Who Gets The Dog?

Kbob

Hannah & Cole's Mom
Has anyone heard about this new upcoming TV reality show on Animal Planet called "Who Gets The Dog"? In a nutshell...they pull a dog out of a shelter and shuffle it around for 3 days with 3 families for 24 hours each. Somehow the dog is supposed to "choose" which family it wants to live with. The family members must not have been convicted of any crime including animal abuse and they must be willing to adopt and care for the dog involved.

Can you believe the craziness of this? I had already thought that reality TV has gone over the top but this is ridiculously over the top! Is this what it's come to for "entertainment purposes"? What happens after the show is over? What happens to the dog after the novelty wears off? Can you just imagine what kinds of behaviour problems this will cause in the dog?

This kind of thing would never happen with a foster child....why would it be called "entertainment" for something like this to happen to the dog.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Are you kidding me?! That's one of the lamest things I've ever heard.. Reality TV is ridiculous.

That dog will be stressed to the max... After coming out of a shelter, a very stressful environment, and dropped into 3 different houses in 3 days, all with different people and different environments... I fail to see the entertainment in there...

I would have looked for better from a network devoted to animals. If they want to make a 'quick buck' they should do a documentary on deer! (Sorry, that was a bad one . . . ;))

Brattina88

HaHaHa, good one Renee! :p
Animal Planet used to be my favorite channel, I watched it religously, it was all that was ever on at my house. With me trying to learn and know everything I can about animals, esp. dogs, the shows are driving me crazy. I'm one of those people who yell at the TV ("don't go in the basement you idiot!" lol), I believe its genetic ;) The day before yesterday I watched That's My Baby, and a Chow was having puppies. They drag it out - and when the first puppy comes out and the owner's cleaning it and rubbing it while the momma eats the afterbirth or whatever, and starts to choke. The dogs panicing, choking, I'm screaming at the TV, the owner is yelling at the dog to be gentle with the puppy. Finally the dog sort of convulses and then keels over. Not Breathing. Only then does the owner freak out, yelling at her daughter who hadn't got up from her chair the whole time to call the vet. She's screaming "OMG she died, she just died!" over and over, and then starts hitting the dogs side.
Anyone seen it?
I was horrified, and I still wonder why no one filming could put the camera or the mike or whatever stupid equipment down and help.
Well, because the owner was thumping the dogs side it became unlodged from the dogs airway and she started to breath. Still dazed the chow then began to have her puppies again...
They didn't realized she choked until way after, and then the owner wouldn't let the mom even lick her wet puppies or anything.
Where does animal planet find these 'breeders'? Most of them didn't seem like very good ones, and I for one don't think the channel should promote 'backyard breeding.'

RD

Are you dead yet?
Brattina: I noticed the same thing with that show.. I see people breeding mutts that they found on the street just because 'she's really cute'. I've seen a couple good breeders on there, that actually know what they're doing, but most just seem to be devoted owners who think 'it'd be fun' to have their dog or cat have babies. :rolleyes:

I hope you guys have registered your very valid points with the network, either by letter or by e-mail. It's very possible no one there has even thought about it from our perspective.

Animal Planet has been one of the things I've missed since being out here in the boondocks with no cable. Along with being stuck with molasses slow dial up internet! We can't even get DSL, ISDN or any of the other hook-ups! It makes me very sad that Animal Planet is airing such tripe. :(

And, yeah, I talk back to the TV too. I guess the comment I make most regularly is " . . . and these idiots are eventually going to breed!" We watch too many news programs . . . ;)

RD

Are you dead yet?
" . . . and these idiots are eventually going to breed!" ROFLMAO

Actually I haven't written to Animal Planet about that show.. I probably should before school starts and I forget all about it.

They need to let the animals run the network for awhile. I think they would do a better job :)

No dsl :eek:
I would be doomed...

Chazhound

Debi

Ok...just a little different perspective here...what IF the producers screened families very carefully.........found that they really, really wanted a pup and were going to get one from the rescue....what if this family were sincere. Yes...there might be some jitters from the pup being passed around. BUT...if these families were truly sincere...and the pup held a bond with just one and found a home..........wouldn't that be something good?? Think about it...the pup is in rescue anyway.........what harm could there be IF....IF...IF....it did find a home where it would be welcomed and loved?? OK....tacky on TV....but still it could be something ok. Just a thought. I figure pups in rescue don't have much of a chance anyway....anything might be a hope.

