whinning when leaving/crate training

mikeyf26

I adopted a lab/collie mix about 2 months ago from a shelter. She's just under 9 months and has been fairly good and responsive to training. However in the last few weeks she has been getting seperation anxiety. I have been crate training her from day one. She will go in the crate with no problem even with out coaxing. Within about 3 minutes she will start whinning and barking. I give her what I consider good excersie (a 30 minute walk in the morning, short walk at noon and at 3, a 45 minute jog at 5:30, longer walk at 8 and a walk at 10). I leave a Nylabone and a kong with her in her crate, and make sure she has eliminated before putting her in there). I crate her during the day from 7 to 5 but do have friends and relitives walk her at noon and at 3. She has occasional accidents so I don't feel comfortable letting her have the place to her self when I'm at work. I also crate her at night. her crate is in a unused bedroom and I leave a radio on for her and shut the door. I have the crate partitioned so that she has enought room to lay and turn around.
What can I do to help her with this? is the crate in the right spot and right enviornment? should I increase the crate size? will she grow out of it? does she need medication?
Any input will surely put me at ease!!
Thanks in advance

I

iluvmydogs04

Hi,
I would try puting a greenie bone in there and a couple of toys i think it is in the right spot she wont get much bigger than what she is allready they do most of there growing at 6 mons. so you should be fien with the crate you have right now. and i would continue the walks.
Hope this helps,
Amanda

Do you spend some time just playing with her? Does she have room in the crate to do more than just turn around?

I don't use crates, being a bit claustrophobic myself, so I'm really not sure just how much room they should have, but I'd have to think that a dog would get a bit jittery and cramped up with just enough room to turn around.

Brattina can give you some good crating advice, and so can Serena.

Kbob

Hannah & Cole's Mom
Hello Mikef26,

I have had good results from crate training....
As a suggestion, maybe you could move the crate into your bedroom so that she is sleeping near you. The daytime problem is a little more complicated. You should talk to your vet because if the separation anxiety is clearly a problem...there is medication your dog can take such as Clomicalm.

The other thing that we have been lucky enough to have access to is Dog Daycare. Don't laugh now.. :-D I try to bring my dogs to daycare a couple times a week (depending on the weather). They spend the day socializing with other dogs and playing in fenced-in fields. They interact and play so much that by the time I get them home they are completely tired out. It almost lasts into the next day or two. This is a great outlet for dogs who have a problem being confined 5 days a week while their owners are at work. Try to see if there is anything like this in your area.

Hope this is helpful.
:)

Members online

No members online now.