My Local Dog Pound

Brattina88

Just in case there are any people on this forum even I little bit close I've decided to post this website Lorain County Dog Warden (OHIO)
Just recently there's been a huge jump in the numbers of dogs at this pound. It is one of the last KILL shelters/pounds in the area, and the dogs need help! Many have been kept past the usual week date due to sympathy from the workers, but their time is running out!
The website does not post ALL of the dogs that are at the pound due to lack of know-how about posting pictures/html.
Also, unfortunatly, the pit bulls are automatically put to sleep after their time waiting for an owner to come get them passes. Obvious pit bull mixes that look "weary" are also killed. If the dog snarls or bites they are not avalable for adoption either.
And what kills me - the Animal Protection League, the county's officail no-kill shelter takes their dogs to this pound, usually to die. What a wonderful No-Kill shelter, right?
If you're too far away go ahead and tell your friends, because any help is appriciated.

P.S- If anyone could give some solid advice on how to get started and bring things to peoples attention to promote change with the local animal organizations it Would Be Appriciated!!

Those dogs are heartbreakers! The "American Bulldog?" is a good looking dog, looks pretty Staffie to me, though. The Shar Pei mix certainly has distinct markings, kind of like Rottie markings.

Elyria is near Gallipolis, where my Dad grew up and most of his family still is.

Saje

Island dweller
Sad, I want more pups! :)

How to get started. Contact your local media. I don't mean just call. Type up the facts and contact information. Given them other places in the area to compare. Say this shelter practices this and this and this while this shelter in Smallville has a no-kill policy and better promotes/practises spaying/neutering. Something like that. Be clear. As a journalist, it's sometimes hard for me to decipher press releases. OR getting a note from the reception that says "Marge called." And nothign more. That's why it's good to leave them paperwork. Fax it if you can/want to.

Another thing you could do is put up fliers or start a petition. Get friends/kids to pass it around at work/school.

Contact interested organizations. Something like PETA but I'm not sure they are right.

Contact the local vets and see if they will give a discount on spays/neuters for animals from this shelters. That may help increase adoption.

One of the things that I"m starting to do for my local shelter is make up a weekly poster to put up in the pet store in the mall of all the animals needing homes. My thinking is that the pet store gets a lot more traffic than the shelter on the little off-street. The pet shop doesn't sell animals and is quite supportive of pets being adopted from shelters. That may not help you though.

Ok. Out of ideas. Good luck!

Saje

Great ideas, Saje! The AgriFeed and Pet Supply store where I buy my dog stuff is PLASTERED with adoption posters, and they sponsor adoption fairs there in the back warehouse area of the store where the shelters bring some animals, do a 'meet and greet' with propective owners, talk to people, etc. I don't think any dogs or cats are actually sent home with people on the spot typically, but they take the applications and go over them and interview if it's not too mobbed.

joce

I just posted that on another forum like two days ago. Me and my cousin where going to try and go and pull one out every week and try to get it adopted but we haven't put much thought into it yet. Thats where my little beagle mix came from. It seems that every couple of months there is some big scandal and then everyone is fired. The humane officer Mitch something has been trying for a while to get it all fixed. The problem is that they won't let outside people in to help. You can only volunteer if your on parole or community service. In the paper a while ago they had a thing about the people on the board quiting because it was so bad. If you haven't noticed the shelters almost as bad.

Brattina88

I typed a really long reply to this, but coudln't bring myself hit reply. Too much of a rant, but I felt like I got it all off of my chest, even if no one read it. :eek:
Joce, did you see all of the stuff in the paper? The drama with the old warden suposidly abusing the dogs at the pound? The APL taking a wounded dog to the pound and got in trouble for it, and only then did they fight the Erie Shores Humane Society to get it back. Had to be put to sleep if I remember right. A worker letting his pit bull attack a pile of dogs that'd already been through the death chamber to boost its ego to win a fight that weekend. . . ?
Is this not insane?!
You've got the problem pinpointed. They won't let anyone help. Thats just dumb in my oppinion. If you've got people willing to work wouldn't you let them? Shouldn't there views all be the same - trying to help the animals? The shelters are just as bad, from personal experiance, IMO. I used to volinteer at the APL. Key word in that sentence being *used*! I always get a lot of flak when I say that Mitch can be just as bad, but people don't get to see the real side of him like my mother and I have. Everytime I see him at the pound he's fighting to get the 20lb and under purebred looking dogs. How is that any better, I have know idea.

