Which breed is best for my family?

I am a 13 year old girl. I have a 7 year old sister and a 9 year old sister. Our family would love a dog, but these are the qualities we would prefer:

No shedding
Short coat
Medium Size (around 30-35 pounds is great)
Intelligent
Friendly
Obedient

WE also have a parrot, so some breeds may get along with him better than others.

What breed or crossbreed is best for my family? We were thinking schnoodle...

oriondw

user not active
Ya some poodle type or a mix

Poodle and schnauzer mutt would be ok too I guess.

nedim

I think you should look at some poodle rescues in your area. Sounds like thats the dog your family would be suited to own. Keep us posted and good luck with your search.

(If you wanna check out some breeds, go to www.dogbreedinfo.com )

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I think a bichon frise would be best. It fits all the above categories, except for the short hair. But I have to say, it seems like most non-shedding dogs are acutally long haired.

Fran27

First, schnoodle isn't a breed. They are mutts created by backyard breeders to make easy money. Same as labradoodles, puggles, jugs and all that stuff. I would stay away from it, and definitely stay away from petshops.

Welcome to the boards!! Nice to have ya'!

A "Schnoodle" isn't a breed (nor is a "puggle," "labradoodle" or any of those other doodle and such dogs). They're mutts - a mixture of Schnauzer and Poodle. They are bred by irresponsible people who just want a quick buck.

All dogs shed at least a little, but with curly-coated breeds you have to brush out the loose fur. No dog is hypoallergenic.

Check out www.petfinder.com and look for some poodles in your area :).

Thanks for all of your suggestions :) There are a couple problems that I forgot to mention though...
My dad does not want a small dog.
My mom does not want a big dog.
A poodle sounds like a good idea, but are there any types that are about 30 pounds? I'm new to this stuff.

And about the schnoodle...before we would buy one, we would definitely make sure that the breeder was not everything you mentioned. We would choose one that cared about the dogs. I know they are not breeds, but it could still be a good idea...right? :confused: Are all breeders of schnoodles irresponsible?

Why dont you just look at a Miniature schnauzer than.Yes all Snoodle breeders are bad.All they are breeding for is money.Toy poodles range from 4-9 or 10lbs,Miniatures from 10-15ish lbs.Standards from 35-60 ish lbs.Min Schnauzers are around 14lbs while Standards are 30 or 40lbs.

Doberluv

Anyone who breeds mutts when there are kazillions of them languishing in shelters is irreptuable because they're adding to the problem. Since they don't care about that, they also don't care about genetics, health issues or anything else. Look into what constitues a reputable breeder before getting a dog. Or go to a shelter and see what you can find.

A Standard Poodle is a medium sized, non or less shedding dog than most, very intelligent (2nd on the study I saw) and makes an excellent hunting/retrieving dog. They generally have lovely dispositions too. I'm not sure of the weight, but probably around what you're looking for. Good luck!

aurorab

Some people believe that breeding anything but a "PURE"breed is wrong. Plus there are a lot of people out there that breed "popular-at the moment" breeds just to make money. There are pure breed breeders that do the same thing.
W/ knowing that and also knowing that rescues or shelters might also have the type of mix that you would like (at a a very reduced cost- some breeders up the cost b/c they have "pure" or "popular" breeds). So do some research (on-line and here) and read the messages but most important thing is to make your own decision. You can listen to everyones opion but in the end you have to decide.

Personally I have 2 mixes both from a rescue and 1 pure breed from a breeder. There are a few populare breeds that I think are cute and the mix would actually fit better into my family. We had some long discussions and made our own choices on this subject. Your family will have to do the same. Everything has pros and cons and you ultimately have to find what fits best for you and your family and be willing to make a life long commitment. Also decide if you want a young dog or an older dog. Again both have pros and cons.
Good luck!

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
StepupTimneh said:
Thanks for all of your suggestions :) There are a couple problems that I forgot to mention though...
My dad does not want a small dog.
My mom does not want a big dog.
A poodle sounds like a good idea, but are there any types that are about 30 pounds? I'm new to this stuff.

And about the schnoodle...before we would buy one, we would definitely make sure that the breeder was not everything you mentioned. We would choose one that cared about the dogs. I know they are not breeds, but it could still be a good idea...right? :confused: Are all breeders of schnoodles irresponsible?
Yes Poodles come in Standard, Mini, Toy, and TeaCup look them up.

And yes again all breeders of schnoodles are irresponsible.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
There are irresponsible "schnoodle" breeders, but they are very rare and hard to find. It's much easier to check out your local shelter to find a mutt. I found fourteen doodle dogs in one search once!!! :mad:

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
Um, I would reccomend a Miniature Poodle. It is a medium sized dog, my friend has one named Micki, and he is apricot.
Bedlington Terriers don't shed, but they aren't um.. 'pretty'.
Unique tho.

Members online

No members online now.