Some Pit Education

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

savethebulliedbreeds

Dr2Little. I get your point, I really do. I don't think that the dogs are the problem...its the humans that are the problem. So, instead of changing the dog, lets change the humans. I think there would be much more value in changing the way the bad humans view these dogs rather than changing the dogs. There is nothing wrong with the dogs...its the humans that need to have traits bred out of them lol.

Because that's not the trait being exploited! Open your eyes! It's the looks of the dog & the name that's being exploited!

Yes, that is part of the reason but so is the DA aspect. To deny that is just silly. Just because you know about this breed doesn't mean that Joe Blow does. They will always fall into the wrong hands. I'm all for education but I'm also a realist.

And saying that it won't is pure speculation on your part. At least I'm not encouraging more back yard breeding & peddling to take place just to try & breed out DA.
WTH - now I'm encouraging BYBing...what next????:mad:

Miakoda

Can't handle them? Doberkim, is this really the arguement. Are 100's sitting on death row because people can't handle them or because IDIOTs get ahold of them and often use their HUMAN created traits to make them suffer.
I used to live in Hammond, LA which is still a very rural area complete with dairy farms, beef farms, & whatnot. And I used to volunteer at AC to help eval dogs, bathe dogs, walk dogs, & EUTHANIZE dogs. And I can promise you that the majority of the dogs in shelters are there b/c human don't research a dog breed before getting one & then get frustrated when the dog doesn't act how the owner expected. Border Collies, Australian Shepherds, & Australian Cattle Dogs are a dime a dozen there b/c people got them after hearing how good they are with kids & b/c they are so pretty & they were nowhere near prepared to deal with the strong herding instincts which led the dogs to roam, chase children, & run other people's livestock (which is a HUGE no-no in rural farm areas). We also saw a lot of GSDs & even 3 Malinois that someone paid a lot of money for & they were turned over b/c of their wariness to strangers & guarding habits & the owners weren't prepared for that. They wanted a guardian breed that would allow strangers onto their home & into their home with no problem. We even had several EB's turned over b/c people weren't prepared to deal with the health problems. And terriers? Geeze. "The dog has too much energy", "He's eating my plants & diggin up my garden", "He's chasing my chickens", "He's chewing up all my stuff". These are the majority of the cases that we saw. Of course there were animal cruelty cases, but that's not even close to being the major reason why dogs end up in shelters. Go work in one & see.

i am sorry, but there is no such thing as a bait dog. the media and HSUS made that word up.. dogs either fight and live, or fight and die..
Ild have to dig up the article if I can. There is an alleged dog fighting ring just north of here in Big Lake that the Troopers beleave have been stealing dogs as bait dogs. The bait dogs was a quote from the Trooper spokesman, it was in relation to 3 Min Pins stolen in the Big Lake area. If there was an alleged dog fighting ring in Anchorage it would have been found as that is the states largest population center, out in Big Lake with all its other crime, a ring would be a low priority.

now i own a pitbull mix, and he lives with 2 other dogs, and various foster pups when i have them .. he looks like a pitbull, acts like one, and i treat him like a pitbull. i never leave him alone with my other 2 dogs, and he is properly supervised when with my other 2 dogs.. i have had him from 2 months old, he is now 4 years old. i follow the responsible pitbull ownership rules, and am a responsible owner. Rufus attended a year and a half of dog obedience classes from the time he was 2 months old, 3 times a week for that time every week.. i then got him his CGC title (before i was an evaluator) and then his therapy dog title, and then his www.atts.org title.. while he is a mix, i still am careful as he does have some pitbull heritage in him
Its likely my Verde is a pit mix, I wasnt very watchfull her first hour here and one of the boys bit her breaking her skin. I havent had a repeat of that incident, even though its only been 11 days, and dont expect another one with her temperment.

Dr2Little. I get your point, I really do. I don't think that the dogs are the problem...its the humans that are the problem. So, instead of changing the dog, lets change the humans. I think there would be much more value in changing the way the bad humans view these dogs rather than changing the dogs. There is nothing wrong with the dogs...its the humans that need to have traits bred out of them lol.
How's that working so far? I don't mean to be P!ssy but really, if humanity has proved anything it's that it is cruel and INHUMANE. "Control the humans" is why the shelters are busting at the seams with pits on death row.

