White Boxers

Status
Not open for further replies.
SummerRiot said:
I have heard of the "white boxers have problems" myth before.

I dont know much about the Boxer breed but I know that a white pup can be generated from any two partners. I have met three white boxers recently and I had asked each owner if they have any medical problems. Only one out of the three have food allergies and tend to get "colds" in the winter time.
Also, one of the three also had a brown spot about an apple size on his head.. I assume that one spot sort of breaks the myth of an "all white" boxer though eh??

A white boxer should have even if very small a patch of fawn or brindle somewhere on their body. That spot would be the color that they are or should have been. My Boxer is 2 1/2 if the myth was true when is she supposed to get sick?LOL

R

RedyreRottweilers

You are starting out breeding dogs who are disqualified according to the breed standard.

Sorry, but you won't get far that way, and you won't get show prospect puppies from pet quality dogs.

What sort of health testing do you do before breeding?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I think is is all mixed up anyway. Show 'standards' don't mean much...

i.e. - Dalmations with blue eyes here is a fault, there is fine... etc etc...

Whatever takes the countries fancy it seems. Give me my mutt anyday ;)

Dizzy said:
I think is is all mixed up anyway. Show 'standards' don't mean much...

i.e. - Dalmations with blue eyes here is a fault, there is fine... etc etc...

Whatever takes the countries fancy it seems. Give me my mutt anyday ;)

I love your mutt!!! What kind is he/she?

Bichonmum

I don't see what the problem is personally.

Some of the first foundation dogs were white, that is a fact.

Not all of them are deaf, the risk is slightly increased but not by too much. The majority aren't deaf at all.

There is no proof to say they are more unhealthy.

And just because they can't be shown in conformation doesn't mean they can't be registered still.

So what's the problem? If the person is responsible and already have pet homes lined up for any white puppies then surely they are entitled to breed them. It is a personal choice after all and not really anyone else's business.

I would understand if it was a serious health concern but it isn't.

That's just my opinion. :)

T

tessa_s212

If a color poses health risk and/or can cause them like the white color in boxers can do, then they should not be bred. Increasing health problems in a breed is NOT improving the breed as a whole, and should not be done.

Bichonmum

But around 20% of Boxer births are white anyway and of that 20%, only about 10% are deaf. There is nothing to say that they will be deaf.
And even if they were they still make great pets, if they are going to pet quality homes anyway that would be their purpose, they can do that wonderfully.
Why should it be a problem?
Well bred white boxers have healthy lives, the average life span is around 12-14 years which is the SAME as the non-white Boxers.
They suffer from the same problems as fawns and brindles do the only difference is that they are more sensitive to the sun, I'm sure that the good breeders would already have owners in mind that are aware of this.
I honestly don't think it is that bad, there can still be the possibility of show quality pups within the litter which would be improving the breed anyway.
There are far worse breeding practices going on. Breeding a white Boxer is not as terrible as it is made out to be.
The simple fact is that a lot of the myths are just that! There is no truth to most of it! :)

bubbatd

I see nothing wrong in adopting and loving a white boxer ... then spay or neuter it.

But around 20% of Boxer births are white anyway and of that 20%, only about 10% are deaf. There is nothing to say that they will be deaf.
And even if they were they still make great pets, if they are going to pet quality homes anyway that would be their purpose, they can do that wonderfully.
Why should it be a problem?
Well bred white boxers have healthy lives, the average life span is around 12-14 years which is the SAME as the non-white Boxers.
They suffer from the same problems as fawns and brindles do the only difference is that they are more sensitive to the sun, I'm sure that the good breeders would already have owners in mind that are aware of this.
I honestly don't think it is that bad, there can still be the possibility of show quality pups within the litter which would be improving the breed anyway.
There are far worse breeding practices going on. Breeding a white Boxer is not as terrible as it is made out to be.
The simple fact is that a lot of the myths are just that! There is no truth to most of it! :)

Bichonmum Thank you! Boxers in general have health issuse. White Boxers are just like anyother white dog like Dal and Jacks. Deafness in a Boxer is the same likelyhood in a Dalmation.

I'm all for rescuing a white boxer. I don't agree with breeding them. I have met boxers and I think they're a wonderful breed. I'd love to rescue one in the future.

Boxerowner said:
Bichonmum Thank you! Boxers in general have health issuse. White Boxers are just like anyother white dog like Dal and Jacks. Deafness in a Boxer is the same likelyhood in a Dalmation.
Sorry but I have to disagree with that Jacks are suposed to to 51% or more white and Boxers are not, I love them and yes a white can come out of any litter, but they should be pets only, i have always wanted a white one because I love their look

R

RedyreRottweilers

The problem is that no responsible breeder breeds animals who do not meet the breed standard.

No one with a male dog of any consequence is going to breed to your white bitch.

So you will not be able to tap into the excellent blood lines out there to try to breed "up" your bitch.

No one would have sold you any breeding stock, either, without strings attached and a contract stating you are not to breed WHITE BOXERS, so it's impossible that you have acquired a bitch to use for breeding from any sort of responsible source.

Boxers are not supposed to be white.

If you CHOOSE to breed white boxers, you are, by definition, a high risk breeder who is putting personal goals before the welfare of your chosen breed.

There is a right way to breed dogs, and it does not include contaminating the gene pool with animals who are of an undesired or disallowed color.

You can be quite sure that the founders of the breed had good reason for making too much white undesireable in that breed, whether they started with white or not.

They started with some black dogs in Golden Retrievers too, does that make it ok to breed black goldens?

The breed standard(s) are there for a reason.

