Pepper sprayed dogs...

mom2two

Yesterday my two dogs and I were sitting outside in our yard, the are tethered and on leashes at all times, were laying by the bushes in our yard and this yucky woman pepper sprayed both of my dogs. They weren't even barking or anything!

I am totally shook up about this, if my own yard is not safe for my dogs what is?!?!?! I live in a condo complex, and I was on the phone right away to tell them of what happened, and they basically acted like my "kids" didn't matter.

Has anyone else had any problems like this happen to them? Am I totally crazy for not being able to get past this? I am really angry and want something done but I do not know what I should do. I did notify the police, and again it was not a priority, more of a bother to them.

Beth :eek:

Beth, you make sure there is a report filed with the police.

Consider having your attorney (yes, everyone should have a family attorney!) write a letter of protest to the condo management. You're creating a paper trail and memorializing the event. This is very important.

If you had to take your dogs to the vet, attach a copy of the vet bill to the letter, demanding payment, from your attorney to the (I can't put the words I'm thinking in this forum!) neighbor who sprayed your dogs, with a copy to the condo management.

And, sorry to say, from now on you're going to have to keep an eagle eye on your dogs at all times. Once someone has done something like that, you can be sure they're going to try to do something much worse and more permanent.

One of the reasons you have an attorney create the paper trail is to put people of this ilk on the alert that they will be held liable and responsible for their actions. That tends to make them stop and think before they try things. Think of your attorney as your own personal guard dog on steroids.

mom2two

Hi Renee

My brother in law is the captain of the Baraboo WI police and he filed the report. The worst part is I do not think this lady lives in the condos. I have a phone call out to an attorney that my brother in law knows and who has handled animal protection incidents before.

You are so right, I am right with them everywhere, even closer than before. I was totally unable to sleep hardly at all last night, every move they made I was up and ready to fight. (Of course they did not nor do not want to leave my side now at all. They keep their eyes on either myself or my husband at all times.) I bought them special treats tonight and a set of toys, to let them know it is ok. They were pretty shooken up about it, but forgot relatively quickly. I haven't! I am steaming mad. How dare this toxic person do this!!!

Thank you for telling me that I am not a terrible mother to my pups. I also went to all the dog and pet owners I know in the complex what happened, everyone I talked to when I gave the description of the woman has mentioned they do not recognize who I am describing as a condo person. We have a bike path that runs through our complex and it is open for anyone to come through....which for what we pay for fees it shoule be gated. Maybe that should be addressed by the attorney! The other thing is I asked that all the people I told tell all their friends even if they do not live here in the complex. The more people are aware, hopefully the less this will happen.

You are always a great help. I know I keep telling you this, but Renee honestly without someone to be as knowledgeable as you are, I would be lost!
So again thank you! I appreciate the fact that you are here and answered so quickly.

Beth

Definitely, definitely see about having the condo association or management post the bike trail as private property. That way you have a trespassing charge against the person who did this is she reappears. (I didn't spent 10 years as a paralegal doing criminal defense work without figuring out a few things - haha!)

Check out your state's animal cruelty laws, too. Here in Tennessee we've finally got a law in place that enables felony charges to be brought in some cases of animal cruelty.

I'm glad I can be of help. Just think what a world we'd live in if everyone reached out to help each other instead of acting selfishly!

I had something like that happen to me also. I was out in front of my house and my dogs were tied up in the garage. I stepped in for a second to answer the phone when a man walked up my driveway for no reason and walked into my garage. I guess my golden retriever jumped on him and he pepper sprayed my dog. I heard a loud yelp and I ran out to find the man hitting my golden retriever while my miniature dachshund was barking furiously. I am very quick tempered and I snapped and let this guy know how I felt with my fists. He also got some of that pepper spray on me and THAT STUFF BURNS! (I know this is the wrong way to settle a dispute but when it comes to animal cruelty, especially when its MY animals, i snap. Why hit an animal that doesn't even know what it did wrong.) Luckily no charges were filed againts me but stuff like this really makes me mad. :mad:

What do you mean, "luckily no charges were filed against you?" He was in YOUR garage, uninvited. He was trespassing, he assaulted and injured your dog - damaging your property as well as commiting cruelty, and he assaulted you! Assault is a felony. Everywhere. If you were a under 18 at the time he also assaulted a minor, which brings stiffer penalties.

I hope you beat the living #&*$ out of him . . . and I'm the most anti-violent redhead that's ever lived.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I'd have been the first to spray that pepper spray right in those people's faces, and asked them how THEY liked it. But, then I'd probably be arrested.