I wholeheartedly believe that changing the humans is the ideal answer, just proving to be a romantic idea at best.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
julie, i already indicated in a previous post. i do not agree with keeping ANY animal outside. i do not agree with keeping a dog locked in a yard, i do not agree with keeping a dog out in a kennel, and no, i wouldnt agree with keeping a dog outside on a chain - purely because ANY outside time that is unsupervised is not something i personally find safe.

i thought 100's were sitting on death row in shelters across the nation because we humans screwed up and keep breeding dogs nonstop, because we think tend to confuse the physical capabillity TO reproduce, as some bizarre RIGHT to reproduce.

I used to live in Hammond, LA which is still a very rural area complete with dairy farms, beef farms, & whatnot. And I used to volunteer at AC to help eval dogs, bathe dogs, walk dogs, & EUTHANIZE dogs. And I can promise you that the majority of the dogs in shelters are there b/c human don't research a dog breed before getting one & then get frustrated when the dog doesn't act how the owner expected. Border Collies, Australian Shepherds, & Australian Cattle Dogs are a dime a dozen there b/c people got them after hearing how good they are with kids & b/c they are so pretty & they were nowhere near prepared to deal with the strong herding instincts which led the dogs to roam, chase children, & run other people's livestock (which is a HUGE no-no in rural farm areas). We also saw a lot of GSDs & even 3 Malinois that someone paid a lot of money for & they were turned over b/c of their wariness to strangers & guarding habits & the owners weren't prepared for that. They wanted a guardian breed that would allow strangers onto their home & into their home with no problem. We even had several EB's turned over b/c people weren't prepared to deal with the health problems. And terriers? Geeze. "The dog has too much energy", "He's eating my plants & diggin up my garden", "He's chasing my chickens", "He's chewing up all my stuff". These are the majority of the cases that we saw. Of course there were animal cruelty cases, but that's not even close to being the major reason why dogs end up in shelters. Go work in one & see.
Hmmmm, this is what I've been doing for 20+ years..

Again, yes it's the humans. Why do you keep missing that in my posts?:confused:

julie, i already indicated in a previous post. i do not agree with keeping ANY animal outside. i do not agree with keeping a dog locked in a yard, i do not agree with keeping a dog out in a kennel, and no, i wouldnt agree with keeping a dog outside on a chain - purely because ANY outside time that is unsupervised is not something i personally find safe.

i thought 100's were sitting on death row in shelters across the nation because we humans screwed up and keep breeding dogs nonstop, because we think tend to confuse the physical capabillity TO reproduce, as some bizarre RIGHT to reproduce.
I'm referring to pits. They're flowing into Calgary from the states in droves, but I'm sure you know that.:rolleyes:

doberkim

Naturally Natural
im confused - so you are using the insanity of michael bryant as to a reason why we need to change the breed? because some politician got insane BSL passed, so we need to lessen the DA? and as if that DA is somehow related to human aggression?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Man, this thread just exploded...

Don't really have anything constructive to add, besides that I wish it were mandatory for people to fill out a breed selector and then have a good trainer evaluate them and any potential dog they choose...so that idiot people would quit getting Goldens because they're so freaking adorable as pups, but can't handle the energy, mouthing and hair that comes as they grow up, would quit getting APBT's because of the DA and "macho" aspects and would quit getting herding dogs because of looks.

Return to your reguarly schedualed program.

im confused - so you are using the insanity of michael bryant as to a reason why we need to change the breed? because some politician got insane BSL passed, so we need to lessen the DA? and as if that DA is somehow related to human aggression?
WHAT:confused: :confused: Have you ever read even one of my posts, from this thread or any other? Who exactly do you think I am?:rolleyes:

Miakoda

Again, yes it's the humans. Why do you keep missing that in my posts?
I don't know. Maybe I'm just confused as to why if we all know it's a human problem, then why the emphasis on changing the dogs? IMO, it doesn't make sense. And there's already a shift beginning in the thugs breed of choice. Bandogs, Presa Canarios, & Cane Corsos are gaining in popularity amongst the same thug crowd that pushed the "pit bull" into the spotlight. And yet, thanks to the media, they are all labeled as "pit bulls" so who really knows what the ratio is of true "pit bull" breeds to mixed breeds/other purebreds being labled as "pit bulls" really is. Hell, I get more "Hey girl, that's a nice pit" comments when I'm out with my OEB or with the Ca da Bous than I do when I'm walking one of my APBTs. Since all my APBTs range in weight from 34lbs to 55lbs, most people think I have mixed breeds. So this just this adds to the belief that it's the looks of the dog, the intimidation factor, that is the real driving force behind thugs/byb/peddlers with "pit bulls" than dog aggression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.