Official Ban Demonstration

pitbulliest

Spread the word guys..we have an official demo taking place at Queen's Park in Toronto, ON.

The web site encourages you to bring the whole family, including your
dog. Use your common sense. If your dog isn't used to big crowds or is
likely to provide the media with a nice clip of a snarling, drooling
pit bull - Leave it at home! I would probably encourage people not to even take their dogs.

Here's the link to the demo info:
http://www.goodpooch.com/home.htm

I'll be with you in spirit! The dogs that DO need to show up are assistance dogs, therapy dogs, search and rescue dogs; in short, dogs that are superbly trained and socialized. If the dog isn't 100% dependable in a crowd - like Pitbulliest says - leave it at home! The last thing that's needed is more ammunition for these idiots.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Did you see that comment on that website. This woman said that their neighbors dog barked and growled at her husband when he peeked his head over their fence!!! Well, DUH!!!! That dog probably knows that that guy is not supposed to be PEEKING his head over their fence...Geez, why are some people so stupid. I wish I could be there, but I think that would be a pretty good ride for me....lol...good luck...

Today i was sitting in a park and this woman came up with this BEAUTIFUL Pitbull i've never seen a dog this gorgeous, and it was with two smaller beagles. They got along great the Pit didn't growl or nothing. Of course, curious george (apollo) in the backseat ran from one side to the other shaking the car like a salt shaker trying to see the dog finally got his attention, Apollo's tail started wagging like crazy and he was whining and sniffing the window and the pit was standing outside, looking up at apollo, wagging his/her tail then looking at me then looking at apollo and then he jumped up on the side of the car and was licking the window it was SO Cute. It was just so well behaved, another prime example of a responsible owner with a very well behaved dog.

Later on today, i also saw another pitbull. Muzzled with a choke chain wrapped around it's neck.... The muzzle looked a little bit too snug. It just didn't seem fair!
They were two totally different dogs. one was running around and playing happily with his friends nad meeting apollo while the other one was chained down like some prisoner on his daily walk or something. It's so horrible... I don't know who all here lives in canada but i guess out "Vetrenarian Society(sp?)" Said to the government that banning pit bulls would only be a "band-aid" solution and if they wanted to eliminate all attacks then they would have to ban EVERY dog and they even said that there are other dogs that are capable of more damage than a pitbull. It made me happy to hear that, and im not normally one to listen to the radio, let alone the news.

I also heard soemthing about them saying that a proper law for preventnig pitbull attacks is to have a lisencing system and have the dogs muzzled at all times. To me that sounds a little bit more fair and more humane...

R

rottiegirl

Read the whole thing...

Pit-bull expert Semencic makes a more sophisticated argument as to why pit bulls shouldn't be singled out for regulation. Pit bulls, he says, were bred not to be aggressive to people. "A pit bull that attacked humans would have been useless to dog fighters," he contends; "the dogs needed to be handled by strangers in the middle of a fight." Any dog that went after a handler was immediately "culled"—that is, put to death. But Semencic's argument assumes that the culling of man-aggressive dogs is still going on—which it isn't. As Robin Kovary, a New York-based dog breeder and pit-bull fancier, acknowledges, "Once the word got out, 20 years ago or so, to youths who wanted a tough dog to show off with, the breed passed into less than responsible hands—kids who wanted the dogs to be as aggressive as they could be." Geneticist Zawistowski gives the upshot: "Irresponsible breeders have let the dogs' block against being aggressive to people disappear. They've created a kind of pit bull with what I call `undifferentiated aggression.' " A Milwaukee man learned this the hard way in January, when he tried to break up a fight between his two pit bulls and had one forearm ripped off and the other so badly mauled that doctors later had to amputate it. And this is exactly why pit bulls should be muzzled. most of the people who do not like pit bull bans are people who have not done their research and do not know the statistics. They just have or see some pit bulls who are nice and assume there is no problem with them.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
rottiegirl said:
And this is exactly why pit bulls should be muzzled. most of the people who do not like pit bull bans are people who have not done their research and do not know the statistics.
I'd be careful. I find it ironic that a rottweiler lover/owner seems to support pit bull legislation. In case you haven't noticed, rottweilers are facing the same kind of legislation. It's already going in other countries, and even some places in the U.S. If you're supporting the pit bull ban, don't be surprised if a few years down the road, your rott comes under the same attack. Don't believe me? Just call your homeowners insurance company. Many have higher rates for owners of pit bulls and rottweilers, and some will refuse to insure you altogether. They view such "aggressive" breeds as a liability.

And also, ALL of the points you make for supporting pit bull legislation can be applied to rottweilers. Sudden jump in popularity, high frequency of fatal attacks, irresponsible breeding, no guarantee of the "culling" of human-aggressive dogs. Don't support something that could eventually come to bite you in the @$$.

