Which Dog is best for me?

hi,
i am looking for a dog which looks cute and nice.i dont want to dog to shed its fur all over the place.i live in india and the temperature here is round 30 Degree celsius. the dog should be active and playful. it shouldnt bark at visitors , jump at them etc... i though a golden retreiver would be fine. do you guys have any dog which suits me?

thanks
vids

Hi, Vids

Here's a link that might help you. It gives good descriptions of a great variety of breeds:

http://www.dog-breeds.net/Dog_Breeds_Directory.htm

The American Kennel Club also has some good descriptions, although their breed choice is more limited.

http://www.americankennelclub.com/

It also might help you to visit different dog breeders in your area to see how different breeds act in their homes. Just remember to keep in mind that any good, dedicated breeder truly believes their dog is best! You've got to figure out which of these "best" dogs is best for you.
Of course, if you have animal shelters like there are in the US and other countries, you might want to consider adopting a dog. If you should choose to adopt an adult dog, you can have a pretty good idea of its behaviour, habits and the amount of grooming and exercise it may require. Several of my animals were adopts and they were all wonderful and frankly, less worry and labor intensive than some of the bred dogs I've had.

Please keep us posted on how your search is going and best of luck!

Renee

i like labradors too. but almost everyone in my street has a lab. so i though goldens would a bit different as nobody has one here.do goldens like children? i can spend around 3 hours in the evening with the dog and 2 hrs in the morning with the dog. since i am getting the dog in april, i have holidays then so i can spend a lot of time with him. maybe all day. but once my college starts i will be gone from 9 - 5. but he can have lots of toys and food so he wont get bored. are goldens intelligent ? can they learn lots of tricks ? which is cleverer? lab or goldens ?i dont like poodles... they are too small... any dog about the size of a golden would be fine :)

btw which isnt the download section working ? i wanted to download the dog E book and the ideal breed selection programs... if someone has it, can you email it to [email protected] ? please?
thanks

I've known some bright Goldens and some that were, well, too be polite, more than a bit dim. They're like people; one may be an Einstein and the other as thick as a brick.

The standard poodle that Serena spoke of is a large dog; the small poodles are the miniature, the toy and the teacup.

I really would recommend that you look at the websites in the post above. They will give you a good idea of what you can expect from a breed.

One thing that is important: is this your first time owning a dog?

yeah this is my first time. but i used to feed many of these stray puppies and dogs at the street.how are cocker spaniels ? i want an intelligent dog. of these three dogs which is the best?
1. Golden Retreiver
2. Labrador
3. Cocker spaniel

the factors to consider are
1. Hair Shedding
2. Inteligence
3. should have quite short hair or lthe lenght of a golden.
4. since i wont be at home for 8 hrs a day , he shouldnt get bored if he has his toys etc...
5. should be playful and should like people and children a lot.
6. should do with about 1 hr of excercise a day.
7. should be able to train easily. ( because i will train it myself. no prof. trainer )

which of the 3 dogs are the best for me?

Okay, the Lab has the shortest, least hair and will leave less of it around by shedding.

All three are hunting breeds and need exercise and something to do or they will be bored. Cockers are the smallest, and need less room to run than the Goldens or Labs. One hour of exercise per day isn't really sufficient for any of these dogs.

All three are usually good with children, but bored Cockers can get snappish at times. Bored Labs and Goldens will tend to be destructive, but bear in mind that, like humans, dogs are each different, unique personalities.

Have you considered something like a pug? They don't shed much, are very friendly and personable, bright, easy to train, playful, don't need excessive amounts of exercise and are very loving. They are excellent dogs for novice owners. You must keep in mind that feeding the dogs near your home is vastly different from a commitment to owning a dog. It is a long term commitment; you are responsible not only for your dog's quality of life, but for its happiness, its behaviour, in the long run, for its very life.

You're doing the right thing by asking questions. Keep asking and we will all try to help you as much as we can.

Brattina88

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with some of this.
bored Cockers can get snappish at times
:eek: You've forgotten I have one and I don't like that talk Renee (lol, shame on you :p lol) Cockers can be snappy if; you've gotten them from a bad breeder, ie. backyard breeder, they're provoked, or they aren't socailized well. Labs and Goldens do this too. I by no means want to turn this into a breeds war, but I've met more Goldens and Labs that are 'snappy' than Cockers, or Pit bulls...If there bored they get distructive as most dogs do, chewing on furnature... A lot of dogs do this type of thing if they're bored, and aren't taught otherwise.
dogs are each different, unique personalities
Very True
Have you considered something like a pug? They don't shed much, are very friendly and personable, bright, easy to train, playful, don't need excessive amounts of exercise and are very loving. They are excellent dogs for novice owners.
IME Pugs shed ALOT. Also IME Short hair dogs often shed "worse" than long haired breeds. They are very bright, but can be stuborn...
I DON'T want to turn you off of some breeds! Just wanted to let you know my two cents :cool:
The more questions you ask the better we will get at suggesting perfect breeds to match you
As for the poodle thing - looks can be decieving (sp?) They aren't the foo-foo dogs they are often made out to be. They're actual pretty good dogs, not prissy like one may think. ;)

Sorry, Brattina, I didn't mean to give the impression that Cockers were snappish as in biting, (I should've chosen a better word!) just that they are dogs who need to be around their people and need real exercise and playtime or they do get very bored, and I've noticed that personable dogs - like Cockers - tend to get cranky and pouty and will definitely let you know they aren't happy with the way things are going. My best friend's little black Cocker, Carter, is a hoot. If she's had to work or do too many things other than come home to play with him, or if she's had to be away for a weekend (in which case a friend who lives close by and Carter also adores comes to play with him and walk him several times a day) Carter will take it out on her when she comes back. He pouts, he grumbles at her under his breath, he gets surly and snappish (not as in "bite" snappish, just testy and cranky) and has to be cajoled and catered to until all is forgiven. Sometimes he won't even do his business until she comes home! Have you ever seen a constipated dog! I love the little Cockers; I just don't think it's fair to a dog like a Cocker to have very limited exercise and activity time. They are such sweet little dogs with so much personality; I hate to see one more become an unwanted "problem" Cocker simply because it's in a situation where it can't thrive. The same thing applies to Goldens or Labs or any other breed.