Thanks for the info Saje. I hope to get started and get things moving. I hope to have several allies and get this thing on the road, after all, it can't get much worse.

joce said:
Me and my cousin where going to try and go and pull one out every week and try to get it adopted but we haven't put much thought into it yet. Thats where my little beagle mix came from.
This is what me and my little group of 'rescuers' do occasionally. Its very rewarding if you can handle it, but keep in mind that it is not likly for anyone to help with funds, just your own pocket. That's where a recent foster, also a beagle mix (Roxy) came from. They get beagles there often because they wander off is what I'm told

Sorry so long... if it makes you feel any better it was going to be at least two times longer lol

joce

There was a group that wrote into the opinion page of the chronicle that were trying to get something done but I don't know how you would go about looking that up. I should have saved it.

It seems worse every time i hear about it. People kicking the dogs, dragging them back nd forth from shelter to pound, its so ridiculous! And how hard is it not to find someone who isn't a complete druggie to run the place. Wasn't it two people in a row that got fired for that!

She's rehomed a few already but they are just ones people bring to her or she finds. It's her house they stay at so I don't mind! The last one liked to spray on the walls! That took a lot of work. And there are so many people that dump strays out here where I live thinking that, its a farm, they need more dogs! ANd there are even more cats.

Some of the other shelters might have more of an idea too. I've heard good things about oasis in oberlin.
You definately could write into all the papers and raise a stink. They seem to love talking about it too. The last one had a contact number so you could always include an email address for people to contact you. Maybe the group that wrote it the first time would see it. I was joking to someone about calling dick goddard form chanell 8 but that really might be a good idea. If you did get a group together or want to draw attention to the fact that they are pts all the time he might actually say something.

I just feel so bad for the dogs.

Those are all such good ideas. I was about to put a post about how to get more recognition for our animal shelter but thought I'd check to see if there were already one on here and ...well here it is. Man I thought ours was bad but we're nothing like what the one ya'll are talking about. Luckily I work with our Dog Warden and I know for a fact he at least takes care of them -getting them medical attention when they need it and feeding them daily etc. They may not get as much personal attention as I'd like but at least they're not abused and mishandled. Our problem is that we're a REAL small county and the pound is county run, we don't have a local no-kill shelter either and the closest ones won't take our dogs cause we're out of their jurisdiction (even from the public). We don't get a lot of funding so we're limited on things. One is size - our shelter is small so it can only hold so many dogs. Once we get full our only other option (as of now) is euthanization, the ones that's been there the longest goes and unfortuantly it doesn't take very long to get full again - like 7-12 days really, we don't have a very large turn around either. We luckily get donations from a local Wal-Mart on food. When they get in a damaged bag or cans of food they set it aside to distribute to local pounds - us included. Last load we were able to get literally took up the whole bed of our truck. We have to buy a lot but that helps some. I would like to get the word out that we DO have a shelter and we DO have FREE adoptions (only requirement is to just have to get your dog spayed or neautered) and we DO offer fostering - which no one seems to know about any of that here in our area. I hadn't thought about the paper and I have a good friend who is a journalist that I could probably convince to do an article. Plus it's too far for me to travel every week but I might try to convince the Animal Warden to take my camera with him and get one of the guys up there to take pictures a couple of times a week and maybe I can print and post them at Wal-Mart (we're there every Saturday). As far as the article goes I have to be careful because if negative feedback come in from it, depending on how it's handled that could mean my job (politics for ya). I wish we could get public donations and volunteers but on most things insurance won't allow it (ie: building on to our shelter, assisting AW on jobs). Thanks guys for the suggestions - I'll get right on those!! If you have anymore just keep them coming!!

I like the ideas Saje posted.

I'm thinking of volunteering at a local shelter here. I emailed them on what kindof donations they needed, and one thing they said was volunteers, lol. I'm waiting to get an email back from them on what a volunteer would do (doesn't really matter to me if I'm cleaning out cages or playing with animals).

Good luck!

Saje

Island dweller
I'm not allowed to do articles on our shelter. LOL I'm too close to the subject. :D But I always give the ideas to my editor and she reassigns them when she can. That works for me. I still want to be as objective as possible.

