Cgc

Citrus007

How many of your dogs are cgc certified, or the equivalent for you area? I want to get Nike certified once I train her and use her as a service dog though she is kind of hard to train- doesnt seem to understand.

Doberluv

My Doberman has his CGC.

How are you training her? What specifically do you try that you see that she doesn't understand? I think you can iron out the glitches if we know more detail...what have you tried to teach her and how exactly you have gone about it.

You can go on the AKC website and look for the CGC test and it will tell you what all she needs to learn and be able to tolerate and do. But first she needs her basic obedience.

Let us know.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I am working with my dog to become certified too! I am hoping to take the test maybe some time this fall or winter. Oh I posted a post called Canine Good Citizen Test and Riot gave me a link to a post that was VERY helpful it will tell you what they want you to be able to do with your dog, it is in the general dog chat part of this forum!

DanL

I'll probably take the test w/ Gunnar again. At 9 months, he passed 8 of the 10 tests, after a long training class. He was so ready to go home but we tested him anyway. He barked at the passing dog (fail) and started to whine at 2:45 into the 3 minute out of sight test. He'd most likely pass it now.

Citrus007

Thats cool Dan, well not that he failed but that he will likely pass.
I am using the book The power of Positive Dog training, Nike just seems to lose attention after a few minutes. She will lay down or want her belly rubbed. I don't do it so I wait but she doesn't get up and I try to coax her.
Also on the other thread you asked about my clicking noise, it is pretty distinctive, at first I would just click and treat and I did it for quite awhile then I worked on her name but she never completely got the hang of it. I kind of jumped arond though I shouldn't have but my mom wanted her to sit and walk nicely so I tried that, she knows sit pretty well but she just doesn't pay attention to much else.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Quigley has his CGC.

Keep in mind though that how well your dog scores depends a lot on the CGC evaluator as well. Some are far stricter than others, there is a lot more leeway than for example in obedience trials. :)

elegy

overdogged
luce has passed her cgc twice.

i haven't gotten my act together and had mushroom tested yet.

My dogs have their CGC. The hardest part for my collies is always the 3 minutes away from me. They're such babies! :) I've had to go back and retest for that one.

BostonBanker

I found out very last-minute about some testing going on near me last night, and decided to go watch,not test, as I had never seen the actual test before. I was actually disappointed I didn't bring Meg! I think she would have passed. I was mostly concerned about the leash-walking, as she is almost never on a leash. However they weren't as strict as I expected them to be - basically, if the dog didn't pull when you stopped, they passed them.

I'll definitely test her the next time!

cowgurl6254

Herding dogs rock!!!
Andy will be tested when he is a year old. I want to get him certified so I can move on to use him as a therapy dog :)

DanL

cowgurl6254 said:
Andy will be tested when he is a year old. I want to get him certified so I can move on to use him as a therapy dog :)
I don't think they have to have a CGC before they can become certified as a TD. The tests are very similar, just with some other stuff thrown in for the TD (food on the floor, the strange person, objects like crutches or wheelchairs).

When we were doing our one class, it was at a hospital for the chronically ill, so we were exposed to all kinds of people with disabilities. A good dog will take it all in stride. Our trainer was pushing Gunnar and I do do therapy work because he was so calm around everyone, and they all loved him. We decided not to because he didn't seem happy with the sit around and wait aspect of it. Plus for me, it was a bit depressing. I didn't realize how starved for companionship some of these people are- they were happy to have anyone to talk to. Not that I didn't enjoy their company or making them feel better, but the whole environment was a little depressing for me. That sort of work is not for everyone.

Members online

No members online now.