I have a ?

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
how much work is a lab, how much exercise I give him. how long it take to train a lab, how they will be with other dogs and cats, are they hyper. can you tell me pls. because I have a lab, and him dose not listen to me very well. like when i'm training him he dose not listen, but when i'm not training and I tell him to lay down he dose rigth away. I don't understand and he not a perbred hes a lab chow rot mix can anyone help pls. thanl you :confused: :mad:

Rose's Gal

Ok, let me see if I can answer your questions......
A Lab is a highly trianable dog. They can have a stubborn streak, and aren't as much of a 'push button' as a Golden Retreiver is, but they are still highly trianable.

Labs are normally good with all animals, but there is always the excpetion. It depends on the individual dog, and how well it was socialized.

Labs are very active dogs. Young dogs exspecialy, can be very 'hyper'. If you could take your dog jogging or a long walk (if it is old enough to stand that type of exercise) I'm sure he will greatly appriciate it. A tired dog is a good dog.

Now on the training......what kind of trianing methods do you use? Maybe when you are doing a 'trianing session', he just isn't having fun, but when you ask him to do it outside of the 'trianing session', he is having fun. I don't know. I have the exact oppisite of your problem. My dogs listen when we are having a trianing session, but when we aren't, they only listen half of the time.

Hope that helped some.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My experience with labs is first they are babies, to be treated as one, around 8-12 weeks. Then they are toddlers, they will chew on everything you own, especially if it smells like you, they do this first because they are teething and then because they love you so much, it is best to put your shoes in a drawer, keep headphones and telelphones out of their reach..remove anything wooden or leather, buy some bitter apple. by 5months to a year you have your hands full of a mobile active and curious child. You need loads of walks, fresh air and a zillion games of fetch this stage you should work each day for at least 20 minutes on obdience..not necesarily all at the same time, but make sure you do it every day. This is when you love them even when it is hard to, you do it because they love you so much. AFter the one year mark you repeat all of the above until they are 2. Then they start to settle down a little..by f our and five you have the best dog that has ever walked the earth and it was worth every moment of the first two years...then your dog gets older and wiser, you flow together like you were born together..then suddenly your dog is old. THere is a song about old dogs, children and watermelon wine. That is my experience with labs.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I forgot old wise boss'es three rules for raising a puppy
In memory of a great trainer here they are

Always make sure they are having at least 50 percent of the fun
always leave them wanting more
Never give a command you don't inforce

That is the best advice I ever received for training my dog
especially with a laab the second is important
don't throw over three retrieves at a time for a puppy
when it is no longer fun..they will quit.

I remember you neko :)

Labs are 1. a very intelligent breed 2. very eager to please 3. very sweet 4. very energetic. First, how much exercise would you say your dog gets every day? A Lab should have at least half an hour of vigorous exercise. This can be a good game of ball, a long walk, running around, or a trip to the dog park. Because they are eager to please Labs are generally easy to train. My Lab knows all basic commands and more and is 100% happy when obeying my commands because she is pleasing me--her biggest goal. Because the breed is also very intelligent, Labs are commonly used as guide dogs, detection dogs, etc.. Labs are also a very sweet breed, and though they may need a lot of exercise, Labs like to cuddle and spend lots of time with their owner.

Chow Chows are more independent than Labradors, but still a great breed. My neighbor had a purebred and a mix, and they were both wonderful, loving dogs, though I can't say I would trust a Chow more than a Lab :p.

How long are your training sessions? Do you have him on-leash when training? What kind of treats do you use? If he doesn't pay attention to you when you are training, hold a treat between your eyes, on your forehead, and say "Look at me". Once he does, reward him, with a different treat. Do this a few times then give him a break. Some dogs have shorter attention spans than others. Some dogs can train for only a few minutes while others could train for an hour or two.

Gaddy has an excellent suggestion and the only thing I can think to add to it would be to have a visual cue to match the command. As an example, Jake (my dog) wouldn't lie-down until I placed my hand flat on the floor for the first couple of days - I could have said 'jump' but as long as my hand was on the floor, he'd lie-down. After a couple of days, he'd reliably lie down on the audible command alone but the hand action really helped him pick up on what I wanted him to do. Even now, just that hand-action will have Jake lying down, pointing at him will have him sit, holding my hand out with my palm turned up will prompt him to give me his paw - all without a sound. Voice commands fell into place quick enough, but having a visual cue to work with first seemed to be the trick with him. It may not be the case with you, but it may be worth a try.

Andrew

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
for gaddylovesdogs I would say about 20 mins, I do when we are out side not in because if I have him on leash in side he think it time to go out side. I use milkbones

and thank for all your idea

neko12_48767 said:
for gaddylovesdogs I would say about 20 mins, I do when we are out side not in because if I have him on leash in side he think it time to go out side. I use milkbones

and thank for all your idea
Do you think he pays attention to you while training? If he doesn't, you may want to shorten the training sessions. How many training sessions do you have every day? Once, twice, three? Or more? Does he like milkbones? Are they treats he really wants to work for?

You may try exercising him before training with him--take him on a good long walk and then hold a training session. Or you could train while on a walk.

Rose's Gal

Just thought I'd add this too. There are LOTS of distractions outside. That might also be why he pays no attention to you. He thinks that the distractions (cars, animals, smells, noises, etc) are more interesting.

Rose's Gal said:
Just thought I'd add this too. There are LOTS of distractions outside. That might also be why he pays no attention to you. He thinks that the distractions (cars, animals, smells, noises, etc) are more interesting.
Yes. Once he's ready you could start training outdoors.

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
HI ya i have a lab puppy as well and i know how hard it is!!!
My mum has a black lab which my mum and dad both trained but coz lucky is mine i have o do the hard work which is fine with me!!Im trying to find puppy classes i agree with gladdylovesdogs and Neko labs do need 20 mins of training!!
Anyways good luck!!!!

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
I give him training once a day, and I think he like the milkbones because I pull one out and hes right there, and neko been doing good, but I don't understand is I telll him to sit and stay hes dose, but I tell him to lay down, and he walks away is it some thing with dogs and down and staying. and thank for your ideas

neko12_48767 said:
I give him training once a day, and I think he like the milkbones because I pull one out and hes right there, and neko been doing good, but I don't understand is I telll him to sit and stay hes dose, but I tell him to lay down, and he walks away is it some thing with dogs and down and staying. and thank for your ideas
I'm assuming you train with your other dogs around. Train in a quiet room with no distractions until he is reliable.

Members online

No members online now.