Crate training problems?

as most of you know this is my first time trying a crate. I don't know if it's the puppy or the method that im using. I let him out every night before i go to bed (not even 5 minutes before i crawl under the sheets) and it seems that every night, during the middle of the night, he piddles in the crate, on the bed, i don't notice it and it doesn't have much of an odor and since im sleeping i can't see him or hear him doing it to scold him. Unfortunately he has diarehea (i know i spelled that wrong lol) and when i pulled out his bed and all the comfy things he has, they were all soiled with urine. All things were cleaned and bleached after we got rid of apollo to eliminate the smell of another dog and we wiped down the crate with cleaner and then washed it again with just soap and water. Is this just a puppy phase he's going through? I get up every morning at 6 in the morning after going to bed at around 11pm, just to let him out to make sure he's empty but sometime bettwen 11pm- and 6am he needs to empty his bladder. What can i do to get him to stop peeing in the crate?

Another problem, whenever he's in that crate he whines, CONSTANTLY, it doesn't stop, and i've tried to ignore it and leave the room but when i leave the room it get's louder and then starts to turn into yelping and it's really really irritating - is this becuase he's teething? Or is he to young to teethe

he's 2 months, I do honestly go to bed every night at 11pm and get up at 6 am to let him out. All his bedding was cleaned as soon as i found the accidents there this morning. I'm just curious, i've had him since last sunday and he only started to do this at around wednesday which is strange... Hopefully it will go away!

I feed him about 3/4 of a cup of food once in the morning, then i take him out about 30 minutes later, then again at around 2pm and take him out around 30 minutes later, and the same at around 10pm. he eats it up, then i let him out around 30 minutes later for the last time then it's time for bed - but i DO let him have water throughout the night, he woke up in a bath of his own pee today so i think im going to follow your advice and take his water out of the kennel at around that time. He's doing alot better, he has some diarehea from changing the foods though, any idea how long that will last?

bogolove

He is probably not old enough to hold it through the night yet. There is some saying like for every month old a puppy is he can hold it for two hours, or something like that. I crate trained Brady and he was almost at 4 months before he could make it through the night. It takes time. Some people can get their dogs trained faster, and then there are very special dogs like Brady who want to be not only as smart as I want him to be, but smarter than me, so he felt he would go in that crate no matter what I said. But he did learn, it just took time and a LOT of patience. But don't worry, it will happen. Now he goes to bed at 9:30 and my hubby lets him out when he gets up at 5:45. And it even takes Brady a mintue or two to wake up and stretch and get out of bed. And he goes in at night without any problems and I give him a treat every time he goes in there on his own. And he is so good about it.

The diarrhea will depend on the food. You really need to feed him well before 10:00 p.m. Try to have him fed for the last time by 7:00 p.m. and see if that doesn't help, and keep taking him outside right before bed.

Batman

I'm a Rat Terrier
Hi Kroovy,
My puppy is now 12 weeks old and what we have done is set up his crate at night so he just a bit below bed level (crate is sitting on two chairs.) The first two weeks we were getting up every few hours. He would start whimpering and we would hear him. My advice would be to put his crate close to you so that you can hear him when he needs to go. You can also then put a finger into the cage to calm him down. I have researched this as well and several dog trainers strongly recommend letting the dog sleep near you at night, since they are pack animals. Batman rarely whimpers now at night. Honestly I can't imagine what it would have been like if he had not been right next to us!

If he is already very close to you could you try setting your alarm for every 2 or 3 hours?? The first two weeks we had Batman I was a mess (SOOO tired), but now at 12 weeks he is sleeping from 11pm to 4:30am (pee) and then until 6:30 (pee and wake up). I also have had advice to feed him his final meal earlier in the evening (5:30pm) and no water after 8pm. He just had a visit to the vet and is in perfect health and he is a very happy puppy. :)

And FYI - although it has been smooth sailing for us at night, he is peeing in his crate when I leave him from 9am to 11:30am. :rolleyes: Seems like each dog has his own issues.

