American and English labradors???

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok, just when I think I know everything about Labs I find that there are two different types. Can you tell which type they are when they are young puppies? What are the differences of the two different types, if any? I mean is one type more calm than the other? Hmmm...I guess I have more researching to do. I haven't seen the mother or the father of my puppy but my husband has seen the mother. I showed him pictures of the two types and he said he couldn't tell because she was still carrying puppy weight (and plus she was a little overweight to begin with the breeder said).

candy722

I really think it depends on the dog's personality and how their parents are.

emma_pen

I didn't know there was 2 types of Labrador...other than 'working' and 'show' types the same as any other gundog breed. Working Labs & Show Labs can look very different, and I prefer the look of a working-type dog - stockier & slimmer. Make sure the breeder of your pup has had all necessary health tests done - you should see Hip Score Certificates for mum AND dad, and bear in mind that Labs are one of the most overbred breeds in the world. There are a lot of unscrupulous breeders out there.

Good luck, Ems

Three types of Labrador Retrievers exist. There's the English type, a square-faced, thick, heavy-set dog with a distinct otter tail; the American bench type, a taller, thinner-bodied dog with a longer face; and the field trial type, a dog bred for working ability alone that can be either type, or somewhere in-between.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
It is just TOO confusing, all the different types of Labs! Can you tell which type they are when they are puppies or do you have to wait until they are grown? Does it even matter what type they are? I was just curious because I heard that English are calmer than the American.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
yeah you're probably right. I didn't see the mother or father, maybe I should call and ask my husband's friend.

Desteny

Save a life: Rescue
I have tried to find info on this, too. A two friends of my dad bought a lab pup from the same litter. They were told one was an English Labrador and the other was the Field variety...

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I didn't care to ask what she was because I didn't realize there were different types of labs. Oh well, I can always ask the breeder. I think she's the American just because she does look like she is going to be taller and thinner. I guess I'll have to wait until she starts to grow up though (impatient sigh).

This is the limited bit I know about Labradors:

Basically smaller versions of the nfld (hence the name labrador), also called lesser St. John's dog or something like that.

Were taken to UK and bred with retrievers - hence labrador retriever. And that's pretty much the Lab's we've come to know and love.

As to the advent of the NFLD/original labradors, there's only speculation about how they came to being - and there's nothing definate. One theory is they're descendants (in part) of the now extinct black wolf (Newfoundlands version of the grey wolf) - however, you'll only ever find theories on that.

As I'm recalling this from reading I did a fair while ago, I'll gladly stand corrected should I be off :) .

Andrew

Some people believe labs come from Canada, while others believe Greenland, England or Newfoundland. I don't believe they come from England or Canada. DogFancy is featuring them for their June issue....but with so many different "options" they could be wrong, LOL.

spudy

are labs mean i herd that labs where verymean and they bit people all the time ur whern they are around other dogs is that ture?

spudy said:
are labs mean i herd that labs where verymean and they bit people all the time ur whern they are around other dogs is that ture?
Any breed of dog can bite. They've all got teeth, meant to rip flesh. But just because they can doesn't mean they will. Sure Labs have attacked people, but not all labs are untrained, as most all aggressive dogs are. My lab hasn't ever bitten a human. Ever. I think in the eight years she's lived with us, she may have growled around five times. And only when she was extremely annoyed or it's a play growl.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I have never heard of a mean lab in my life. I'm sure they are out there. But my husband got her because of they're exceptionally good temperment. He knew the mother a little, not the father but the father grew up with children of all different ages. My Hannah doesn't mind having her ears and tail messed with she's very tolerable of anything.

Most Labs are very tolerant, making them a very popular breed. We always joke that you could play tug-o-war with May's ears and she'd just sit there wagging her tail :).

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Yeah, Hannah's the same. Ofcourse she then thinks our other dogs like when she bites and tugs at their ears then too. She's very playful, more so with our other dogs than us. She just likes to cuddle and sleep with us.

My Canaan Dog mix, Colby, enjoys wrestling with Mayberry. I remember one time, she was attacking May, nipping at her, and May just sat there for a few minutes dealing with it. Finally the Lab got annoyed, and, with ease, pinned Colby to the ground and sat on her, LOL! Colby was squirming and yipping at her and May just sat there on top of her, sniffing the air. :D

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
That's funny. I'm hoping my Hannah will be like that too. It's too hard to tell what she will be like now she's WAY to hyper.

The only difference I have every noticed is that English-bred Labs tend to be heavier in the neck and shoulders and gain weight easily. American-bred Labs are more evenly proportioned. They're all Labs, though, so don't worry! :)

Members online