseves blessed. We couldn't imagine our household without Thunder! Although this is not a cure, it helps to make the joints and muscles stronger. I pray that you are lucky enough that you are never faced with the decision of surgery but if you are, it's not hopeless! There is definately life after surgery! Thunder definatley faces great odds of arthritis in his future but with the proper diet and excersise he will live a long, healthy, happy, life. More than anything, when Thunder was diagnosed, I just wanted someone to talk to. I was so increadibly scared for him. Support is the best medicine for both of you. I won't go int the gory/exhausting details of his surgery and care afterwards unless it's necessary. For now, just love your pup and follow your vets recommendations. For support, I'm here. Good luck. Nikki.

Hi Julia,

I have a cocker spaniel named Luke, he is 3 months.
:( He doesn't have any problems but I wish you luck with Jet.
WELCOME TO CHAZHOUND!

jet-on-devon said:

I'll second lc212! Dysplasia is every dog owner's dread! Best of luck, and do keep us posted.

Members online