Wow i'd have a hard time putting his crate close to the bed lol, my room is pretty tiny so he can still seeme and i tend to sleep on the side of te bed closest to the crate. But for me to put the crate on some kiind of pedastel i'd need another double bed to be able to support the size of it LOL. As for the food thing, he's had the runs for about 4 days now. They are finaly starting to get some sustanance. I'm going to try feeding him maybe at around 5:00 tonight, that way he might be able to digest it and poo it out before we head to bed that way he can wake up and he's not swimming in a pool of feces lol. He has stopped peeing in the ouse and pooping in the house, but now it's just a matter of reminding him it's NOT okay to do it in the crate either. I think he knows his crate is his safe haven cause whenever he chews something that isn't a good thing, when i go to get him something good before i punish him and give him the correct toy, he knows and runs right passed me and into his crate and lays down on the bed lol.

candy722

8 week old puppy can't hold their bladder through the night. Maybe at 4 month he will probably be able to. My Toki used to wake up and cry at 8 weeks and then I realize that he needed to go potty but not in his crate and that is why he whines and cries for me to take him out of the crate. Puppies at 8 weeks need to go potty every 2-3 hours.

Well it's strange - I have a bed in there for him here at my house, the crate is this oversized metal thing that i thought was a medium but turned out to be an extra large LOL. It's large enough for him to be in there with several toys and his bed, and he'll sleep but in the middle of the night he'll pee

I spent the night at a friends house, and he has an un used crate becuase his dog passed away last year. Since we didn't have a bed, he just layd on the bottom of the plastic in the crate and he didn't do anything bad! all night, for two nights in a row he did not defecate or urinate inside the crate
I just am wondering what is possessing this black metal box LOL

Another thing - Seperation Anxiety again perhaps?
When i put him in there to do christmas shopping, the whining that he does is so incredibly strange that it frightens me he sounds like a turkey, gobbling moments before it get's decapatated and served as dinner. When i come home there's diarehea all over the crate, he's rolled in it, he will not pee but he will poop. Even if i let him out before i leave. yet, When i take him out after i get home he goes to the bathroom again and it's solid
What is going on

LOL

Lucas

My pup is 3 months old, I goto bed at 11 and get up at 3:30am to let him out still, and i'm up for work at 7:am usually.

I don' want any mistakes, figure i can hold the routine a bit longer, better safe then sorry

Kroovy, it sounds like the diarrhea is probably caused by him being upset.

Have you tried tossing a very light blanket over the top of the crate when you leave so it will be more den-like and encourage him to be calmer and nap? Just be sure you don't cover all the ventilation so he'll have plenty of air circulation.

i've tried the blanket - LOL
he is a really tall 2 month old, he get's up and uplls it through the top of the cage, and it becomes a victim to the backdoor trots (poop)
I just don't want this to be another seperation anxiety case
I almost wnat to record the barking on the computer so i can allow you to hear what it sounds like.

it's not soooo mch liquidish anymore. It's semi-solid but has alot of mucus like liquid alo over it, and he mashes it into any stationary object near him. but his Feces is fine when i take him outside afterwards

DobeDad

I would suggest taking all bedding out of the crate. At this point its acting as a diaper, soking up all the urine. Take everything out (except some toys) and make him sleep on the base of the crate. My puppy learned not to pee in the crate after 2 days of this. Now that i've put everything back in she just loves it in there.

It's ACTUALLY funny you mentioned that DobeDad, i came on here to post that i finally got sick of washing the bed every day LOL so i took it out, and scrubbed the crate clean with soapy water. I left him in there last night, with his Kong ball that has a million treats in it, and his rubber bone. He did not poo once, he did not pee once, and when i let him out this morning he ran right up to the door and didn't pee at the door either. Wow. Sometimes you can really over look the most simple solution.

Members online

No members online now.