Dog jumping

tryin

I have a 4 year old lab/border collie mix that jumps on people when they come in the door. I have not had any luck breaking her of this. She gets so excited when people come over, she starts whining and crying and jumping all over them. It is total chaos coming into the house. Obviously we have let this behaviour go on too long and it needs to be fixed quick. I'm having a baby in 3 months and I want to resolve this before she is born.
The problem is that she does not jump on my husband and I and we don't have visitors very often so how do I train her when the behaviour is only exibited in instances that don't occur often?

Congratulations on the new baby! One thing's for sure, you've got a real baby-watcher in your Border Collie cross.

You'll need to enlist some help from some good friends. It has to be more than one person so she won't think the lesson is only about not jumping on one particular person. I've always had good results with bringing my knee up and saying "NO" very firmly.

Of course, with a Border Collie/Lab cross, you'll have to be quick! They are so fast and agile.

You can reinforce the "NO" by squirting her with a spray bottle of water. Keep one close to the door so you can grab it before you open the door.

MEG126

just a quick comment... well it may turn into more... who knows- lol

first small comment: the spray bottle thing didn't work for my doggy (she's a golden)... we tried that system but she liked it, so since you've got a mix w/ some lab and they're such big water dogs, that could be an obstacle for you too...

another thing is the knee thing worked for me too!! it was kind of different because we used it when penny would jump up on us either in the yard or out on walks, but the knee tactic worked for us (not very informative here, but i figure success stories can be encouraging!!)

good luck and i hope some of that was helpful.... :)

It's funny how different dogs react to different things. Ours love to get in the water, Shiva even puts her head under and blows bubbles, but hate being sprayed. Just figure out what they don't like and use it as a deterrent.

Meg, I can just picture your Golden having fun being sprayed - and it's definitely a funny picture! They do like some strange things sometimes, don't they?

MEG126

yea we quickly noticed that tactic wasn't going to work... haha. she's really strange with water actually because she hates being sprayed with the hose like when i'm watering plants and she's not too fond of baths either... we want to take her to the lake so it'll be fun to see how she likes that (i have a feeling she'd like that more...)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I too have a problem with four on the floor..always in the past the knee is a quick fix and has never been the problem. When i brought Victor home he was all over every one and I have been desperate to to calm him down. He is somewhat better now but replaced jumping on you to simply jumping eye level (repeatedly) out of knee reach..since i am 5'10 this is distracting as all get out.He will down and stay, but doesn't get the point not to do it in the first place. He also slides into laps so quickly that unless the water bottle is just set in front of you as a warning it misses the action to correct and he is just confused. He thinks he has to smell everybody's breath too..I want my boy to have good manners any tips?

Saje

Island dweller
Maverick LOVES the water bottle. He drinks it. We spray it in our month. It would probably work for Mikey though. Mav likes the hose to.

Well, Shiva has finally reached the size and age that she's figured out I'm not going to knee her if she starts jumping up again simply because I've got to have both feet firmly planted to keep from going down under her onslaught. (I'm 5'10 -11' too Smkie!) So I have learned to start saying, "DOWN Shiva" from the moment I start trying to get out of the car. It works well enough to give me time to at least get to the house and put down the briefcase or groceries or whatever else I'm carrying. Once that's done I brace myself for the inevitable and just go with it and put my arms around her and give her the hug she's craving when she puts her paws on my shoulders and rests her big head next to my neck.

I'm thankful Kharma doesn't do the same. There is no way I could keep my feet under me with both of them jumping up at once!

Bimmer, being an intelligent boy, stands back and waits for the end of the pandemonium.

Saje

Island dweller
LOL cute. My dogs don't really jump up. Maverick has to be invited. He doesn't like to expend energy that way. He likes to wag his tail and knock things over. Sometimes I think someone is knocking at the door but it's just Maverick wagging his tail against the wall really fast.

I had a friend that suggested walking a dog backwards every time he jumped up because most dogs don't like to walk backwards. I'm not sure how well that would work.

