Dogtown.... **sigh**

Miakoda

As I was watching t.v. last night, I saw an advertisement/commercial for the new Dogtown series about the Vick dogs. And I was thoroughly disgusted and saddened.

Why? Because they made the comment about how the dogs were bred to fight and kill and were unsocialized and were vicious, yet through their training program and volunteers, the dogs have turned around and now make wonderful pets.

While I agree that we need positive publicity, portraying the dogs as vicious monsters bred to kill that with the "expertise training" of certain organizations, "miracles" can be performed. That's utter crap. And it's the same issue I have against the upcoming Animal Planet special.

I want to see a factual show that explain the truth about dog fighting, and I mean the actual truth, and explains about the true temperament of the dogs. The truth is fighting dogs make great family dogs.....they have for well over a century. There is no "miracle" needed to make these dogs love humans.

I'm sick and tired of all this propoganda that's only being used to fulfill the egos of some selfish and self-centered humans looking for their 15 minutes of fame.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
me too! the dogs can be rehabbed because they have proper temperament...people loving and wanting to please...let's not annoint ourselves Gods of Dogdom for "curing" a "monster" :barf:

Miakoda

I wouldn't even call it "rehab." IMO there is nothing to "rehab." The dogs are wonderful dogs, although most are DA. DA can be managed through training and being responsible (don't let your dog run loose to wreak havoc) so it's not a big deal.

A good friend of mine once said, "A good dog is hard to ruin." And I agree. I dog with the proper, stable temperament is very hard to ruin. And that's the way it should be.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I saw some episodes of Dogtown that were filmed before they had the Vick dogs, and I wasn't too impressed. They had this dog for 11 YEARS and now that he's old they start looking for a home for him. What else really got me was that they had to temperament test him with other dogs and stuff. You have a dog for 11 years and you don't know how he is with other dogs?? WTH?

mwood322

I hate that show.

They were "temperment testing" two hound mixes that came in together by putting them in with packs of dogs. They split the two hounds out into seperate packs of maybe 6 dogs. One was clearly terrified of a new dog in their "pack" that kept ATTACKING it. After the 4th or 5th bite the "trainer" broke the dogs up with an air horn and decided the scared bitten hound wasn't good with other dogs. Even though it never fought back... :mad: They had a note later in the show saying he had been adopted out with other dogs and was fine.

Nice to know they have absolutely no idea about body language...

--Mia

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I saw that one Mwood. There was another one where they just threw a dog in with another dog that was clearly bullying it, and they let that go on for too long IMO. Those people are morons.

Miakoda

These things make me glad we only have three channels.

And there is a thruthful fighting program, or so I have heard it is.

It's called "Off the Chain".

[www.offthechainproductions.com]
The truth is it's the betrayal of the owners, not the dogs.
You heard wrong. Very wrong. "Off the Chain" is just more media sensationalism, much of which is perpetuated by PETA and the HSUS. It is nothing more than shock value and of course they pick some uneducated nimrod who is nothing more than a street-thuggin gang-banging byb and street fighter to represent the "APBT owner/breeder" and video "dogfighter." Seriously, what true dogfighter is going to go on video with his voice disguised and face darkened out............none.

Every single copy of "Off the Chain" needs to be burned.

ttwillow

I am a Dog Town Best Friend supporter.

It's easy to bad mouth others from your soap box. How many Vick dogs did you rescue OP and the others posting on this thread? Dogtown took 20 of the worst of the Vick pack. Dogs who were very tramatized and were just going to be PTS. Read up on them.

I suggest you get in the trenches and see how it feels and looks from there before you start critisizing folks who are making a difference in a meaningful way for many animals, not just pitties.

Have you visited Best Friends site? Or read their magazine? They help so many animals from turtles, birds, dogs, pigs, horses, you name it.

As I was watching t.v. last night, I saw an advertisement/commercial for the new Dogtown series about the Vick dogs. And I was thoroughly disgusted and saddened.

Why? Because they made the comment about how the dogs were bred to fight and kill and were unsocialized and were vicious, yet through their training program and volunteers, the dogs have turned around and now make wonderful pets.

