How can something be unnatural?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
This is a fairly stupid rant, but it's been on my mind today.

How in the world can something be "unnatural"?

I have never understood that statement. Doesn't everything on this planet come from nature? I've heard people say thinks like "that product is unnatural, so I avoid it," or "it's natural, so it's good for you."

I don't like that argument at all. Just because something is produced by the hand of man does not make it bad for you. And just because something grows from a seed does not make it good for you.

I just cannot follow that reasoning. It makes no sense to me. I personally think that unless it came in a pod from the planet Krypton, it's natural to earth.

Thoughts?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I think what most people are getting at is that something "unnatural" would not be found in that state in nature. Like you wouldn't find menadione in nature, it's a created, synthetic product, so it's unnatural.

Debi

for good or for bad.....'natural' IS that found in nature. it's just that simple. it's not a statement that it is a big plus for mankind...it's simply saying it is 'natural'.

Im trying to think of something man has made that is good for you. Other than twinkies I am drawing a blank. The medications you hear about on TV all the time are just down right scary. Take this pill called flatusil and it may help control dutch oven syndrome. Then followed by -Possible side effects are heart problems, rectal hemorrhage, bloating, nervous system break down and hallucinations, if you experience erections lasting more than three days you should see a physician. Nature is a scary and dangerous thing when its tampered with. I bet nature has killed more people than all of the wars and violence combined.

Debi

Im trying to think of something man has made that is good for you. Other than twinkies I am drawing a blank. The medications you hear about on TV all the time are just down right scary. Take this pill called flatusil and it may help control dutch oven syndrome. Then followed by -Possible side effects are heart problems, rectal hemorrhage, bloating, nervous system break down and hallucinations, if you experience erections lasting more than three days you should see a physician. Nature is a scary and dangerous thing when its tampered with. I bet nature has killed more people than all of the wars and violence combined.
EVERY drug commercial I see......I ALWAYS say...HOLY CRAP, the side effects are worse than the original condition!!!!!!

nobody ever said nature was kind. wild demonic weather can be classified as nature......and it is often lethal. :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
But hurricanes at least kill you cleanly and not from cancer or brain explosions from erections that last too long.

It makes me wonder if the world is a huge living organism and we are like a form of bacteria infecting it until its immune system kicks in and it festers up like a giant zit...then one day poooowwweee like the John Belushi zit impression in animal house.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I wouldn't be surprised to find that was true. It's not an original idea either...just look at all the nature-oriented religions of the native americans/pagans/etc.

Maybe it's just a thing about human nature--our lives are so artificial (not meant in a bad way, I'm all for tampons and air conditioning) that we can't help suspecting that something chemical is going to come whale on us when our backs are turned.

bubbatd

Buckyboy , that's what I used to wonder !! Once in physics , the teacher was talking about the molecules/atoms etc that made up a wooden table top .....my mind wandered as I thought how similar this was to our galaxies etc . Then I began to wonder is I was just part of a table . LOL!! Yes , I was very young , but it was fun to speculate !

That's always been one of my favorite speculative fantasies . . . and then there was the Bugs Bunny cartoon where he looks up and there's an eye looking back down at him through a microscope :D

bubbatd

I remember that one !!! One of my fantasy games as a child , was to lay out on the ground and pretend I was the size of a small ant crawling around grasses/stones /sticks and small puddles .

Members online

No members online now.