Defecating dog

Sols Mum

Hiya I’m Stacie and have an 18 month old male Rottie called Sol. Until recently Sol was doing brilliantly, I even had plans to get a friend for him, but have decided to put that on hold (for now anyway).

So my problem is…..
Sol has decided to forget that he was ever house trained; he is urinating and defecating absolutely everywhere in my home, apart from the main bedroom. I am at my wits end with him and don’t possibly know what to do.

Sol is left for 7 hours everyday on his own, I know this is unfortunate, but I have a neighbour who pops in at lunch time everyday, lets him out and has a play with him. He is walked at about 7am every morning and again at about 5.30 (this being the big main walk) He has an abundance of toys to play with and touch wood he isn’t destructive, so I cant seem to understand if he’s bored or just seeking attention.

I have given consideration to things like separation anxiety and even practised leaving the house at various times, and returning at various times, as I researched earlier on the web. I also took an extended Christmas vacation to see if I could try and combat this problem, but to no avail, he is still doing it.

Having read up all about separation anxiety Sol doesn’t seem to be suffering from this (well in my opinion), he is fine when I leave the house and not ‘over’ excited when I return. He can go the odd day without making any mess and personally I can see no real pattern in his fouling. He will occasionally do it whilst I am in the house, other times he will alert me to let me know he wants to go out. I can go out four 5 minutes come back and there is mess, I can nip to the hairdressers for over an hour and he’s been fine. He has even done it several times during the night, which has never happened before, not even when he was a pup, Sol isn’t on his own throughout the night either, he sleeps in my room.

I have started to give him a treat when there’s no mess, and also I am not punishing him when there is. I used to just tap him on the end of his nose, but have been informed that this could make the situation worse. So now I just ignore him and immediately clean up. I have given consideration to a cage, but I believe he may injure himself if locked in one, so I am having to give this a miss.

I would be most grateful for any ideas and comments you can give me as I am at my wits end.

Thanks

Stacie xx

Brattina88

Is Sol confined to a room or does he have free roam in the house when you are away? You may have to confine him to a smaller area when you can't supervise him to keep him from urinating and defecating in your house. I have a Cocker Spaniel that did the same exact thing (from what it sounds like). There really wasn't a pattern, she just had to go and didn't see any reason to hold it in the huge space that she was left in. Now, when I leave I put her and the chihuahua in the kitchen that I gate off to keep her from getting into a mess in the rest of the house. Our kitchen is good sized, but since she (like most dogs) doesn't want to lay or walk in her own mess she will hold it. I haven't had a problem since I started keeping her in there when I leave.
Hope this helps
:)

Part of the problem may be, too, that he is becoming an adult and is marking his territory.

I wish I could offer you more help, but sometimes you just have to find what works for your dog. Have you tried using the same techniques you used to housetrain him initially? Restricting him to a confined area is probably a good idea, and since he probably attaches a great deal of importance to sleeping in your room at night, perhaps after he's left you a "present" during the night, make him sleep in his restricted area the next night - or two or three. We had problems with Shiva messing in the house at night initially, but after she spent awhile sleeping in the laundry room, she got the idea in a hurry! The couch is vastly more to her taste. It was a surprise to have to do it, since our first Fila, Buffy, didn't even have to be trained; neither did Bimmer. That was nice!

I have a rottie named Achilles and I had a problem with him urinating and marking his territory for about 2 years and I caught him in the act one day and just said no but firmly and let him out in the backyard. Believe me they are so smart they know when you talk to them what you like and do not like. They go by the tone of your voice if you're upset, angry, or happy. Always give rewards when he is a good boy. I had to crate him in the day time when I was at work.

You should put gates around an area you don't mind cleaning,then he will urinate there. He won't get hurt,he will probably just fall asleep or play with his toys if he does that on his own.

Members online