Driver License Restrictions?

Tinaweena

Here in Canada we have a graduated licensing now.
Written test for G1 (like your learners)= No driving on highways, no driving after 11pm, must have a sober pasenger in the front that has had their full license for 5 years.
1 year later you can get your...
Road test for G2= 0 blood alcohol, all passengers must be wearing their seatbelts or YOU the driver is held responsible, no driving in other contries.
Then finally 18 months after that you can take your road test to get your
G !!! Full license privledges.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
blue said:
Personal resposability saves lives, not laws. Laws make more Darwin Awards in most cases.
Could not agree any more.

Spot on.

Law after law after law.

Why don't they just make a law saying we cannot leave our homes, except via a designated shuttle ferrying us to and from our place of work.

We can only wear government issue clothes, so noone will be bullied or teased. There will be no accidents with kids swallowing buttons that way too (need to cover our backs).

We can have governement issue food delivered to our houses (which of course, will be governement issue and have no sharp corners in them).

How about rules as to what we can watch on TV (if I see something too extreme, I might REBEL, (or kill someone - violence on tv COULD warp my mind).

And how about restricting the age we are born? I mean - 9 months is far young in my opinion - to many risks and accidents there. We could in fact be raised in test tubes, and manufactured to fit a certain job? Then there will be no unemployment either?!

Oh and all pets will be banned - too much risk of injury, young people becoming allergic, bites..

Oh what a wonderful perfect world it will be. We will all rejoice at the initiative and wiseness of our glorious government. A true utopia for us all to revel in.

Ok. So maybe I got carried away. But you (hopefully) see my point.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Oh, and you know I like quoting my Bill Hicks, so he's another one for you:

"Go back to bed, America. Your government has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control again. Here. Here's American Gladiators. Watch this, shut up. Go back to bed, America. Here is American Gladiators. Here is 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary retards bang their [swear removed] skulls together and congratulate you on living in the land of freedom. Here you go, America! You are free to do what we tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!"
Edit - this is a quote from an american about america, but could easily be me saying it about the UK. Before anyone gets on the country defensive - it is the PRINCIPLE I am trying to get across ;)

bubbatd

As to " OLD" people over 70 not driving ....that would put me and my family into a pretty pickle !! I got mine renewed this year at 73 and won't need a new one until 2012 !!! This I don't agree with ! I feel we should have driving tests .... While I was waiting my turn , I saw 3 elderly brought in by their caregivers...walkers, cane and wheelchairs. My cousin lives in Florida...86 and testing elderly drivers !

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
Well, when you show me responsible individuals that take the time to teach their kids to drive right or do research to find a good driving school, or both...then sure, leave it up to them to act responsible.

As long as that is not going to happen...and how, sorry but the "soccer mom" driving her minivan while talking on the phone or the daddy who doesn't even know half of the rules...I doubt they will teach their kids how to drive well.
I can go to get milk and see insecure people in their cars, or people who just got used to their "own" rules.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Parents should not teach their kids how to drive. Any bad driving habits the parents has, the child will learn. and there are plenty of parents out there with bad driving habits.

the child should be taught by a professional. it is up to the parents to teach responsibility but I do not think they should be involved in teaching them to drive.

bubbatd

Teenage + cell phone + others in car = disaster ready to happen. Too much distraction.

I didnt take drivers ed till I was 18 and I was pretty much lit through the whole course. I remember sitting there watching the videos and listening to the coach droan on and on about rules that all I would think about was getting out of there. Im not sure if extended courses would really help.. what makes a good driver is experience and even the experience drivers can get squirelly on the road.

bubbatd said:
Teenage + cell phone + others in car
= disaster ready to happen. Too much distraction.
I agree. I cant even talk on my cell while driving.. Im all over the place.

I like the bumper sticker that says "SHUT UP AND DRIVE" :D

sparks19 said:
Parents should not teach their kids how to drive. Any bad driving habits the parents has, the child will learn. and there are plenty of parents out there with bad driving habits.

the child should be taught by a professional. it is up to the parents to teach responsibility but I do not think they should be involved in teaching them to drive.
So where would this huge amount of driving teachers come from? Would the pool of driving instructors come from the general public? Or some divine source with more abilities than our mindless parents? How would we weed out any bad habits that the instructor may have? How can parents teach responsibility when they arent responsible enough themselves to drive a car?