Luckily I've never had my dogs maced, but someone tried to poison my Lab/Chow X because she always growled at people walking by our fence. :mad:

BabyBoo

That is terrible! I'm sorry that your dogs had to encounter such a horrible thing for no reason.

Debi

WOW...this is just bizarre!! I can't imagine someone doing something to my dogs when they were in my own yard....BUT...the idea that someone walked right into your garage, Shredhead, and did what they did.......I would have totally freaked out!!! I agree...hope you got some good hits in. I wouldn't worry about being charged if the person was on my property and I gave them my worst. The nerve of some people just amazes me. I know I'd be spitting nails about the pepper spray incident, too. :mad:

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
I can not believe the nerve of some people. I've never had anyone try to hurt my dogs, but I do have to defend my pit bull almost every day. I keep running into people who say pit bulls are so mean and vicious. Can you believe some people actually say that pit bulls should be illegal to have as pets? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I always keep a close eye on my babies. If someone would have pepper sprayed my dogs or hit them, I would have beat the crap out of them. I just can't handle that. I have no tolerance for people like that.

Some people just don't like dogs... it is sad but true.
I got a great laugh reading Shredheads post, I would be throwing punches too!
I can just see it..... :)

Chazhound

Well I'm only 16 and I don't know how our law works. Normally when I hear about fights at school, someone goes to jail or something. I would have pressed charges but I didn't want to risk myself getting in trouble. It also looks suspicious when I beat up a guy around 10 years older than me.

pitbulliest

I have a pit bull too ashmore and the things I hear omigoodness... I was out with my dog in a park and a woman comes up to me (mind you this old hag works in a HUMANE SOCIETY!) and tells me that I should not be taking my pit bull out in public, that these dogs should be banned and should not exist at all. I tried to reason with her and educate her on the breed in a friendly and rational manner, but she jumped out at me saying that she has worked with these dogs and how evil they are?! Can you imagine someone working at a humane society with that kind of breed discrimination and attitude? Nice to know the people that are supposed to be spreading good words and positive images of discriminated breeds are actually contributing to the false media stereotypes and other problems! She should be fired from that place...

Isn't it the other way around? The pitbulls she's handled haven't been outside socializing so they're agressive. Socialize them and they're just as friendly as any other dog.

If someone came up and said something like that to my dog than I'd probably argue with him till he finally agreed with me.

mom2two

RE pepper spraying of dogs

Hi tl ashmore,

I want to say that I feel bad that because of the labeling you get because you have a pitbull. It really truthfully is how those dogs are raised, as in any dog for that matter. I have come across many of rotties and pitbulls with my walking experience, and I also note when people tell you what type of dog they have sometimes they are a little quietter when mentioning those two types. I always ask to pet them, surprised looks on many of the owners faces. They are great dogs! You give your pups a huge pet for me, it is absolutely awful how some people are because of ignorance!

Beth :)

RD

Are you dead yet?
Pitbulls get such a bad rap because of the ignorant and irresponsible (STUPID) people who buy/adopt them and expect a golden retriever. Pits, when socialized, are fabulous dogs, but like any other dog, they'll become aggressive if they aren't exposed to people, dogs, and various surroundings and situations... It's infuriating that someone will harm a dog that did nothing to them, just because they're afraid of the breed.

I'm only 14, so I don't have much say in the laws, and not many people I meet listen to me because of my age, but if I could just get them to, they'd stop stereotyping breeds...

EDIT: And pitbulliest, people like that woman have no place working at humane societies, where the belief is "Every dog deserves a chance".

pitbulliest

Yeah I definately agree with you on that one. Thanks for the support everyone :) its good to know you guys know more about pit bulls then alot of the general public :(

shredhead (DOG LOVER) said:
Well I'm only 16 and I don't know how our law works. Normally when I hear about fights at school, someone goes to jail or something. I would have pressed charges but I didn't want to risk myself getting in trouble. It also looks suspicious when I beat up a guy around 10 years older than me.
Shredhead, your poor dogs just seem to be the focus of idiots, don't they? You acted reasonably and shouldn't have had to fear any reprisals from the legal system. This person not only was trespassing and assaulted your dogs, but it was reasonable to assume that this person meant physical harm to you or he wouldn't have disabled your dogs.

In most places, I believe the statute of limitations on an assault is probably a year. You'd have to check; the easiest way is by speaking to someone in the district attorney's office. It's a lot more serious when an adult assaults a minor, too. Of course, you have to bear in mind the prejudices and power structure of the place you live. Was this guy by any chance related to the person who was trying to force you to get rid of your dogs?

I'd love to have seen you give that jerk a pounding!

Members online

No members online now.