red stains/gooey paws

maui

:(
Our 55 lb mixed breed active male... has some sticky feet. He also has a vet appointment Tuesday....

Here is what I found. When looking at his paws his white hair in between his toes is stained kind of a darkish red color, I would call it dried blood color. I have not found any dried blood. His paws also have a gooey-mucusy- substance. To best describe it, I would call it clear snot.

The "goo" is what caught my attention. I thought he stepped on a worm or something. Then I found I was cleaning it off and it just kept coming! As I rinse his feet the water runs completely clear. No limping or anything.

I scheduled a vet appointment right away. Does anyone think this sounds like a real emergency? He's fine otherwise... well for him.. He is a picky eater and hasn't developed an appetite, which would worry me.

Thanks!
-maui

maui

Allergies!

The vet said it's allergies. He is licking his paws. The saliva is causing the rusty stains on the white hair. Also, the goo means he is doing it a lot. Of course, the goo was not there today, go figure.

He prescribed an antihistamine, hydroxyzine, and omega 3-which he laready takes. The vet also gave me a wash for his toes to keep them from getting infected, which would be the next issue. I am happy to say we caught it in time.

So--- we'll see how it goes.

Glad to hear he didn't immediately reach for the cortisone! Wonder what your dog is walking through that's causing it? Have you had to use any herbicides or pesticides lately, or maybe changed a route you walk him on?

That is a first one for me. I at first though pesticides too...
Hope it goes away fast.

Chazhound

maui

Pesticides? (long)

Hi- I didn't think of that. Pesticides?! Would you be referring to ground cover tick treatments? It's not on the lawn, but in a big part of our wild areas. We do that on our lot because if we don't the Frontline Plus doesn't keep the ticks from getting free rides into the house. And with the acreage we have, I don't know what else to do!

I am totally open to solutions and suggestions! I have been trying different natural tick and flea shampoos. If you have any that really work-please let me know. FYI- he's not a big fan of garlic in his food.

His allergy medicine worked at the high dose. His feet looked awsome for a week. But, as we tapered down they are back to getting gooey. Personally, I never see him lick his feet. So- just in case it is happening at night I for the first time put some bitter apple on his pads, and the top of his nails... in places where he would taste it, but avoiding the sores. And, today the sores are dry.

Using an anti bacterial wash. He just glares at me. But a good boy.

Oh- about the new terrain. He is always out and about. He is in swampy areas, dry areas, wood chipped areas, grass areas, the side walk, the street... his foot life in a nut shell. He spends a fair amount of time outside with other dogs playing a few times a week.

Wondering, I saw someone post about Tee Tree Oil for dogs, I heard a rumor this is toxic. Don't know where I read it. If anyone knows anything, let me know.

Thanks again! -Maui

maui

food

Hi- another thing...

He eats:

Dry:
Flint River Ranch Lamb and Rice
Solid Gold Beef, Bison

Wet:
Merrick -any but loves working dog stew
Nuera- Beef, Beef and Liver
Wellness -any that lack fish (thought he was developing a dislike for lamb, until I read it has whitefish in it... )

We vary and mix these.

-Maui

Everything sounds good to me. Since he plays with other dogs in like places, see if any of the other dogs are having the same problem. May lead to the cause if they do.

Chazhound

Members online

No members online now.