Hershie and Skyler

W

Wahya

My lab chow mix has cancer. We also have a huskey who can't be alone. Really, did you ever see a huskey live without another dog? When Hershie passes on :( we'll need to get another puppy for Skyler. He will need a new friend. Where should I go to get one. I don't want to go to the pet store because of the price and sometimes those puppies come from puppy mills (bad thing, very bad thing) should I get a puppy from the breeder, the shelter...where?

I'm so sorry to hear about Hershie; it's so heartbreaking to lose one. I know you're cherishing every moment of Hershie's time left with you.

Definitely go to the shelter first. But do make arrangements to take the new dog to the vet before you bring it home so you can make sure it hasn't picked up anything that might be transmitted to Skyler. And you might also want to consider giving Skyler a chance to grieve before you bring the new dog home.

Let us know how things work out. We'll be thinking about you and Hershie, especially.

It is always sad to lose a friend. It is just as sad for dogs to lose their friends.
I wish Hershie a painless experience.

Do go to the shelter when the time comes as Renee suggests. You will be
surprised at what is available.

Chazhound

Oh, yes, they do grieve terribly. Bimmer was grief stricken when we lost our Buffy. He didn't begin to recover until we brought Shiva home. He hadn't had an appetite, or played or even responded happily to attention. Even his favorite activity in the universe - running in the pasture with the jeep while Charlie counts the cows in the evening - failed to get any kind of happy response from him; it may have actually depressed him more because he and Buffy always went together.

About a week after we brought Shiva home he started playing with her a little bit, by two weeks he was playing hard with her and starting to train her. When we brought Kharma home it was the same process, and after about a month and a half he started to treat Kharma in some of the same ways he did Buffy.

But he still misses Buffy. Sometimes, if he's sleeping and one of us mentions Buffy's name, he'll jump up fully alert and look around, then sigh softly and lay his head back down and close his eyes, making soft little crooning noises until he falls back asleep. And even now, he's much more serious and never plays and cavorts as much as he and Buffy did together.

MEG126

awww!! reminds me of that book 'where the red fern grows' - that book was so sad, it made me cry! anyways just wanted to let you know that we'll be praying for you and hershie, and for skyler and your newcomer. i know the first (and only time) i had to put one of my dogs down i thought it was going to be the worst day of my life. but i'm sure you'll have many great times ahead and a special place in your heart for hershie-

Members online

No members online now.