Saje

Here is how I'd fix jumping. (I did it with Rose and it worked like a charm!)

I first tried kneeing her in the chest. Didn't work. (I've also heard some bad things about the kneeing in the chest. It can make your dogs scared of strangers because 'when she just tries to say hi, the hurt her!') What I would do instead of kneeing her in the chest would be:

Have a leash on her when a visitor comes. Have her in a sit postistion. When the visitor comes in, keep her on all fours. The guests can pet her and reward her when she is sitting down. If she jumps, have the guests turn sideways and ignore her. She will soon get off because she isn't getting pet. As soon as she has four on the floor, praise her and give her a treat. She will soon learn that Jumping=being ignored and sitting=getting treats, hugs, and pats!!! I did that with Rose and it worked wonders. She doesn't jump anymore unless she wants to give me a kiss! lol

Brattina88

In addition to what Rose Girl posted heres my two cents

To train the fosters not to jump we go through a two step phase. Step one is get the dog to sit when we say, consistantly, no matter what. We have to teach them that anyway.
Step two is the 'off' command. Its pretty simple. First you teach/encourage the dog to jump on to something. This could be a couch, a platform, a box, anything. Once the dog is up say 'off' and make sure the dog gets off. This is usually done by saying off with a handsignal and tossing a treat to the floor, or snap the leash to the collar and give an encouraging pop to jump down. Once all four feet hit the ground you praise. Pretty easy. Soon the dog relizes that off=4 on the floor.
Twist it around. Have the dog put his two front feet on something and then say off. Do it until she gets it.

Then the first step comes back in, picking up on what Rose's Gal said. Make the dog sit before she jumps up. If she's already jumping on someone then you say off and remind her to sit.

Congrats on the baby
Let us know how the training goes, and what technique you decide to use and works

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Vic likes to dance too..maybe we should put them together..and let them swing
he can stand on his hind legs for an unbelievably long time

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
The off command sounds like good advise.. we will start that tonight! Let you know how it goes. I have never ever had trouble with four on the floor like this guy!

Oh, Smkie, I have visions! You'll have to illustrate them! As soon as I get some of these more recent photos processed I'll send you some by e-mail. We may have a children's book there, too. . .

Brattina's advice is always excellent. She has so much first hand experience with different types of dogs from all sorts of different backgrounds. Brattina could probably do something with Shiva the Incorrigible One. :D

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Want to thank everybody...did the up on the chair and off thing...and backed it up with invite up on my lap to fill his needs for hugs...but only when invited...we are making progress. I should have been more attentive..shoving down and saying no repeatedly was only making him panicky that I didn't "want" him. He pretty much got it in a couple lessons. He learned sit,shake,down,stay,leave it, pick it up, all in one lesson. This was an emotional need for him. I think he saw it only as rejection. I never claim to know it all no matter how many years...I read in a book a few years back that yawning is a reaction to confusion. My friend Jim thought his dog was being smart@#$ when he told him to do something....after I told him what I read it all made sense, so did this, thanks again (from Victor too!) for teaching his mum something

Brattina88

Renee750il said:
Brattina's advice is always excellent. She has so much first hand experience with different types of dogs from all sorts of different backgrounds. Brattina could probably do something with Shiva the Incorrigible One. :D
Oh, stop. I do believe my head is swelling :eek: lol!!
but you're stuck with Shiva, because I can't offer any help there :p :D

Saje

Island dweller
Every time I read this thread title I imagine "dog jumping" like horse jumping. Or I picture dogs jumping over eachother. I'm odd. I know

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
That 's vic's whole problem.When I first heard about flyball..I thought oh boy I found a sport he would adore, but it was a race and bored him to tears. Sometimes he just jumps for fun. I have seen him from the window. Now I am looking at Dock dogs...but they only jump off the dog during compition, nobody has a "dock" to practice that i have found. So maybe we will try jump rope. who knows.

Members online