Help me pick a dog breed! Please!

Not to mention, if the dog is going to be alone for 6 hours during the day, you're never going to have the time to housetrain it.

Really, at this point in your life, and just going by the description of what you are looking for in a pet, a cat would be a much better choice.

sharpeilover

Dogs rule humans drool
u must really want and must care for any dog, pls b sure that a dog is really wat u want, as yr attitude stinks. ppl on ere r helping u and u throw that in their faces, i would tell u where to go, but if u get a dog we all want to ensure it is right for u and most important it is cared for. Leaving a young puppy that has just being taken away from its mother is going to really scare the dog, it will wee and poo, chew anything so training will b needed straight away, But how can u do this if yr going to be away for 6 hours a day?

First of all, DO NOT buy a teacup, tiny toy, doodle or poo breed. These all come from puppy mills where dogs are abused, neglected, and brutally killed once they can no longer produce puppies. Never ever buy a dog out of the newspaper, or from a pet store. EVER.

Find a few breeds you are interested in--that fit your lifestyle--and research them as much as possible. I don't recommend you get a puppy--there's no way you'll be able to housetrain it with you being gone six hours a day. There's no way you'd be able to teach it anything. Please reconsider getting a dog.

Welcome to the boards.

Fandogg

response

If I were you I'd go with a Shih Tzu. I personally have 2 of my own and they fit every one of the above criteria to a T. They don't bark much at all really, barely ever hear a peep out of them despite what some say. Shih Tzu's are GREAT dogs! Unfortunetly I'm a guy and you know I'd rather have something a little more masculine but what are you gonna do right?

I was just describing this thread to Charley and he came up with exactly what I was thinking . . . a small dog that doesn't yap, is easy to house train, likes to snuggle up and be petted, likes to play . . . sounds like a Pitbull to me!

They really should call them American Petbull Terriers.

It hasn't been mentioned that you CAN'T get a puppy from a reputable breeder for $500. If they're charging less than that, there's something wrong.

And you can trust me on this: if you get a puppy and leave him alone for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, you will have a maladjusted monster on your hands in a year. The only people I recommend puppies to are people who are home 20 hours a day, whether they're home in shifts or one is home all the time. I don't want to discourage you from getting a dog. But if you go with your current plan, you will be very unhappy with your dog's behavior and will probably end up giving him away before long. Puppies are very hard work. They're just like babies, if not more difficult! They're cute and sweet, but please remember that when you have a puppy you are responsible for another life; a thinking, feeling, emotional animal. Not a toy that turns on when you want to play with it and off when you're done. And I recently read a national survey of vets about the cost of raising puppies: vet care alone for a puppy in the first year averages $1100!! Adult dogs were at an average of $450. Remember, that doesn't include the costs of training (my basic obedience program is around $300, and I'm pretty inexpensive), food, toys, bedding, grooming, day care ($20-$50 a day), or dog walkers, which would all be essential in your situation.

I hope I didn't offend you, these are just my opinions. But I would not get a puppy if I were you.

bubbatd

Isn't sad that people aren't more educated as to dog ownership...they aren't 'things" ...they're family members who acquire as much time as a new human baby. Anyone who wants a dog should rescue if it's their first. At least the fee is minimal and they are up on their shots and NEUTERED !! That's at least a $500. plus !

nohea

So true, really they require more time than a baby. (OK, sorta). At least with a baby you can put them in the car, take them to the grocery store, the mall, the doctor, etc. You can't take a puppy these places, therefore they have to be left and you must manage your time even more.

Don't want to offend, but maybe a cat, or a rabbit would be a better choice. (I know, it's been said before, just need to emphasize it.)

Bradster

EliNHunter said:
You asked for our OPINION... and you're GETTING IT. Just because you don't agree with it and are getting all snippy back at us because of it, don't blame us. It is VERY UNFAIR to get a puppy and leave it alone and think you're getting a great dog. You're just asking for trouble -- a.k.a. yipping, hyperness, etc. So, if you don't like our advice, maybe you need to find another board.
we all leave our dogs alone sometimes, there are other things you can do however. depending on the dog. im no expert, but, why dont you buy it some toys for while your gone?
i found that leaving the radio or tv on while im out keeps my dog less lonely, hearing someones voice, like on a talkshow station or something... hope this helps

Members online