If you choose to ignore them, that is not something we can control, but don't come here and be surprised that you are pegged as an irresponsible person who is uneducated in what breeding is supposed to be about when you fit the mold perfectly.

And if she IS tested, WHAT testing have you had done? And what of the sire?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Sorry, but breeding to standards does not necessarily 'better' the breed.

Look at bulldogs, pugs, pekingese etc and the problems they have BECAUSE of the stupid standards. Breathing problems, squashed faces. That is the standard - a pushed up nose. Impossible to have it without breathing problems.

Docked tail is a standard, as is cropped ears... Hardly 'improving the breed'. Aesthetics. It is a standard - should you begin to breed only dogs with pointy ears and short tails? It is a standard, so why not?!

Unless a dog is worked, and had a purpose, the 'bettering the breed' rubbish is useless except for aesthetics and old tradition.

If it weren't for the DEMAND of pedigree dogs, there would be no mills. If it weren't for people wanting pedigrees there would be no BYB. If it weren't for pedigree dogs, there would be alot less genetic defaults.

A LOT of you are hypocritical. ALL breeders have a lot to answer for.

I love all dogs, big, small, fat, thin, PEDIGREE, mutt.

Instead of bickering amongst yourselves, do something productive.

Use all your breath/typing energy, to petition for animal rights, save a forest, help starving children.

Last edited:
T

tessa_s212

Dizzy, I respect you very much, but name calling will only make matters worse on this thread.

Coudln't agree more with Dizzy's sentence:

"Unless a dog is worked, and had a purpose, the 'bettering the breed' rubbish is useless except for aesthetics and old tradition."

Standards are merely only that, an old tradition. And it is sad that some truly think AKC is god and you HAVE to stick to breed standards to be improving the breed. Heck, what is improving the breed to one person, is killing the breed in other's eyes. (For example, the many breeds that are split into "show" and "working" bred, you'd often hear the working dog breeders say conformation is horrible and disgusting thing to do to a dog.)

With that said, white boxers still should not be bred. IMO, it is not because it is breeding away from standard, but only because it CAN AND DOES cause HEALTH problems. If you still think it is alright to purposely breed unhealthy dogs, how about you take my dogs for a while. How about YOU have to clean up Pepper's bloody, mucousy, painful diahhrea due to her ulcers. How about YOU pay for the surgeries, and then care for her 24/7 after them. How about YOU having to see her suffer from the pain.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Sorry, I don't think I have name called...

:)

Just making my opinion known, adding to the debate!

Feel free to discuss my points! Disagree, agree, whatever!

Ash47

Taco Dog
tessa_s212 said:
Dizzy, I respect you very much, but name calling will only make matters worse on this thread.

Coudln't agree more with Dizzy's sentence:

"Unless a dog is worked, and had a purpose, the 'bettering the breed' rubbish is useless except for aesthetics and old tradition."

Standards are merely only that, an old tradition. And it is sad that some truly think AKC is god and you HAVE to stick to breed standards to be improving the breed. Heck, what is improving the breed to one person, is killing the breed in other's eyes. (For example, the many breeds that are split into "show" and "working" bred, you'd often hear the working dog breeders say conformation is horrible and disgusting thing to do to a dog.)

With that said, white boxers still should not be bred. IMO, it is not because it is breeding away from standard, but only because it CAN AND DOES cause HEALTH problems. If you still think it is alright to purposely breed unhealthy dogs, how about you take my dogs for a while. How about YOU have to clean up Pepper's bloody, mucousy, painful diahhrea due to her ulcers. How about YOU pay for the surgeries, and then care for her 24/7 after them. How about YOU having to see her suffer from the pain.
I agree with everything you say here! White boxers are ok to love, but not ok to breed.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
here is what i know about white..my boss wanted a white lab.never bred for them specifically the only time he tried the two females were sterile..The heavens above have a way of telling us something..most white lab puppies..i only saw a few were born dead. And then there is my Bronki. He was the only "white" one in the litter of german shorthair/labrador cross. The sun hurt his skin..and tho he was my best dog ever, and i loved him beyond and across the top. cancer took him at 7. White is fragile, any vet would tell you that. Except in certain breeds where white is the dominate, not the exception. Before you bring a pup into this world to invest your heart so deeply, give him the best chance possible at a long life. They are given to us to care for and they are here for such a short time, lets not make it any shorter and cause them pain and suffering.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
RedyreRottweilers said:
The problem is that no responsible breeder breeds animals who do not meet the breed standard.

No one with a male dog of any consequence is going to breed to your white bitch.

So you will not be able to tap into the excellent blood lines out there to try to breed "up" your bitch.

No one would have sold you any breeding stock, either, without strings attached and a contract stating you are not to breed WHITE BOXERS, so it's impossible that you have acquired a bitch to use for breeding from any sort of responsible source.

Boxers are not supposed to be white.

If you CHOOSE to breed white boxers, you are, by definition, a high risk breeder who is putting personal goals before the welfare of your chosen breed.

There is a right way to breed dogs, and it does not include contaminating the gene pool with animals who are of an undesired or disallowed color.

You can be quite sure that the founders of the breed had good reason for making too much white undesireable in that breed, whether they started with white or not.

They started with some black dogs in Golden Retrievers too, does that make it ok to breed black goldens?

The breed standard(s) are there for a reason.

If you choose to ignore them, that is not something we can control, but don't come here and be surprised that you are pegged as an irresponsible person who is uneducated in what breeding is supposed to be about when you fit the mold perfectly.

And if she IS tested, WHAT testing have you had done? And what of the sire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.