Burying..

Tanner

Yellow Lab/Shepherd Mix
Hi Everyone!

I have a puppy named Tanner who is 6 months old. For the past few months, he is into hiding everything. It isn't really a problem, just never had this happen with any other dogs I've had. If we are out walking off leash and I give him a treat, he'll immediately take it, dig a hole, drop it in, and then bury it with his nose! Even in the house, he'll take his treats, bones, and toys and try to bury them in the blankets, sofa etc. It cracks me up, I have never really saw a dog do this and everyone thinks it is so funny. Just wondering if anyone else deals with finding treats and bones in odd places!!

:) Tanner's Mom

Oh, yeah! Kharma has her little nests in strategic places. You never know what she's going to take a fancy to, but if something's missing, just go look in her nests. :rolleyes:

And she hides all of the toys. It really frosts Shiva, especially when her squeaky is missing.

Hi Tanner, isn't it cute? I believe it stems from your dog's innate thinking that it needs to "save" everything of value to him. Wild dogs, wolves, etc. will bury their desired treasures. My beloved Yogi, a yellow lab, would not hardly ever finish his dinner. I got him as a starving stray. He would do what we would call "air scoops" to the rest of his dinner. He would act like he was scooping leaves and debris over the bowl, but it was only air scoops -- kind of like air guitar. I would always take his bowl back and save it for later. I've had other dogs who would bury their most beloved stuffed babies. I think it goes back to their ancestory and how they feel they must either save food or keep their stuff safe...

josephine

Yep all the time!Prita tries to hide her treats when she's indoors,she tries to hide it under the couch,under the carpet etc lol...but if it's not really hidden and i'm going to get the treat again ,she just decides to eat it lol I find it really cute

Barb04

Super Moderator
CJ is funny. She will put a bone somewhere on the floor and scrape her nose along the floor pretending to bury it. Then she takes her paw and pulls the bone out of that spot like she digging it back out. It's funny to watch. Luckily, she has never hurt her nose in the process of scraping the floor.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Mom's dog trudy always hides her treat unfortunately the others have figured it out and look for her best hiding places. Had a dog when i was a child that hid her treasures behind the couch and then would raid the klenex box and cover it with tissues. I was rotten enough to lean over the couch and say "I see what you got there" so she would have to start the whole process over. Victor takes his treasures to bed with him and noses them under the blankets. I roll over on his squeeky ball in the middle of the night or better yet his little bear that tells a whole story.

Members online

No members online now.