While I agree that we need positive publicity, portraying the dogs as vicious monsters bred to kill that with the "expertise training" of certain organizations, "miracles" can be performed. That's utter crap. And it's the same issue I have against the upcoming Animal Planet special.

I want to see a factual show that explain the truth about dog fighting, and I mean the actual truth, and explains about the true temperament of the dogs. The truth is fighting dogs make great family dogs.....they have for well over a century. There is no "miracle" needed to make these dogs love humans.

I'm sick and tired of all this propoganda that's only being used to fulfill the egos of some selfish and self-centered humans looking for their 15 minutes of fame.

ttwillow

PS....Dog Town is not on Animal Planet. It's on the National Geographic channel. It premiers with a 2 hour special on 4 of the Vicktory dogs on Sept 5th. There are going to be 16 episodes this season. I might just have to buy more cable channels to watch it.

ACooper

twillow, I don't think Mia was downing dogtown for helping, or even the way they run their program to help those dogs..............what I think she was saying is that the ADVERTISING (commercials and stuff) was disgusting.

I don't have much experience or knowledge with pitbulls and to me those commercials DID/ARE showing an evil monster that needs to be tamed. I know why they are doing it, it will draw more people to watch and thus boost the ratings............but it doesn't make it right and it DOES hurt the pittie image further to have such a publicized show portraying them as MONSTERS (if only in the commercials............the actual shows remain to be seen)

Chewbecca

feel the magic
wait, are you guys talking about the Vick special that is supposed to air on Animal Planet tomorrow night? The one where I think, Donna, from badrap speaks, and the chick from Animal Precinct (the ASPCA in New York) speaks?

Chewbecca

feel the magic
It's easy to bad mouth others from your soap box. How many Vick dogs did you rescue OP and the others posting on this thread? Dogtown took 20 of the worst of the Vick pack. Dogs who were very tramatized and were just going to be PTS. Read up on them.

I suggest you get in the trenches and see how it feels and looks from there before you start critisizing folks who are making a difference in a meaningful way for many animals, not just pitties.

Have you visited Best Friends site? Or read their magazine? They help so many animals from turtles, birds, dogs, pigs, horses, you name it.
Uh, I haven't rescued with my OWN HANDS, but I HAVE worked with dogs rescued and taken from dog fighters (one specific case which would be the HUGEST dog fighting bust in my state).
Some were under-socialized, but most were in Heaven the second you even looked at them.

I think they had a harder time "adjusting" to being in a kennel 24/7 and eating crappy food, than they did because they were used as fight dogs.

It's called "Dog Fighting", not "Human Fighting".
Just because a dog is a fighter of other dogs, doesn't mean he's ready to take out humans too.:rolleyes:

ACooper

wait, are you guys talking about the Vick special that is supposed to air on Animal Planet tomorrow night? The one where I think, Donna, from badrap speaks, and the chick from Animal Precinct (the ASPCA in New York) speaks?
No Becca, it's on National Geographic and it's a series show called Dogtown.

September 5th they are airing the Vick dogs http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dogtown

The Vick dogs didn't need normal people saving them. They had celebrities trying to get them. What about all the other former match dogs that are simply killed because it's easier that way?

Yeah, okay, not directly related to the topic I know. But the Vick case just burns me. It's dragged people over to the breed who feel like "aw de poor widdle puppies need saving," when the breed really needs less people interested in it. No, we've got to get a friggin' well-known star athlete going down and getting yet more publicity for these dogs. And that, of course, led to big names wanting to get their hands on these dogs so they could get their own little piece of the action. I don't doubt that they wanted to help the dogs, too, but as said earlier, why aren't they lining up to save regular ol' former fighters? Why did it have to be Vick dogs?

Sweet72947

Squishy face

I haven't personally rescued Vick dogs, or any fight dogs, but I am involved in rescue, and I do know what I am doing in terms of dog behavior. Some of the stuff I saw them doing (like the horrible dog introductions for example) had me yelling at my TV screen.

Members online

No members online now.