I don't think it's a "breed problem" so much as it is not taking into account what that breed does. Hunting breeds need exercise. They need a good amount of activity and active interaction with their people. I wouldn't suggest a hunting breed for someone with limited time for exercise and one on one activity any more than I would suggest a herding breed in the same circumstances. You just end up with a dog who isn't being treated fairly. There are exceptions, or course, like the standard poodle. Although they're historically a hunting dog, they've also been bred to be dogs who are comfortable and calm in social situations and seem to enjoy quiet times more than other hunting breeds.

You're right about some short haired dogs shedding a lot! I had a little Terrier who left brown and white hair on everything when the weather got the least bit warm. Pugs aren't too bad, though, especially when compared to some of the others. Let's face it, almost any dog is going to shed. We shed! The only dogs who don't shed are robotic! The main reason I would suggest a pug is that they are easier dogs for a first time dog owner than some of the more athletic hunting or working breeds. You kind of get some of the couch potato qualities of the mastiff in a small, convenient package without the inherent potential for problems a novice owner would have with a large dog. I would never, never recommend a mastiff for a novice owner! I love my Filas, but I certainly wouldn't recommend them to 99% of the people I know who are dog owners!

I still stand by my recommendation in my first post: for a first time dog owner (especially someone with limited time for activity and exercise) there's nothing like going to a shelter and spending time with some of the adult or almost adult dogs and find your new best friend that way.

Last edited:
hey,
firstly i am sorry i havent replied. but i have my exams going and i couldnt get on to the computer.
today, when i was on my way for a walk, i saw this lady taking her golden for a walk. it was a very adorable dog and was very friendly.i decided either i am going to buy a golden or a lab. as for the shedding, i can groom it everyday so the shedding is minimized. i will also buy it lots of toys and ask my friends to drop in now and then while i am away. i will be away for a maximum of 8 hours a day. some days maybe just 4 hrs or so. the reason i am not going for a pug or any other dog is that, it is hard to come across even backyard breeders with these breeds and they cost a lot...

When you go to pick out your new baby, be sure to get a good look at the parents. If they are calmer dogs, you'll have a better chance of a calmer dog. That's not a guarantee, since dogs are just like people in one respect - kids aren't always like their parents!

You sound like your heart really is with the Goldens, so you'll find ways to overcome any difficulties, and let's face it, what's living with a little hair compared to living a wonderful, loving creature who adores you, even when everyone else ignores you!

I hope your exams went well and weren't too difficult. Getting your new puppy will be a great reward for all that studying.

yeah your right. i really goldens.when i saw the dog some 4 years ago, one came straight to me and started playing. since then i love goldens.the hair isnt a problem to me. its a problem for my parents. but i can convince them. my exams are going pretty well. only 3 more to go then i will have my golden :)

you are right.the pup may not be like its parents. i once so a very ferocius doberman and its pup was quite the opposite. it was very friendly and a real nice dog. but you couldnt go near its mom with a 20 feet pole.

Fury

Vidyashankara said:
you are right.the pup may not be like its parents. i once so a very ferocius doberman and its pup was quite the opposite. it was very friendly and a real nice dog. but you couldnt go near its mom with a 20 feet pole.

A dogs personality comes from it's experiences as a puppy. There are of course breed stereotypes, but even within breeds you will find a variety of lines.

You seem to have your heart aimed at Goldens, nice dogs, but I would take the time to find a good breeder who carries some good lines. I am not familiar with Golden lines, but you may be able to find some bred with shorter coats.

Grooming will be a must to keep the shedding down. I find that daily brushing during shedding season will help them shed their coats faster and leave less on the floor.

I think you have to choose between shedding or long hair maintenence... or you can get a "Labradoodle" I heard some people were crossing Labs with Poodles to get short hair dogs that don't shed. Big $$$$$ though.

Golden retrivers shed

A cool web site ishppt://animal.discovery.com/guids/dogs/selector/profile.jsp :D .

Also IME Short hair dogs often shed "worse" than long haired breeds. [/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I have a long hair GSD and a 7 lb chihuahua, gues who's hair I find all over my clothes? LOL :)

Brattina88 said:
Also IME Short hair dogs often shed "worse" than long haired breeds.
I have to agree! I have a long hair GSD and a short hair 7 lb. chihuahua, guess who's hair I find all over my clothes? LOL
:) :) :)

Sheba

I W A L R
get a rottwei....never mind about that one!get a black lab/golden retreiver/rottweiler!!!!!!!1My dog is that and she is soooo cute and sooooooooo nice.SHE DOESNT SHED!!! :)

Hey!! I am Sikh and I visit India often usually Punjab and I know how hot it can be lol. I think the poodle is a good choice. Their is also another dog that i think that will be good, which is the Bichon Frise.

Members online

No members online now.