JRMCOR

You don't know what you think you know

You really shouldn't believe all you read in the papers or hear from the likes of Mitch. Most of the issues you speak of are old or grossly distorted renditions of small issues blown way out of proportion. The Lorain pound has been on a real good up swing since about Oct. I can tell you how if you really want to help. Or are you another one of those fanatics who thinks they know everything - or do you really want to know what's what?

Pound

Yes i would love to help out anywhere at pounds or shelters! I volunteer at my local shelter to help find animals that are at the shelter loving homes.
~!~Mandy~!~
PS:please let me know some other ways i can help.
(Thanks)

joce

So tell me whats what. I know a lot of them are still being pts and they don't even have petfinder pages up for them. Why not? Don't the cons or felons or whatever they are do community service there? Couldn't they do that?

It may be better there but is it still only community service people who can volunteer? Great people to have the poor dogs around. People that don't realy want to be there.

Anyway- Tell me what there is to do then.

Tbecker48

Yes, I'm eager to hear what can be done too. A friend of mine along with other people are always sending emails to lots of people of pics from the dog pound. Asking for help to rescue them. I agree that some of the people who are doing community service could post pics of them on petfinder.

JRMCOR

OK, no argument that the volunteer issue needs to be better resolved. The main issue is liability. It is being worked on.

As far as the community service people go - lets get this straight, they never are allowed to handle any of the dogs, period. Their sole role at the kennel is to clean the cages. What better way to pay back the community. Proper supervision was a common problem that has been resolved.

If not already, very soon, the whole operation (front and back areas) will be under video surveillance. This will end all the rumors of any type ill treatment etc. of the dogs.

Adoption rates are up and advertising is being given high priority. They are working on a new video spot and Dick Goddard has agreed to be featured (no charge). He does a nice spot weekly on the news with adoptable dogs from area APLs etc., and his assistance will be great to help the kennel image and increase adoption rates.

The new "medical" fund has been setup and dogs in distress are now able to get some medical treatment. This is due to the generosity of the residence that purchased special tags to build the fund.

Adoption bulletins are now being posted in area store, government facilities, and business that will allow them.

Evening and weekend hours have been strengthen to provide better customer support.

There used to be a dynamic link to petfinder, do not know what happened to it will look into it when I get the right ear.

Still a whole lot more in the planning stages - want to know more?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
can we change the law and have the owner taken to the shelter..put in the cage..doing the time? taken care of by volunteers? just kidding, but wish it were true for some people around here.
video survaliance sure has helped in the daycare world..glad you are getting it for your shelter.

joce

What is the apls insurance? How does theres work? I realize it isn't possible to adopt them all out and that some are going to get put down and I don't see why they can't have volunteers go in and play with them. As scared as they may be it may even loosen them up and help them get adopted.

I never really got with all the abuse stuff anyway because what I've heard has been some pretty dumb petty stuff. I just think its crappy that all the money on a video system needs spent but I guess I understand that.

JRMCOR

The video equipment was free.... It was recycled from another county department. I agree with locking up the owners.... By the way you need a licence to own a dog - but anyone can have kids.... Kind a makes you wonder.....

You're right on the abuse complaints. Lots of behind the scenes crap going on with personal agendas and the likes not to mention certain people that like to see their name in the papers and so called rescue people taking the prime cuts - no offense to the legitimate folks doing heavy lifting for a good cause - but there has been so many pretenders that it's hard to tell them apart. This is another area that needs work.

I'm checking on some issue and will have more soon. There is a lot more in the planning stages and the future looks much brighter at the kennel.

As long as these discussions stay positive I will try to share "what's what" as best I can.

Tbecker48

It's really nice to hear good things happening to the pound. I noticed that the Portage County Dog pound has many dogs posted on Petfinder with the date that they will euthanized. I think that more people would see the dogs on petfinder compared to the Lorain County link. I know that the reality is that dogs are going to be pts no matter what, but it's nice to know that there seems to be some caring people in there now who want the best for the dogs.

I agree with you about some of the "so called" rescuers around this area. I won't mention any names either but we're probably thinking of the same one.

I won't get negative. I don't believe that does much good. Please, whatever can be shared is greatly appreciated. It's all about helping the dogs. We rescued our "Ricky" from there back in 1999. He passed away last February, he was about 13 but he had a wonderful 5 years with us.

Members online

No members online now.