My heart was breaking this morning :<

Cidney

As I was driving to work this morning, I entered the on ramp to the freeway and on the slim shoulder I see this little Sheltie dog trotting down toward the ramp. He/she was at least on the little bit of shoulder the freeway had to offer but I have no idea if the dog was going to go down the on ramp or cross it with on coming cars. There was no way I could have stopped, I would have gotten rear ended and there was not enough shoulder for me to pull over on. The next exit was miles down and I have no idea if the dog made it off the freeway to some where safe or not. I hate when i see things like this and I cant do anything to help, what could I have done?

bonster

Disappointed :(
Its horrible to see that kind of thing. I guess you did the best you could -
for a start not hitting the dog youself!
If you can't stop all you can do is try and call
the cops from a cellphone I guess - they should be interested - not least due to the
potential for a traffic accident.
I too saw lose dogs today - two Spanish greyhounds - probably cast out -
lose on a local (fast) highway with virtually no shoulder.
One still had a long rope around its neck and trailing behind it, I guess its tether,
Sadly its not uncommon to see them hit and lying at the roadside.
But you have to rationalise - however hard and sad - its not worth a pile up!
And even if you can stop, lose dogs might be hard to catch.
I actually turned around and went back -- but the dogs had gone off to the side into fields -
I doubt I would have caught them anyway ...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i stood outside my car in the rain trying to call a dog on the freeway..he wouldn't even turn around..it was just pouring too. That was a sheltie too. when I see one out there alone it is the same as seeing a child there...

Cidney

You are right, I should have called the police or even an animal hospital that was close by to see if they could at least go look to see if the dog made it some where safe. I am going to have positive thoughts and believe the poor dog made it! I keep asking myself, how do dogs get on the freeway like that? I know some are due to idiots not securing them when riding in the back of a truck but other than that I just cant imagine how a dog ends up on a major freeway like that.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Unfortunatley there are people who throw dogs out of moving cars!!! How they can live with themselves I will never know!!

I hate seeing that stuff. I wish they could dog proof the world so another dog doesn't have to get hurt. :(

-Jon

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
they wouldn't have done anything probably...my mom says I am always the one to "see" the animal get hit..and she is right. once one crawled under my tire at a stop light...it was really bad and the dog was not dead..i won't go into details because you don't want to know..anyway there was a police officer down the street parked so i left the truck there and walked down to get his attention and i thought he would help..he didn't..if it were now I would have just backed over the poor thing and ended it's misery instead of leaving it up to the people who are suppose to care...on the other side i did see a police officer put a deer down even tho discharging his weapon in the city meant a lot of paperwork for him so I can't put the police down, just that one in particular.

Gustav said:
Unfortunatley there are people who throw dogs out of moving cars!!! How they can live with themselves I will never know!!
One of my girls was thrown out the window of a car in a sack :(.

Members online

No members online now.