Anxiety Problems??

linzgrrl

Yorkie & Jack Russell
I fear that my two year old Jack Russell may have an anxiety problem. Whenever she hears the word "no" or is told not to do something or hears a high pitched sound, or feels somewhat threatened in ANY shape of form... she shakes uncontrollably and pees. She used to only pee when I would get home from work and she would be so excited but now she pees whenever there is so much as a slight breeze in the right direction. Ive never "corrected" her for this action as I dont feel it is something she can control.. is there a solution or does she really even have a medical problem? For instance, we just let her inside from pottying outside and she ran into the house and into her carrier like she was in trouble for something... she is shaking... and when I went to call her out, she peed in the crate....I'm confused... suggestions??

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
That sounds so sad for everybody!!!! Nobody wants to see someone in so much pain and not be able to help..have you had a vet check? Is it possible it could be phyisical pain?

linzgrrl

Yorkie & Jack Russell
i called the vet today and he said it sounded more like a "mental" problem and referred me to a trainer in our area. Unfortunetly we only have 2 in our area, only one around us and another one about an hour away. We've already signed her up for obedience classes starting tomorrow, but we would really like to get the issue solved ASAP. We don't like seeing her sad, and we don't know what to do!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I think my dog has seperation anxiety (or he doesn't like his crate). I got back from taking my daughter to the hospital this evening and it sounded like there was a petshop in our house he was barking uncontrollably. He shut up the minute I turned on the lights, and to my surprise he didn't pee in his crate (which he had been in for over 2 hours). He's been doing the barking thing ever since we got him but today was the first day that he has been in his crate while everybody was gone for over an hour without peeing (or leaving us another surprise). I'm so proud of him. He's going to puppy training classes too, and I have tried numerous different toys to keep him entertained but the toys don't seem to work for him.

linzgrrl

Yorkie & Jack Russell
We started obedience classes last night... and guess what. We are already seeing signgs of improvement. She hasn't had ANY episodes today whatsoever. We basically worked on a "dominance down." Crazy what a little training can do!!!

juliefurry said:
I think my dog has seperation anxiety (or he doesn't like his crate). I got back from taking my daughter to the hospital this evening and it sounded like there was a petshop in our house he was barking uncontrollably. He shut up the minute I turned on the lights, and to my surprise he didn't pee in his crate (which he had been in for over 2 hours). He's been doing the barking thing ever since we got him but today was the first day that he has been in his crate while everybody was gone for over an hour without peeing (or leaving us another surprise). I'm so proud of him. He's going to puppy training classes too, and I have tried numerous different toys to keep him entertained but the toys don't seem to work for him.
You know, he just might be a bit claustrophobic - or whatever it's called in dogs. A puppy proofed room instead of crating might do wonders.

linzgrrl

Yorkie & Jack Russell
Dominance down is when we sit down on the ground with the dog leashed and we pull it tight under our leg so the dog is forced to lay down beside us. Tippy spent most of the time with her butt in the air and whining but she eventually layed down. The reward is that when they lay down then the leash gets loosened for them. You're not to talk to them except an occassional "down" and not to touch them.. she said the goal is to out-stubborn them.

Oh geez. I can't say I approve of that. I'd watch this trainer if I were you. Just remember; don't ever do anything to your dog that you wouldn't do to a child. There are so many other ways to tell your dog what you want, and if this trainer can't adapt to someone who wants to train positive, she's not worth what you're paying her.

Amen to that, Emma! That credo should be inscribed in big red letters in every shelter, kennel, training area, etc.

Sounds more like "breaking" or bullying a dog than out-stubborning . . . :mad:

Yikes, I hate to say but I'd be scared that harsh training like that will end up making you dog worse. You should never try to dominate a scared dog, it only makes the dog more scared.

Staff online

Members online