One would hope that the impetus behind a show like this would be to create interest in adopting a shelter dog, but yeesh, the lack of responsibility in the way it's being done. Wouldn't it be better to show three different families, adopting three different dogs from three different shelters or rescues and follow their progress?

Why does even the adoption of a family pet have to devolve into a competition?

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
I quit watching Animal Planet along time ago they make me so darn made I just want to climb in the tv and choke the people on the shows I will never forget one of the episodes on thats my baby where the people were breeding their cats they had gotten from the animal shelter (and they were suppose to be nerutered) because they wanted their children to experience it what idiots:( I think this channel is utterly ridiculous anymore and as for this new show what are they thinking?????

Brattina88

I seriously used to watch Animal Planet religously, but now, maybe because I've taken more knowledge in about animals, or because I've watched it So much everything on there just frustrates me. I only occasionally watch Breed All About It (which I find sometimes judgmental and unfair to certain breeds, but at the sametime informative and interesting :confused: ) or Animal Precenct. I Can't watch any of the Animal Cops because they immeadiatly put down the Pits regardless of temperment, Adoption Tales, any of those crazy shoes. I know nobodys perfect, but sometimes I think the match (of dogs w/the ppl) is very wrong.
Basically, exept for Law and Order Specail Victims Unit (which I do watch religously :eek: ) I don't watch much TV. I've made my life my own animal planet that revolves around *guess who* and the kids at the day care :D

dawnell

I personally love the Animal Planet network. I've watched the, "Who gets the Dog", show three or four times now and have found nothing wrong with it. There is a lot of discussion about the basics of training, what to do and what not to do, what to expect from adopting a new dog, etc. I think it's very informative and gets people more interested in adopting from a pound instead of buying from a breeder or *gasp* a pet store.

My true heros in life are the folks on the Animal Cops show. I watch it an cringe but am pleased that there is this kind of exposure of what's going on all around us.

And what about Emergency Vets? C'mon guys...

Rose's Gal

I watch Animal Planet whenever I can. I don't care for some of the shows they have going, but I do like the dog shows, the Animal Miracles, Emergancy Vets, Animal Cops, Animal Precient(sp?), and stuff like that. I do NOT care for the 'That's my baby' show, and I've never seen the "Who gets the Dog". At first glance, it seems like a very bad show that would just confuse the dog to no end, but I've never seen it so I can't judge.

becca_4321

I watch who gets the dog, most the time its not that bad. They mainly are watching the people, how well they interact with the dog. Watch for any kind of warning signs that says maybe this isnt the right person for this dog. Most of the dogs seem to take their adventures well, but I've seen a couple dogs now that act scared and unsure of what is going on. Those are sad to watch.

joce

I thought it would be horrible but I watched it and while it was sad it was not as bad as I expected. I thought the one evaluater lady was a bit nuts though! I think it is good because there are people that don't know you can get a good dog at a shelter and if they see people trying hard to get one maybe it will make them think about it.

I've started to hate most of the animal cop shows though. The new york is ok but al the other ones seem to automatically put pits down and make some really dumb comments.

But if anyone saw the one with the lady adopting the blind horse the lady that got them is like five houses down the street from me. I thought some of the stuff they did on there was pretty dumb and sometimes there pasture has literally 30 horses in it so I'm not sure if they were the best people for that. Some times there isn't a single one out though so I'm clueless as to where they go.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I hate this show and here's a big reason why. Remember Stella the staffie cross that was adopted out on that show? Check this out.

A follow-up on Stella:

Quote:
In her episode, Stella, a Pointer-Greyhound-Stratfordshire Terrier mix, chose Arsineh, Craig and their dog Charlie as her perfect family. All was well until a trip to the dog park, where park goers mislabeled her a vicious pit bull. While nothing could be farther from the truth about Stella's breeding or personality, the stereotype stuck and her new family decided not to take the chance. The reality is, not all pet adoptions are a match made in pooch heaven. So, a member of the Who Gets the Dog? crew, with his own animal menagerie, chose Stella instead. Read her happily-ever-after story, as told by her new owner, Ted.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
I feel bad...I liked the show but I mainly watched it for the dogs and that animal behaviorist woman; I learn a lot from her and she doesn't look so bad either ;) .

Members online