I am amazed at how many people I come into contact with, who were taught by professionals up through highschool level that cant figure out how to come up with the formula in their heads for finding the surface area of a cylinder, if an item that displaces 500 cubic feet of water weighing 17,000 lbs will sink or float, the real hill that was in the battle of Bunker hill or how to avoid a run on sentence! We were all taught this stuff by professionals but did we learn it? Do we practice it? In all honesty my dad and my jobs have taught me much more math than paid instructors. I learned way more history through google than paid instructors. My dad taught me how to drive, it was my choice to drive like an idiot and ignore all of the safe driving lessons.

Perhaps we should exempt people from paying taxes if we have them on restrictions. You pay no income taxes if you dont have the right to vote, the right to drive, the right to drink, the right to own firearms ....ect, ect.

Buckshot said:
So where would this huge amount of driving teachers come from? Would the pool of driving instructors come from the general public? Or some divine source with more abilities than our mindless parents? How would we weed out any bad habits that the instructor may have? How can parents teach responsibility when they arent responsible enough themselves to drive a car?

I am amazed at how many people I come into contact with, who were taught by professionals up through highschool level that cant figure out how to come up with the formula in their heads for finding the surface area of a cylinder, if an item that displaces 500 cubic feet of water weighing 17,000 lbs will sink or float, the real hill that was in the battle of Bunker hill or how to avoid a run on sentence! We were all taught this stuff by professionals but did we learn it? Do we practice it? In all honesty my dad and my jobs have taught me much more math than paid instructors. I learned way more history through google than paid instructors. My dad taught me how to drive, it was my choice to drive like an idiot and ignore all of the safe driving lessons.

Perhaps we should exempt people from paying taxes if we have them on restrictions. You pay no income taxes if you dont have the right to vote, the right to drive, the right to drink, the right to own firearms ....ect, ect.
You might be onto something there, the learning and restrictions.

I learned the elecric trade on the job, any apprentice I got from a school or training program I had to start from scratch and show them how its done in the real world.

Any time somebody tells me to drive safe I tell them its not me they have to worry about its all the a$$hat drivers out there, and Anchorage has more then its fair share.

The real problem as I see it the ones that drive in an unsafe manner are ussually the ones that survive multi vehicle collisions.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
Well, I can speak for Germany. We have driving schools and they are pretty tough. You have to go through an extensive theoretical test....take an x number of classes (I think 16 or 17)...so we don't need signs on the road like "Bridge freezes before street"...that is something you are supposed to know. And then take an extensive practical test and more than 20 hours of driving with a certified instructor. Trust me, after that you know you're stuff.

Parents teaching their kids is just a bad idea, I agree with Sparks.

EDIT: Yes, you have to pay and it is expensive. I think I paid at least 2 Grand to get my license in Germany. Every cent was worth it.

Jules said:
Well, I can speak for Germany. We have driving schools and they are pretty tough. You have to go through an extensive theoretical test....take an x number of classes (I think 16 or 17)...so we don't need signs on the road like "Bridge freezes before street"...that is something you are supposed to know. And then take an extensive practical test and more than 20 hours of driving with a certified instructor. Trust me, after that you know you're stuff.

Parents teaching their kids is just a bad idea, I agree with Sparks.
When I was stationed in Germany I got my drivers license and it was much more extensive than our tests. The highways are set up better with people being better informed about the rules of the road. That being said we arent germany or england or france. I, being an American who would have been proud to shoot the british who tried to enforce their rules upon us think we should quit trying to become europe. They even started putting in traffic circles out here:rolleyes: . Traffic circles in europe are great, they make direction changes smooth and fluid, but when designed by an american who has never been to europe, builds them way too tight for tractor trailers and expects americans to safely navigate them it is folly.

When I was 16 I had to drive to get to work. With the laws in effect I would have violated them, paid my fines and would the world be a better place? No, It would not be one tiny bit different. Maybe your parents lack the skills and responsibility to teach you but mine didnt. I trust my circle of friends who are parents, much more than I trust a teacher that I dont know. It shouldnt require the government to pull peoples heads out of their ass.

Sheka

I have a mercedes convertible, and i love it. Its pretty :) DONT MAKE RESTRICTIONS ON WHAT TYPE OF CAR WE cAN GET! People that speed are gonna do it in a mustand or in a honda civic.. makes no diffrence. I personally think old people drive WAYY to slow, on th way to school im always stuck behind them and im always late, or they start moving 5minutes after the light turns green. SEE! dont u hate being grouped like that! not all teens are bad drivers, not all of them get into accidents. IM 15 AND I DRIVE! lol welcome to miami. Putting more laws on is just gonna get teens pissed and we are just gonna find a way around them, all it takes is parents teaching their kids how to drive and teens being responsible. I know alot of people who talk on the phone while in the car, so i got the bluetooth wireless headset so i can talk AND Drive.

Members online

No members online now.