As for the demonstration, I hope you have a lot of participants. In case you couldn't tell, I'd be out there in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
R

rottiegirl

The facts are there

Pit bulls have killed more people in the US than rottweilers. There are more responsible breeders for rotties than there are for pits. pit breeders have pretty much ruined the breed, making them dangerous. If breeders do the same to rotties and then they start attacking and killing people I would support a ban for them too. My dog would never bite me, because I am smart enough to get one from a good breeder.

Ash47

Taco Dog
rottiegirl,
It would help if you had ALL of the facts instead of just the ones that are to your liking. Most people could not pick a Pit from a Lab. When they call in a dog bite, the victim will say Pit Bull, because it is such an easy target. Yes, the Pit is dangerous, but not to people. You need to watch a Pit around other dogs before you worry about them around humans.
Have you seen the percentages of Rotties that are in the paper or on the news for attacking people? Why are you pushing the "statistics" on us when you have a 'dangerous' breed yourself? I have a half Chow. I am not out there pushing for the breed bans. They need us on their side, not playing against them.

Most people could not pick a Pit from a Lab. When they call in a dog bite, the victim will say Pit Bull, because it is such an easy target.
Now there is TRUTH. I have seen, on three different occasions within the last six months, photos of "Pit Bulls" that attacked humans. Two were obvious mixes that were predominantly Lab and had no Pit appearance whatsoever, and one was a hound . . . Yet the bites were recorded as Pit Bull bites . . .

And it's well known in the legal field that 'eyewitness accounts' are notoriously undependable, erratic and erroneous. All of those "eyewitnesses" who swear up and down they saw a dog attack and can identify the dog as a Pit Bull are highly suspect.

Any breed has the potential to be a biter, especially a fear biter, and if the right stimulus is applied, any breed of dog has the potential to be a killer.

My neighbor's late chocolate Lab was running along with him one day, and suddenly a dog jumped out of the bushes and attacked his dog, Smokey. They got going at it, and the senile, or close to it, old guy owner comes out and gets bit by one of the dogs as he's trying to break it up. He calls the cops and reports that he was bitten by a "Pit Bull". The bite wasn't much of anything, one of the dogs just "pinched" the old guys hand.

I'm at home and the police dispatcher says, "A man was just bitten by a Pit Bull, address is...blah blah.." I knew what dog it was, it was an old GSD/Doberman mix that for some reason LOVED my Pit mix, but seemed to hate almost all others. Then a few minutes later, the dispatcher comes on and says, "The Owner of the Pit Bull lives at 1234 XXXX St". I laughed, "Smokey" hardly looks like a Pit, he was in great shape from all the running he did, but he wasn't nearly as muscled up as my dog was. I take my dog for a walk, and there were TWO local TV news crews there. I talked to one of them, and told them I knew both dogs and neither was a "Pit". They seemed to doubt me, but soon the scanner comes to life and the cop checking it out is talking to his Sergeant, and says, "The dog the victim is claiming to be a Pit Bull is a Chocolate Lab, and you and I see him with the blond guy running all the time!" The Sergeant comes back with, "It's Smokey that he says was a Pit Bull?" "Yep, 10-4!" "Well, get his info and stuff and let me see it" As soon as that came over the scanner, both news crews put away their stuff and took off as fast as they could. A Lab possibly biting an old guy wasn't news like a Pit was.

I have had a few people claim King is a "Pit Bull". If you think he's anything like a Pit, than you've never seen one...

filarotten

Fila the love
Owning a rott and a fila you come under a lot of verbal attacks from people . I have been told rotties are crazy, they will turn on their owners they are not trustworthy, and will eat children for breakfast. As I posted in the fire hydrant my mother-in-law thinks Filas are natural born killers(wasn't that a movie?) My dogs have been persecuted just like the pitts. People do not understand...pitts, rotties and even gsd have been fed glass, and gunpowder These are not normal breeders, but the ones who have caused these breeds to turn and have over-agression towards humans as well as animals. Thugs love to own them. They are a status symbol. Who has the meanest badest dog. So now we all suffer. Roxie jumped thru my family room window to get to a stranger standing on my deck when she only 1. That could be classified as extreme aggression, I called it protection of mom.. I was home alone. Oh and I have had my insurance cancelled because I had a Rottie and a Great Dane. I do not support any form of bsl. My dog is next in line in the b.s. and I will do everthing I can to protect her, and my fila. No one should support bsl!!!!!!!!!!!

filarotten

Fila the love
Sorry, I got sidetracked from some of the post. I hope the demonstration works. Good luck I would be there if I could but don't think I could make it there in time.

Members online

No members online now.